General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Camshaft Position Sensor Location

Old 02-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SwedeCivic81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Camshaft Position Sensor Location

Hi All,

Currently driving a 2003 Civic LX (Canada)

My CEL came on and when I checked the codes. P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor - No Signal. Can someone please tell me where this sensor is located? Is it an easy do it yourself job? Pictures or a diagram would be great as I am not having any luck searching online. Also in my searching, TDC Sensor keeps coming up. Are they the same thing?

TIA,

Swede
Old 02-28-2010
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Camshaft Position Sensor Location

this is also a good start:

"If you have the hood up, facing the engine, it is just to the right of the valve cover, underneath (closer to the ground) and behind (inset an inch or so) the timing belt cover. The sensor is oriented so that oval female connector it is facing the driver's side wheel. To locate it without first taking everything off, stand on the driver's side of the engine bay, and look or feel down the gap between the engine and the steel hoses (power steering IIRC) attaching to the quarter panel nearest you. There should be some cables terminating at a round rubber grommet 4-6" from the top of the engine - this is the electrical connection to the CMP. The gray plastic piece the grommet plugs in to is the timing belt cover.
To replace it you can do pretty much all the work with a 10mm socket - have some socket extensions of various length, gloves and patience. You'll have to remove the valve and timing belt cover - start to finish, it took me about three hours. I suggest getting a manual for visual and technical reference.
I was able to find this part at a local O'Reilly - part number CSS1618. Other stores (including dealers) in my area did not stock them. And, not only did they stock the part, they were the cheapest source - I compared the two parts once I had the original out, and the the new part was identical to the OEM, down to the factory markings."

and as much as i hate doing other people's work for them

CEL Code : P1361 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor A (Top Dead Center (TDC) Sensor) Intermittent Interruption

(car shakes, then RPM tach drops down to the last bar, if you accelerate the car ONLY goes 10-15mph tops even when floored & it feels as if your car became a 2cyl engine, & if you open your hood the temperature is so hot, even the plastic (fuse covers, stock intake box) feels soft and so hot that you cannot touch it.)

::ATTN:: for those who got their codes scanned at Autozone... please double check the codes when you get back home on the internet... the code they gave me for P1361 on their system was "Ignition Coil malfunction" i saw it for myself. but when you check the H-T's ECU its a whole different ballgame.

it turns out its a very known problem for the 01 & 02 civics, it wasnt a thermostat prob as a couple of member suggested to get that checked, it was a TDC sensor (top dead center) located right behind the timing belt shield. but i did check on the thermostat by doing the upper hose diagnostic.

so in the end if this does happen to your car change it a.s.a.p cause i delayed it and it couldve been fixed with a 70-90$ part... that sensor failure damaged my catalytic converter (used 200$)(new 750$), needed a valve adjustment (90$), 4x coils & 4x plugs (190$) all these parts gets damaged eventually if you drive it for a while. i was stranded more than 2 hrs away from home when it happened to me and that was all it took to ruin all those parts.

incase anyone has the same prob as me, ill post a small write up cause it seems like theres not much write-ups & diy's for this generation civic.

difficulty: 2 of 5
parts: TDC Sensor 70-90$ depending on which dealer, ive called 3 with all different prices. (its made by mitsubishi?)
tools: ratchet with 10mm & a 1in or smaller extension, & a screwdriver

1. remove valve cover 5 10mm bolts, (doesnt have to be fully off just enough for the groove of the shield to be removed.)

2. there is a grommet and a plug to the right side if youre standing in front looking down at the vehicle unplug those.

3. remove 3 10mm screws holding the shield.

4.move power steering reservoir over to the side for easy access.

5. if you fully taken off the valve cover then it shouldnt be difficult to remove the shield. but if you just slightly lifted the right edge like i did, pull shield off while lifting the valve cover & shimmy it around the a/c hoses.

6. once the shields off its 1 more 10mm bolt holding down the tdc sensor, reverse for install and start the car to check for cel's and inspect for leaks if youve damaged/changed the valve cover gasket while removing. voila! cars back to normal

BEHOLD! THE POWER OF GOOGLE!
Old 02-28-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

First did you go to autozone to get the code read cause there descriptions are not always right.
Old 02-28-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the info. I was confused by the description. I thought he was talking about the crankshaft position sensor. I also found another post with pics showing how to replace the Camshaft Position Sensor (TDC Sensor). However, I am still confused why code P0430 came up for me. Is it the same as P1361?

Thanks again,

Swede
Old 02-28-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02civicsi02
First did you go to autozone to get the code read cause there descriptions are not always right.
Yes, Part Source in Canada. The guy gave me P0340. But he told me it was the crankshaft sensor so I replaced that (pain in the a** btw) and that obviously did not solve anything.
Old 02-28-2010
^Warranty voider

Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SwedeCivic81
Yes, Part Source in Canada.
haha part source. what hosers ay?you silly Canadians ay?

sorry i'm still sore we lost to canada in hockey. I'm from buffalo ny so I take losses to canada personally. haha
Old 03-01-2010
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Cam sensor is under the cam gear (see pic). To get at it in the car, remove the upper timing cover.
Crank sensor is a huge pain in the ***, its under the pulley on the crank shaft.
Name:  P1010158Small.jpg
Views: 14957
Size:  41.9 KB
Old 03-01-2010
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Cam sensor is under the cam gear (see pic). To get at it in the car, remove the upper timing cover.
Crank sensor is a huge pain in the ***, its under the pulley on the crank shaft. (its not yet attached in the pic, but it goes just to the right of the timing belt gear on the crank).
Name:  P1010158Small.jpg
Views: 20010
Size:  41.9 KB