General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

REAR BUMPER REMOVAL with diagram

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheOne will become famous soon enoughTheOne will become famous soon enough
REAR BUMPER REMOVAL with diagram

I know that this has been posted before, but I haven't seen any posts with actual pics. So here is a diagram that shows exactly where the screws/clips/bolts are located on a sedan. Some people need a visual sometimes, so here it is.

And although it is possible (but a real pain for big hands) to remove the tail lights without removing the actual bumper, it is often better to just remove it. It only takes about an extra 5 minutes to remove the bumper.

MUDFLAPS: For those who have the OEM Honda mudflaps, you'll need to actually jack the car up so that the tires are lowered slightly to allow you to fit a screwdriver deep in the wheel well and remove the screw. Hope this helps.

Old 08-08-2007
I'll flip out and kill people.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
modoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questioned
Re: REAR BUMPER REMOVAL with diagram

thanks for posting this. had to replace a taillight, and figured i'd check to make sure i could remember how to do it. forgot about those bolts by the tail lights.
Old 08-08-2007
Registered!!

TheOne will become famous soon enoughTheOne will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by modoman
thanks for posting this. had to replace a taillight, and figured i'd check to make sure i could remember how to do it. forgot about those bolts by the tail lights.

No problem at all. Hope it worked out.
Old 08-08-2007
RHCP0801 is my hero

1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute

you need to remove the tailights to remove the rear bumper

also you dont need to remove the bumper to remove the tailights, tailights come first. oh did i mention the tailights need to be removed first
Old 08-08-2007
Registered!!

cato1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1sykcivic

also you dont need to remove the bumper to remove the tailights, tailights come first. oh did i mention the tailights need to be removed first

No, but I'll mention it..... you need to remove the taillights first....
Old 08-08-2007
Registered!!

rushbuster70 is an unknown quantity at this point

i changed my tail lights without taking off my bumper and i have a sedan
Old 08-08-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 1sykcivic

???? u dont need to remove the tailights at all to get the bumper off. u dont even need to touch them. unscrew and pop off all the things it says in the diagram, give ur bumper a tug and it falls right off, what are u talking about? i did this yesterday.
Old 08-10-2007
RHCP0801 is my hero

1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute

unless you broke off all those clips under the tailights that hold the bumper im pretty sure you gotta remove it, well i did.
Old 08-10-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

nah, bumper comes off first. tails wont come off unless you take off the bumper and undo the bolts that cant be reached before. some of my clips broke tho so now my bumper doesnt snap on completely. really delicate plastic.
Old 08-10-2007
RHCP0801 is my hero

^^maybe for sedans, but for coupes the tails come off first
Old 08-10-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

i have a coupe bro. theres some screws u have to take out that are right behind the bottom of the trunk lid. when u close the trunk.. u wont see these pop-off clips. once u pop them off theres a couple of screws. use a socket to take them off and the bumper comes out. look at the diagram at the top. im talking about the ones that say 10mm socket.

i duno what happend to urs. my tailights are still in perfect shape and my bumper came off very easily.
Old 08-10-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DsevenEm2
i have a coupe bro. theres some screws u have to take out that are right behind the bottom of the trunk lid. when u close the trunk.. u wont see these pop-off clips. once u pop them off theres a couple of screws. use a socket to take them off and the bumper comes out. look at the diagram at the top. im talking about the ones that say 10mm socket.

i duno what happend to urs. my tailights are still in perfect shape and my bumper came off very easily.

No, Bro, I have the coupe and I replaced my tail lights in my drive way without ever taking off my rear bumper. Maybe it's the year of your car? mine's an 01, but my friend's 04 was the exact same I believe. I think you're mistaken. There are just some screws inside your trunk if you pull the carpet back. You seriously DO NOT have to take off your rear bumper for your tail lights. You only have to remove your front bumper if you're changing light assemblies.

This is stupid. Go read a guide somewhere on this site.

Someone close this topic quick before some kid is sitting in his drive way, crying, and sucking his thumb because he thought he had to take his bumper off, broke all the clips, and can't figure out where to get new ones.
Old 08-11-2007
RHCP0801 is my hero

^ ditto, i changed my tails like twice already and also took off my rear bumper to install my foglight
Old 08-11-2007
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

You guys make taking off a bumper sound so complicated.
I think closing this may be a good idea...
Old 08-12-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
You guys make taking off a bumper sound so complicated.
I think closing this may be a good idea...

People are dying for this to be closed....
Old 08-12-2007
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Done.