General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

DIY: So You Cracked Your Fogs? Fix it!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eni9ma is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile DIY: So You Cracked Your Fogs? Fix it!

Left to Right (After & Before)

Tired of busted foglight lens, go fix it. This DIY was done on OEM Style Foglights NOT OEM Fogs (But it should be the same)

Difficulty: 4/10 (Easy stuff , only need an 1 hour 1/2 of your time)
Cost: About $10

Materials Required:
Philips head screwdriver
Flat head screwdriver
Pen or Pencil
Tape
Lexan Polycarbonate Sheet (Buy from Home Depot, cost 8 bucks for a 12x18 sheet)

Dremel (If you don't have one, buy one it's the best tool ever)

Tube of clear Silicon I Caulk
Hair blow dryer

First thing to do is take your foglights off the car. There will be 2 Phillips head screws on the side of the foglight.

After you have taken the fogs out, on the backside of the fogs there should be 2 screws holding the foglight housing in place.

One here:

Another here:

Now you want to take the black bezel off, there should be 4 clips holding it down. Slowly and gently pry the bezel loose at these points with a flat head screwdriver (Don’t worry about pulling, there is no glue holding this piece in place):

Time to blow dry that sucker so that the silicon on the lens is soft for it to pop out. Remember if your lenses are shattered/cracked put a piece of tape across. It avoids cleaning up a mess of glass at the end.

Take that flat head screw and hold the lens down like this, and slowly lift the foglight housing up with the other hand. It should pop right off with the silicon still attached to the lens.

Tracing time, trace the outline of the lens using the foglight housing as a template.

Using the Dremel with a cutting wheel attachment cut your new lens out. Clean up any ruff edges with the sanding attachment for a perfect fit.

Bring out the silicon and start caulking. Going slow is key at this point. You want to put silicon around the housing area where the new lens will sit. DON’T PUT TOO MUCH IN THOSE GROVES (what will happen is when you put your lens in, the silicon will show. The bezel will cover some of it but not all so don’t put too much) But you can put a little more around the outside area of the lens to fill any gaps.

Now snap the bezel back on while it’s still drying, this will make the lens sit on the housing nice and tight.

After all of this you’re done, clean up any smear marks with rubbing alcohol. Now it’s sexy again. This will never discolor and it is crack proof. You might lose some visibility but hey they didn’t do much anyway lol.
Old 11-05-2006
Registered!!

flipmoderacer02 will become famous soon enoughflipmoderacer02 will become famous soon enough
great diy
might try it with mine since my left fog is cracked
Old 11-05-2006
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light
you should charge people for this service to make some money. So you wanna do it for ppl for a certain price and how much ?
Old 11-05-2006
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
great diy.......this just made my decisions about buying fogs alot easier....haha no more worry about cracked lenses....

but i can always use lamenx on the foggies
Old 11-05-2006
Registered!!

eni9ma is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by D5cIvIc
you should charge people for this service to make some money. So you wanna do it for ppl for a certain price and how much ?
I could make some money can't I, damn I shouldn't have wrote this DIY up LOL I just thought I would share, since I know alot of people have this problem with their fogs. This is about the easiest thing to do, just have to have the ***** to do it lol I would have never thought about doing it but man when my left fog cracked I said f*@k it and went to it. It was a piece of cake compared to clearing out your headlights so anyone can do it.
Old 11-05-2006
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
man is genius! i feel retarded that this idea never came to me before lol. I just shelled out more money for a new pair of foglights when my left side popped from flood damage

Im a dremel lover also
Old 02-13-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
yeah the oem fogs are glass, and mine cracked, so imma take em apart, and try to get some glass back in there, then cover it with like a thin protective film.

Bump lol
Old 02-13-2007
Registered!!

rednek is an unknown quantity at this point
Sweet DIY. I will probably be doing this in the next few weeks since one fog is cracked and the other actually has about a dime sized hole in it... however the hell that happened.
Old 02-13-2007
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
nice DIY...I wish I had fog light...
Old 02-13-2007
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
nice lexan polycarbonate is so damn strong...same material as bullet proof glass...good ish