Recommend a forum for newbie

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nathanwauk is an unknown quantity at this point
Recommend a forum for newbie

Clearly everybody here is miles above me and what I am trying to do, so I'm hoping someone will point in me in the right direction of where to go. I'm just looking for a forum for people who own Hondas and want to share tips like good mechanics in socal and good practices for maintenance and maybe a few basic mods once in a while. Mainly, I'm just looking for a mechanic I can trust who isn't going to rip me off and at the same time continue to learn more about my car and do more of it myself over time. This place is awesome but it will be a long time before I am ready for this level. Hoping someone has a suggestion of where I can go now...

Thanks,

Nate
Old 11-23-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Recommend a forum for newbie

Welcome to the forum.

There is a lot of great info on here for beginners, as this forum has been around for a while. I'm sure there is a local forum around you might not be Honda specific. Check local reviews of local shops, see which ones specialize in Hondas. Hondas are a great car for learning DIY stuff and there are lots of DIY info about them.

What year civic do you have?
Old 11-24-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nathanwauk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I have a 2002 Civic EX that is in need of some expensive repairs, like a 100,000 mile service, probably a timing belt, and according to one mechanic, a new onboard computer. I did get an OBD II reader and have some other codes coming up as well (noted below in case you're interested). Anyway, it could get expensive quickly so I want to take the time to find a skilled, trustworthy, affordable mechanic. Anyway, thanks again and I'll keep digging.

OBD II results:
P0113 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage
P1298 Electric Load Detector (ELD) Circuit High Voltage
P1457 Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Control System Leakage (EVAP Canister System)

Nathan
Old 11-24-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum
It's not really my forum, I am just one that tries to answer a lot of the tech stuff. Seems like Google leads people to a lot of my posts LOL.

Why on Earth would it need a computer? I see nothing in your codes to indicate any need as of yet.

! see ELD code that is dead common and well known, Fix might be $23 mail order part

another code that might be as simple as someone unplugged the IAT sensor with the key turned on, (or broken wire) and

I see the EVAP code that should be easy for someone to diagnose-- provided they have the proper equipment to do so.