General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

DIY: RSX seats. (02 seats into 03 civic)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007
< My future wife.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
DIY: RSX seats. (02 seats into 03 civic)

Well I didn't really find a good DIY on putting rsx seats into our civics. I was a little bit in the dark in regards to how many bolts should line up and if I should try to bend/drill the brackets that didn't. Anyway, with the knowledge I read from a couple of threads, I just winged this install with my buddy and took some pics along the way.

Keep in mind I bought 2002 rsx leathers and installed them in my 2003 lx coupe. I don't know about all the other things regarding paperclip srs bypasses and such since I don't have side airbags or what have you.

Pretty straightforward install but we spent a good amount of time trying to figure out how many bolt holes could potentially line up before doing any permanent changes like drillling.

WARNING: DO NOT TURN YOUR CAR ON FOR ANY REASON WHILE THE BELT BUCKLES ARE UNPLUGGED ELECTRICALLY FROM THE CAR. IF YOU DO, YOU WILL GET AN SRS LIGHT THAT NEVER TURNS OFF AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RESET IT AT THE DEALER. IN FACT TO PLAY IT SAFE, JUST D/C YOUR BATTERY UNTIL YOU ARE FINISHED WITH THE INSTALL.

Here we go:

All these pics are for the passenger side seat:

Step 1&2: Take the plastic covers off the rear bolts/brackets. They should just snap off. Then unscrew the rear bolts.

Step 3: Unscrew front bolts.

Step 4: Detach 2 plugs under seats. The yellow one has this outer cover that you basically shift foward to get the mechanism to unlock.

Step 5: Use a screwdriver to take out all those stupid plastic tabs holding the harness from the car onto the underside of your seat. They were a b*tch to remove. They are the 2 tabs to the left of the plugs in the picture.

Step 6: Once the seat is out, unscrew the seat belt assembly.

Step 7: Remove seat belt assembly by removing plastic tabs holding harness in place. Socks + sandals ftw! It was cold. sue me.

Step 8: Screw seat belt assembly to new seat and run harness underneath seat.

Step 9 (optional): Take some ricer lowrider photos while wearing a backwards cap or upside down and backwards visor. This is the lowest you will ever be while in your car. Seize the opportunity.

Step 10: Bolt new seat back into car. The front two bolts should line up with some force. You can plug the harnesses back in at this point and use zip ties to keep em from dangling underneat the seat, or just plug them in after your seats are bolted in like I did.

Step 11: Bolt rear 2 brackets to floor. Only the one closest to the center console will line up with some force (on both driver and passenger side). You will have to drill the bracket as shown here and extend the hole more towards the rear of the car.

The rear bolts by the doors are a long ways away from lining up.

I did not feel like drilling into the car's metal (and ruining the stock bolt hole). I also didn't want to drill into the bracket since it would leave only a thin sliver of bracket left. This one is up to you.
You can also drill another hole in a separate place on the bracket and put a smaller screw in if you don't feel safe with your seats being bolted down in only 3 spots.

Step 12: Plug the harnesses back in under the seat if you haven't already done so.

I didn't have any seat belt warning lights or srs lights to show so

Last edited by armieo; 07-18-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough
Re: DIY: RSX seats. (02 seats into 03 civic)

mine are exactly like yours, only three holes, outer one not bolted in. it doesnt move unless you fold the seat up to let someone in the back, and actually lift up on it.

one thing i want to add is that some people may want to place washers under the bolt in the back if your seats are very off level.

good write up though. straight to the point.
Old 11-04-2007
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold

washers under which bolt? off level side to side or front to back?
Old 11-04-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

side to side, so you'd put them under the one on the inside in the back.
Old 11-04-2007
Wicked Pissah Admin
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future

very nice! I need to get a set...
Old 11-04-2007
Registered!!

they are nice seats, but you just don't stay planted in them, as with probably any leather seat. i'm hoping to sell mine and get some recaros.
Old 11-04-2007
Registered!!

izmaxx is just really niceizmaxx is just really niceizmaxx is just really niceizmaxx is just really niceizmaxx is just really nice

Nice writeup bro
Old 11-04-2007
Runumhard Or Go Home

bigainabuilt is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice slippahs!! Seats lookin pimp
Old 11-04-2007
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Woot! Sick write up- let me find you a gift!

Classic mean muggin ricer flix. One of the images isnt showing up kuz you missed the front bracket on the img tag.

Also, you'll get an SRS light if you put your key in the ignition when the srs unit is disconnected from the seat. Easy way to get around this- disconnect the battery if you have poor impulse control.
Old 11-04-2007
Type-Race

doctor will become famous soon enoughdoctor will become famous soon enough

welcome to the rsx seats club
Old 11-04-2007
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Did you think about the ep3 seats by any chance? I'm wondering how they compared if you did.
Old 11-04-2007
< My future wife.

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Did you think about the ep3 seats by any chance? I'm wondering how they compared if you did.
Thanks for the gift, triz. Fixed the img tag. Yeah I thought about the ep3 seats waay waay back a couple of years ago. The bottom of the ep3 seats seemed too thick (like our stock seats) for my tastes, and well I just don't like the material. It seems velour-ish such that every time you touch it, it changes colors. Looks kinda messy to me.
Old 11-05-2007
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

Step 9 (optional) that is the best part....awsome writeup..
Old 12-26-2007
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice

Mine will go in next week, thanks for the pics.
Old 07-18-2008
Registered!!

seelsy is an unknown quantity at this point

will 05 rsx seats work the same way??
Old 07-18-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

yes nothing changed between newer seats and the old except for the padding and quality of leather.