Forced Induction Post information/questions about Forced Induction here.

The 7thGen Nitrous FAQ.

Old 06-30-2003
7thgen Man-gina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01WingsWestCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation The 7thGen Nitrous FAQ.

Nitrous FAQ III
Relative Specifically to the 7th gen. Civic.

I am writing this FAQ because of the generalization and contradictions in the first two. I think they were taken directly off several nitrous manufacturers websites so they aren't specific to our cars, which we all know are the most important. If you see an error or need to add to this please feel free to do so. I am going to try not to go over the general stuff in the first two nitrous posts such as "what is nitrous?, or "how does it work?" I will try to be as specific as possible and relate everything to the 7th gen. Civic. I am also attempting to keep everything flowing. Once answer will lead to the next question.

Q: What's the difference between the wet and dry system?

A: While the dry system injects only nitrous into the throttle body, the wet system injects both nitrous and fuel. That's the easiest and most basic way to explain and understand the difference in the two.

Q: Should I use the wet or dry system with my car?

A: Its HIGHLY recommended by me and countless other people to use the wet system. The wet system will ensure you have enough fuel to burn with the extra oxygen that is required to burn with nitrous injection. While I think there are a hand full of people on the site running dry kits seemingly trouble free I would advise against it. Because of the lack of extra fuel, a "lean condition" will occur within your engine. This is hazardous to you engine and will cause detonation if you're not careful. Although a wet kit is a few dollars more expensive it will be easier and safer for your engine to properly use nitrous oxide.

Q: What's up with this return less fuel system thing?

A: Yes, we do have a return less fuel system. It basically means that we cant adjust fuel pressure. Our stock injectors cant accommodate the extra oxygen that needs to be burned with nitrous injection. If your injectors become overworked and go over 100% duty cycle they will lock up, and your engine will detonate. This is another reason its suggested to go with the wet kit. It will add the extra fuel our injectors are incapable of doing.

Q: OK, so I'm going with the wet kit, what shot should I use?

A: Start off with the smallest shot available in your kit. Spray a few times, check your plugs for detonation, tune accordingly and move up if you feel comfortable. The smallest shot will vary from kit to kit. The NX kit has shots available from 35, 50 and 75, while the Zex kit uses 55, 65, and 75 jet shots.

Q: Zex, NX... What kit should I go with?

A: This is all a matter of personal opinion and tastes. Some people like the ease of installation with the Zex kit, but may like the blue bottle that NOS offers. I would however recommend going with a well known name brand kit. Zex, Nitrous Express (NX), NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems), and Edlebrock are good quality kits. Each has its pros and cons, but they all do pretty much the same thing.

Q: Speaking of NOS, why does everyone give me **** when I say that?

A: Probably because you're using NOS to describe nitrous. As mentioned above, NOS is a brand of nitrous. A lot of people are **** about that kind of stuff. Personally I know what you're talking about so I wont flame you for it. However just say nitrous instead of nos so that your honest thread to ask a question wont get hijacked and turned into a post whoring/flaming contest.

Q: What's that you said about checking your plugs for detonation?

A: You should keep a close eye on what your car is telling you. After you spray a time or two, set aside some time to remove your spark plugs and make sure your not detonating. The color and type of residue will let you know if your engine is in trouble. Refer below for what to look out for, and how to correct problems.

THE PLUG: sooty, black plug coloration

WHAT IT MEANS: not enough nitrous/too much fuel, fuel mixture is too rich

HOW TO FIX IT: change your jets to increase nitrous or decrease fuel

THE PLUG: bluish or rainbow like coloring

WHAT IT MEANS: your engine is about to or is detonating

HOW TO FIX IT: ensure proper plugs are installed, reduce nitrous/increase fuel, ensure proper grade fuel is being used

When you check plugs, check EVERY plug. Due to the possibility of air/fuel mixture variations, you need to check every plug for signs of detonation.

Q: What was that about proper plugs?

A: General consensus says to use a plug two heat ranges cooler than stock. A factory type wide gap projected nose plug will produce a detonation condition. The detonation is not due to the heat range, it occurs because the ground strap of the spark plug becomes a glow plug instead of a spark plug. The ground strap is too long to dissipate the extra heat produced by nitrous. You can correct the problem by replacing the plugs with units that have shorter ground straps. Doing this shortens the heat path from the ground strap to the plug base. I use and recommend copper plugs.

Q: And what about proper fuel grade?

A: Again the general consensus says to use fuel with a minimum octane rating of 91. I use 93 octane fuel, it burns better, is better for your engine, and will help preserve the ozone layer. Using a lower octane fuel will cause pinging which will lead to detonation.

Q: OK, so can I use an octane booster?

A: Sure. However keep in mind how octane boosters are rated. If an octane booster has a 5 point rating, that means it will increase your overall octane rating by 5 tenths, not 5 whole points. So if you run 93 octane fuel with a 5 point octane booster, you'd be running 93.5 octane fuel.

Q: What about ignition timing?

A: General consensus tells us again to retard ignition timing 2 degrees for every 50 shot of nitrous you run. Many people also think its not necessary to retard timing. I personally am running a 55 shot with no timing change trouble free so far.

Q: Can I use a Jet or Hondata chip with nitrous?

A: NO. Again this is an ignition timing issue. Most aftermarket chips will advance your ignition timing. As stated above, if any change to timing is to be done, it should be to retard the timing, not advancing it. If your running a chip with nitrous you may want to check local bus schedules in your area.

Q: OK, so no chip, but what about nitrous with a turbo or supercharger?

A: First off, for the last time, THERE IS NO SUPERCHARGER FOR THE 7TH GEN. Most people only use nitrous with turbos to help spool up the turbo. If you don't know what turbos and spooling are, search, its lengthy and would be another thread in itself.

Q: I hear about purging, what is that?

A: Purge kits will clear your main nitrous feed line of any air, ensuring you inject pure nitrous. Purge kits also look sweet as hell. They blow a huge plume of pretty much snow into the atmosphere. Not only does it look cool, but its a good intimidation tactic to get out of a dreaded encounter with a Ford Festiva Type R.

Q: So I know the basics, anything else Ill need?

A: I would highly recommend a nitrous gauge and air/fuel gauge. A nitrous gauge will enable you to monitor bottle pressure to make sure you get the biggest kick out of your system. If you're going to get an air/fuel gauge I HIGHLY recommend you spend the three to four hundred dollars on a good gauge. Although I have one, a $70 Autometer air/fuel gauge isn't going to give you accurate information, its pretty much just good for a light show.

Q: I want to run a 100 shot, what do I need?

A: A different car or engine. Seriously though, the 100 shot is possible with a lot of money and patience. If you try to run a 100 shot you WILL be taking the bus. In order to get there, you would need to build your internals. The common things you would need are a new intake manifold, rods, pistons, cam, etc.. If I am leaving anything you deem pertinent out, please feel free to add.

I think that covers most of the questions I've seen relating to nitrous and our cars. If anyone see something I left out or need to correct please let me know. Also, use common sense when it comes to nitrous. If you just got your first car and came to the forum to ask what an intake is or how to install it, you shouldn't be using nitrous yet. Also if you think adding nitrous will make your car invincible, you're wrong again. Although there will be several more cars you can hang with or beat, there's still thousands of cars that will rape you without prejudice. Please don't drive around revving on everyone inciting races, you make us all look like boners. Lastly, be careful, don't kill yourself or someone else using this stuff. It's really nothing to play around with or take lightly. If used correctly and within reason, it can make your 7th gen. a lot more fun and a little quicker. Act stupid and you'll end up taking the bus or asking mom and dad for a ride.

Edit: Also a generic Nitrous FAQ is here:
http://members.aol.com/agspeed/nos.htm

Last edited by Havok2k1; 02-02-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-30-2003
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
nice FAQ
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

ghostshaddow is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

That was a sick post. One of the nicest I've seen, straight up!
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

tcostello3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have only ever had one strange question about nitrous and I am sorry to say you did not answer it. I did learn a few things reading your faq though..thanx! Here's my question:

What about us daily drivers? Can I park my car in the blazing Florida sun, in 100-108 degree outside temps., even when it's hot enough inside to kill a kid in 5 minutes flat?
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

aznrj is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, i am new at this stuff, can i install nitrous on a stock d17 engine, a wet one???when i say "can i install" i really mean, will it work w/ the engine, will it mess up the car??if so, what do i need to install nitrous? aftermarker fuel injectors??etc.. what do i need?
Old 06-30-2003
7thgen Man-gina

Originally posted by tcostello3
I have only ever had one strange question about nitrous and I am sorry to say you did not answer it. I did learn a few things reading your faq though..thanx! Here's my question:

What about us daily drivers? Can I park my car in the blazing Florida sun, in 100-108 degree outside temps., even when it's hot enough inside to kill a kid in 5 minutes flat?
it gets like 100+ some days here... i dont see what the problem could be otherwise i would think nitrous manufacturers would put some sort of warning on the instructions. also you have to think that a lot of this stuff started in cali where its just as hot. most reputable kits will expell nitrous if the bottle pressure gets too high, but i dont think that kinda heat could cause that. really good question though, but id say youd be fine.
Old 06-30-2003
7thgen Man-gina

Originally posted by aznrj
ok, i am new at this stuff, can i install nitrous on a stock d17 engine, a wet one???when i say "can i install" i really mean, will it work w/ the engine, will it mess up the car??if so, what do i need to install nitrous? aftermarker fuel injectors??etc.. what do i need?
you sure can install a nitrous kit on a stock car, thats whats so cool about the new kits. youd have to take the exact same precautions as someone like me with more mods, just check the plugs like the FAQ says. you dont need extra injectors, the wet kit will add the extra fuel that your injectors cannot, all you need is the nitrous kit... wet kit that is.
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

aznrj is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by 01WingsWestCivic
you sure can install a nitrous kit on a stock car, thats whats so cool about the new kits. youd have to take the exact same precautions as someone like me with more mods, just check the plugs like the FAQ says. you dont need extra injectors, the wet kit will add the extra fuel that your injectors cannot, all you need is the nitrous kit... wet kit that is.
THANX FOR THE INFO!! now i just have to choose which one will be suitable for me and my wallet..
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

What's up with this ZEX kit that opens at full throttle? How much can you use this stuff in the 55hp shot range?
Old 07-01-2003
7thgen Man-gina

Originally posted by tcostello3
What's up with this ZEX kit that opens at full throttle? How much can you use this stuff in the 55hp shot range?
As for your first question, the kit is hooked into your output voltage lead front the throttle position sensor. In other words, the kit learns the voltage at which your car operates at wide open throttle and will only spray at that time. As for your second question, im not really sure what youre asking. Do you mean how long will a full bottle last with a 55 shot? It depends on how much your on the bottle and how long you spray each time. It lasts a lot longer than youd think though.
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by 01WingsWestCivic
As for your first question, the kit is hooked into your output voltage lead front the throttle position sensor. In other words, the kit learns the voltage at which your car operates at wide open throttle and will only spray at that time. As for your second question, im not really sure what youre asking. Do you mean how long will a full bottle last with a 55 shot? It depends on how much your on the bottle and how long you spray each time. It lasts a lot longer than youd think though.
My question is even more basic. How much usage is physically O.K. for the life of my engine?

Of course now I'm onto this thread of the Turbo Discounters Turbo. Extreme vs. Superior? and that's looking nice Course I've heard I could have both with lots-o-work..top-2-bottom!

Decisions..Decisions..This ranks up there with Right-Hand-Drive!
Old 07-01-2003
7thgen Man-gina

hmm... i really dont know, as long as you have your car as long as you check the plugs and dont detonate the engine i guess.
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

You said DETONATION Yeah i'm thinkin' that's bad. I Just checked out the picks of your ride..Nice

Is that the ZEX Kit I was refering too?
Old 07-01-2003
7thgen Man-gina

thanks and yep
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

How often do you use yours? i'm afraid I'll turn into a junkie and run it 5days a week & I hit Full Throttle a-lot. I usually break 100-105 on the way to and from work everyday. Rain or Shine! That don't count cruisin' around on weekends! Oh-Yeah did I mention my wifes 03Si and her desire to go!
Old 07-01-2003
7thgen Man-gina

it will only activate at wide open throttle if you turn the switch on. the nitrous isnt on all the time, only when you want it to be
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

That's what I was wondering. How often do you arm it? In your experiences?
Old 07-01-2003
7thgen Man-gina

only when im racing someone, theres no reason to spray when youre just driving around town
Old 07-15-2003
We pre-game harder than you party!

supermanrjs is a jewel in the roughsupermanrjs is a jewel in the roughsupermanrjs is a jewel in the roughsupermanrjs is a jewel in the rough
Ok I have a question.....Where can u take your bottle to get it filled agian??
Old 07-15-2003
Registered!!

tiredwolf is an unknown quantity at this point
if u have a NX kit their website i think lists a couple of refill stations in each state
Old 07-22-2003
Registered!!

NBPCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
So the iridium spark plugs that i bought wont work with this kit?
Old 07-30-2003
Cracka

xtiszx is an unknown quantity at this point
i know the shucks store here refills them
Old 08-12-2003
Registered!!

Looney_01Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
i am thinking of putting a zex kit in and i have a question, I am wondering how long you can keep it at full throttle?? 5 secs?? will more fry your motor or what??? And would a bigger fuel pump allow you to use a dry kit??? If so would an accord fuel pump work?? Thanks
Old 08-12-2003
Registered!!

Mikee is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a question. what if ur nitrious is released and about to go fast but as soon as it was released a cop blinks his lights to pull u over. can u stop as soon as u release it or u have to keep going. another words can u stop rite away once nitrious is released? will it damage ur engine or anything else?
Old 08-13-2003
7thgen Man-gina

Originally posted by Looney_01Civic
i am thinking of putting a zex kit in and i have a question, I am wondering how long you can keep it at full throttle?? 5 secs?? will more fry your motor or what??? And would a bigger fuel pump allow you to use a dry kit??? If so would an accord fuel pump work?? Thanks
its recommended not to spray more than 15 seconds, but it shouldnt take that long to make a quarter mile pass anyways. dont spray in 1st gear, youll just spin tires, and dont spray in 5th gear
Old 08-13-2003
7thgen Man-gina

Originally posted by Mikee
i have a question. what if ur nitrious is released and about to go fast but as soon as it was released a cop blinks his lights to pull u over. can u stop as soon as u release it or u have to keep going. another words can u stop rite away once nitrious is released? will it damage ur engine or anything else?
youll be fine, just let off the gas and the nitrous will stop spraying... its not like youd really think to use it. just imagine your civic came with xx amount of horse power more from teh factory. thats what its like when you spray. everything you saw on the fast and the foolish.. think the opposite.
Old 08-20-2003
Need....More....Mods

02civic is an unknown quantity at this point
ok two questions, pertaining to me getting a zex wet system. How would a 75 shot be with the stock feul pump, and motor mount inserts. The FAQ says to upgrade these?? but your's doesnt??

Also, under 50 shot on the FAQ it says to get " New clutch. Yours will die after a little while."
this is the first i have heard of this.....is a new clutch necessary???

I also assume since we cant adjust our fuel pressure that there is no need for a pressure regulater....i know this is 3 questions but....i just wanted to make sure.

Last edited by 02civic; 08-20-2003 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2003
7thgen Man-gina

Originally posted by 02civic
ok two questions, pertaining to me getting a zex wet system. How would a 75 shot be with the stock feul pump, and motor mount inserts. The FAQ says to upgrade these?? but your's doesnt??

Also, under 50 shot on the FAQ it says to get " New clutch. Yours will die after a little while."
this is the first i have heard of this.....is a new clutch necessary???

I also assume since we cant adjust our fuel pressure that there is no need for a pressure regulater....i know this is 3 questions but....i just wanted to make sure.
im not running a 75 shot yet so i dont know how it would do with the stock fuel pump. to my recolection upgrading the fuel pump wouldnt really help because our ecu wont add extra fuel on its own anyways. keep in mind that when you change your jet size to a 75 shot, youll also change the size of the fuel jet so more fuel will get added as well.

ive been through 2 bottles on a 55 shot with no clutch problems. i would seriously pm 75shot and ask him how his engine/clutch are holding up, hes been running a 75 shot for a while now i believe.

no need for a fuel pressure regulator
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

NashVegasEX is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, I have ?'s and comments ... I have the Zex wet kit I've been running at a 55 shot for 4 months ... My clutch feels the exact same after 4-5 bottles through the car to answer that question... What I'm wondering is how we make changes to our timing... I have checked my plugs a few times and all looks good ... I am now ready to move up to the 65 shot and was wondering if we really even need to?
Old 09-15-2003
7thgen Man-gina

im getting ready to go to the 65 shot as well, without retarding the timing. from my understanding, the only way to really adjust timing on 7th gens is with something like an msd iginition box, or some other type of fuel management. i found a place that has an application for our cars the other day and ill be damned if i cant remember who it was or where i saw it... commence slapping of me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 7thGen Nitrous FAQ.