General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Custom Headliner?

Old 02-11-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ill02civic will become famous soon enoughill02civic will become famous soon enough
whats up ...yah ima doing my black/red louie vutton or coach when the weather gets a lil warmer here in jersey.....
Old 02-12-2007
Registered!!

drivlikustoleit is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by slickstarnz

Can someone tell me how to remove the light in the middle of the headliner?
Real simple, just pry off the lens by sticking a screwdriver in the side and carefully pry it off. There should be two (8mm?) bolts in there. Unbolt 'em, pull out the assembly, and unplug the wire. The wire is glued to the top of the headliner, you'll see once the headliner is down all the way. Hope that helps. . .
Old 02-12-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Originally Posted by drivlikustoleit
Real simple, just pry off the lens by sticking a screwdriver in the side and carefully pry it off. There should be two (8mm?) bolts in there. Unbolt 'em, pull out the assembly, and unplug the wire. The wire is glued to the top of the headliner, you'll see once the headliner is down all the way. Hope that helps. . .
I noticed yesterday in the manual it says there is a screw button you have to untwist- they showed it right infront of the dome light- but whats weird is I dont have one of thoes, and no1 else does for that matter- i'm guessing its a euro thing or something... whatevz.
Old 02-12-2007
Registered!!

slickstarnz is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks I figured it was something easy like that, but thought it might be smart to ask before I break part of the plastic and have to run honda and spend money on a new one.
Old 02-12-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
Originally Posted by IrockCivics
I have a question, I went to this spot around my way that do interiors so I asked them how much will it be to get my a, b, and c pilars, sun visors, head liner done in suede and they told me $400 now is that a good price? I really dont know too much about interior.
bump for this question... i wanna know as well
Old 02-12-2007
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
400 is a complete rip off when you can do it for the cost of materials yourself. Materials are cheap- at most $12/yard, you'll need several yards, and youl need an adhesive--> 25 bucks tops (2 cans), plus a little time on the weekend. Add that up, and you'll save at least 300 bucks.

matter of fact... send me your pieces and I'll do them for 250 if u pay shipping! 175 if you provide the material you want.
Old 02-12-2007
Registered!!

So true. It's a nice inexpensive upgrade. $400 is an *** raping.
Old 02-12-2007
Registered!!

Ok back to the dome light. I can't seem to find enough room to get a flathead in there to pry it off. Any tips as to what you guys used or how else I might go about it? I've already got the map lights and housing off.

An also does the flat covering at the rear view mirror simply pry off as well?

Thanks again guys.
Old 02-13-2007
Registered!!

Ok back to the dome light. I can't seem to find enough room to get a flathead in there to pry it off. Any tips as to what you guys used or how else I might go about it? I've already got the map lights and housing off.

An also does the flat covering at the rear view mirror simply pry off as well?

Thanks again guys.
I have these precision screwdrivers... basically tiny *** screwdrivers, that's what I used. They actually came in handy with a LOT of work I have done, so investing in those may be something you wanna do. The piece by the mirror was a bitch. i used absolutely no finesse on that whatsoever. All I know is you have to pull down on the part closest to the windshield and then do some prying on the sides. Any other ?'s let me know and I'll do the best I can to help you out.
Old 02-13-2007
Premium Member

dude... the rear mirror thing was SOO easy.... I know we got 11 pages, but we got 11 pages of information here with all these answered.

The rear thing... it basically just hooks into the area near the map lights. It has two hooks that kind of hug what its connected to (which is what Driv is talking about prying). Pull from the windshield side because there is another one of these hooks that hugs the block its connected to... get that off, and the rest will follow in suit, just pull straight down from the front.

the maplights, use a razor, and then use your finger nails to actually pry it out once you get it outta there a little bit... also, I cant remember what side you wanna pry first, i think its the part opposite from the slider switch, if you try anywhere else, it'll be tougher to get out. And wear saftey glasses- I dont want a razor blade tip getting stuck in your eye *shivver*

Last edited by TRIZ; 05-13-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-13-2007
Registered!!

Thanks for all the help guys and sorry to bother you again. I promise this is the last question (until i move on to the dash neway) how do I get the plastic piece that the sunvisor hooks into? I've already got the visors out its just I cant seem to yank/pry that thing out. And def rep to you guys that help(ed) made this alot faster and easier. Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
I JUST installed a custom headliner yesterday!! Red suede. It's tight. I'll start a new post on it probably tonight.
Old 02-13-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for all the help guys and sorry to bother you again. I promise this is the last question (until i move on to the dash neway) how do I get the plastic piece that the sunvisor hooks into? I've already got the visors out its just I cant seem to yank/pry that thing out. And def rep to you guys that help(ed) made this alot faster and easier. Thanks again.

turn it 90 degrees and stick a screwdriver in that hole, apply a little pressure and pull down at the same time.
Old 02-13-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Eyger
turn it 90 degrees and stick a screwdriver in that hole, apply a little pressure and pull down at the same time.
^^^Yup, yup. What he said. . .
Old 02-14-2007
Registered!!

Mombo is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow well I am new to the forums! Came across this thread during a Google search and was insanely impressed so I am now a member! You guys have done some insane work on your interior I love it.

I am working on mine as well right now. I CANNOT!!!!!! for the life of me figure out how to do my inserts on my doors. I have the 2000 DX hatch and the inserts on the panels are the really small ones that have all the bends and curves in it. The ones y'all did look extremely impressive. I tried to use a thick vinyl though anyone have experience with the model I'm talking about and know if using the micro suede instead would work better? Since it can stretch better maybe?

I am working on my Headliner as we speak! Should I take the material off of the headliner or leave it as is and lay the micro suede over it? It seems like it would be easier and a little but thicker if I lay the micro suede on top. Would the 3m adhesive hold those two together ok?

Edit: Hey my model is the one with the light gray and dark gray interior. All of the light gray stuff is all plastic like the pillars and what not. Do you guys think I should just take those out and paint them black? Or should I try to wrap them with a material too? Anyone have any suggestions for the Dark Gray stuff though? It seems to all be vinyl and what not.... Should I just leave it Dark gray with the black on everything else?

Last edited by Mombo; 02-14-2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-14-2007
Premium Member

Its up to you man, I wouldnt start painting my stuff black, paint is bad for the interior IMO. I posted a DIY on the door things, i'm pretty sure yours is simular, and just a variation of how to take the stuff apart. my boy has a 2000 coupe that I could look at I guess, I"ll have to take a peep the next time we kick it, which will probably be on thurs or friday night.

Leave the material on the headliner and cover that with it- use some 3M spray adhesive... read through the previous pages and you can get what I think about that stuff, and what some other members think about it as well (notice none of them post the exact kind of 3M adhesive they used). Get the stuff from the home improvemnt stores like Home Depot and stuff... where do u live at anyways??

as for the doors, I ripped that material off, sanded the surface a little, and then put a layer of microsuade down, and then another layer on top of that because the first bled through, and was too thin anyways. BTW, all of this is in the previous pages here (yes, even though it says custom headliner- I posted about the door and my process with the headliner as well). It takes some time, but just read up on em during your lunch break.

I did microsuade, I dont think I would have the pacients and stuff to actually get vinyl to wrap around the curves and stuff in the headliner.
Old 02-14-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Mombo
I am working on my Headliner as we speak! Should I take the material off of the headliner or leave it as is and lay the micro suede over it? It seems like it would be easier and a little but thicker if I lay the micro suede on top. Would the 3m adhesive hold those two together ok?

Edit: Hey my model is the one with the light gray and dark gray interior. All of the light gray stuff is all plastic like the pillars and what not. Do you guys think I should just take those out and paint them black? Or should I try to wrap them with a material too? Anyone have any suggestions for the Dark Gray stuff though? It seems to all be vinyl and what not.... Should I just leave it Dark gray with the black on everything else?
I took my material off, I figured it would have a better chance of staying up there for a longer time. But getting all that foam off was a fvcking bitch. I used 3m and it worked awesome, possibly since I was working with the bare headliner rather than going straight over the old stuff. It was 3m general trim adhesive. They have super trim adhesive or something like that, but right on the back of the can it says its not recommended for lightweight headliners or something along those lines.

I painted some of my interior. Both the light and gray dark pieces. I think it looks awesome, but after doing it, I realize it is going to be a lot of maintenance. BUT I don't want to have som pieces gray, and some black, so once the weather warms up, I'll be finishing that project and I'll be pretty much done with my interior. I already switched out the old carpet with a new black carpet and it looks sick as hell. I know everyone is just DYING to see pics. (yeah right--lol) but I don't think putting up pics. in the middle of everything is what people wanna see.

Good luck with everything though.
Old 02-14-2007
Registered!!

How so will painting the interior plastic pieces be high maintenance? What about the dark gray vinyl pieces are you going to paint them as well?
Old 02-14-2007
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Mombo
How so will painting the interior plastic pieces be high maintenance? What about the dark gray vinyl pieces are you going to paint them as well?
scratch it and you gotta repaint, if it bubbles in the heat, gotta fix it, if it gets sticky in the heat (typical of krylon type paints) and something contacts it, what a mess...

Now fiberglassing your interior, now thats going to be cool!
Old 02-14-2007
Registered!!

lol ya im no good with fiberglassing stuff failed horribly multiple times. I have taken the fabric off my inserts before and tried to redo it but I could not get it to have no wrinkles. I have the really small inserts though I think the coupes have the medium sized ones. The curves on mine are really sharp and big. Not smooth like the others. I am running over to the fabric shop right now to go check out the micro suede to see if i think it will work for the doors.

I am for sure going to do the headliner though I think all of yalls look sweet. As for the plastics pieces of my interior I dont know what to do. I absolutely hate the gray though. Is there any type of paint that wont have those problems? Its going to be going on the plastic interior pieces all of the dash is all vinyl stuff so I am not going to paint that. So for the most part the pillars and lower plastic pieces wont be in the sun.....only problem I can for see is the scratching of it. Need to do some good layers and clear coat it good maybe it will work out.

I wish there was a store on the internet that made replacement interior pieces for the civics. So I could just buy black plastic ones......
Old 02-14-2007
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mrDFWmechanic
here's an idea for ya why dont you go all out and do somethin crazy and cover your head liner with some bride material
omg! i just figured out what that car is.. an Infiniti G35...
Old 02-14-2007
Registered!!

Speaking of painting the interior...I've heard pretty good things about Duplicolor's Vynle and Fabric dye. Comes in a spray can and is not supposed to chip or anything.
Old 02-14-2007
Registered!!

Its spray dye for vinyl? Does anyone know how this works? Do you spray it on like spray paint and clear coat it or do you spray it on rub it in and let it sit and then wipe it off and hope it dyed it? Since the vinyl covering for everything in the car is so smooth it would seem very difficult to actually dye it rather then just paint over it. But if the paint was for Vinyl then that could be extremely useful.

Oh I went and grabbed some black micro suede from Joann's Fabric shop. They have it there for $12 a yard for anyone that needs it. I grabbed one of my sunvisors down and have been ripping it apart to try to do it first. Since taking the headliner out actually takes some work. Ill will prob pull it down once I decide to do with my pillars....even though I am leaning towards painting it.

Anyone have any good suggestions for paint for the plastic pieces in a 6th gen? Most of the pieces arnt in heavy sun and are shaded by the tint. I just need to grab one of those sun blockers I guess then there will be no sun :P

Im thinking about doing Flat Black with a couple clear coats on there give it some sheen but not over whelming....
Old 02-14-2007
Registered!!

The duplicolor goes on like a spray paint but is supposedly more chip resistant and everything than typical spray paint. As for your pillars I would personally wrap them in fabric, just looks more luxurious (like in the accords) but its your call.
Old 02-14-2007
Premium Member

replacement parts for the civic can be found at PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts, or buy them new at Majestic Honda - New and Used Cars - Civic Accord Element West Warwick, RI, or what else is there... just check thoes out. Go to a wrecking yard and get some interior from a 6th gen civic- they should be real easy to find. If not, then get some from another honda and try painting them. Experiemnt first ya know.

Wrapping the pillars in fabric... i'm starting to like this idea, although with a Tan interior and a RED headliner and door inserts (rallye red) what color would u wrap them in... a tanish color?
Old 02-14-2007
Registered!!

Yea I'd do tan as I will match and the red will be a nice contrast/highlight. I'll take some pics of my pillars here in a bit when I get tired of messing with the headliner.
Old 02-14-2007
Premium Member

good stuff, I just need to get to the point where I am psyched about doing my pillars, its hard to get psyched about, lol.. I got a few other mods on the way, exhaust, interior lighting, sidemarkers... have all the parts for thoes, just need the time, and then suspension (when i get some time) and now these pillars
Old 02-14-2007
Registered!!

The pillars are very easy here are my a and b pillars, texture and weave of the fabric didn't come out well but you can get a general idea.

Old 02-14-2007
Premium Member

yepp, thats clean. i'm sold.

what kind of material is that- like some spandex stuff?
Old 02-14-2007
Registered!!

Its similar to a mesh, if you've seen the inside of an 05ish accord its almost the same thing. Got a tighter weave than tweed and dif texture. Looks very good in person.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Headliner?