Malfunction light

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AZNRACR is on a distinguished road
Malfunction light

Hey guys, I was driving home tonight and then all of the sudden, when I took off from a light, my engine kinda shut off at 4K rpms, so I shift to 2nd and still the same thing. It only did that for about 10 mins or so. Does anyone know what it could be. I looked at the sensor on my intake and it is kinda loose, but I don't know if that would cause the 4K rpm thing. Please help!!!
Old 10-23-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Time for some ODB testing.
Old 10-24-2004
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
^ ^ yup yup
Old 10-24-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Rufus
Time for some ODB testing.
Ol Dirty Bastard testing??

or do you mean OBD?? hehe
Old 10-25-2004
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
No On Doard Biognostics
Old 10-29-2004
Registered!!

the code is a P1259(VTEC System Malfunction) anyone had this code before, or knows more about it.
Old 10-29-2004
Premium Member

It means your cigarette lighter is unplugged.
Old 10-30-2004
Registered!!

yeah, ok, thanks.
Old 12-20-2004
Premium Member

Well I shouldn't have talked so much **** cuz I threw thw same code today. Looks like there is a ton of wiring to be tested, but check oil levels too cuz low oil will keep it from engaging.
Old 12-21-2004
Registered!!

Tommy Tran is an unknown quantity at this point
Check oil level first... without my vafc my vtec would not engage if it was low(like to the bottom mark on my dipstick). Next make sure the corrector is on there good, unplug and replug it. Then...
The screen for the solenoid might need cleaning(it can get mucky). If it gets clogged it doesnt let enough oil/pressure into the pins to engage vtec properly.
-unplug vtec wire
-unbolt solenoid(make sure car is cool and a rag to catch any oil...)
-clean filter screen with something thats safe for the rubber gasket attched to the screen material.
-re install reverse of removal
-reset ecu by pulling clock/backup fuse underhood for 30 sec.
-drive
(I am not respsonsible for anyone f***'n up their cars...!)

Peace

Last edited by Tommy Tran; 12-21-2004 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-21-2004
Premium Member

I have already done everything on that list.
Old 12-21-2004
Registered!!

I have already done everything on that list.
From what I've been able to read on some other forums(I'm sure you've read alot of the same stuff) it can also be attributed to a wiring error or a short in the circuit somewhere. However(correct me if I'm wrong) this has only happened since you put the new head on and it worked fine previously... very strange... sulks off to read up on vtec malfunction and possible diagnosis...

Peace
Old 12-21-2004
Premium Member

Yeah, I'm burning oil so there's a leak somewhere. Might be oil pressure. At least now I now what it feels like to drive a non-vtec d17. SHI*TTY!!!!
Old 12-21-2004
Registered!!

Yeah, I'm burning oil so there's a leak somewhere. Might be oil pressure. At least now I now what it feels like to drive a non-vtec d17. SHI*TTY!!!!
So there are now several possiblities(for the source of the MIL)...
-Deck not seating and sealing properly(head gasket, but then you'd prolly be burning coolant too...)
-Valve guides/seats leaking
Those are the only ones I can think of that would allow oil into the combustion chamber assuming its from the head being off... and not bottom end(rings etc.)

Isnt it the same as driving under 5200rpm? Or am I off, the vtec comes online sooner?

Peace
Old 12-21-2004
Premium Member

Yeah you're right on the seals. I'm sure that everything was followed to the "t" on head installation. My only thought would be valves. Rings were fine before fo I'm sure it's in the head. I'm not sure when Honda set Vtec to come on but in "safe" mode it won't allow over 4k period. On top of that if it does, vtec will not engage.
Old 12-21-2004
Registered!!

Yeah you're right on the seals. I'm sure that everything was followed to the "t" on head installation. My only thought would be valves. Rings were fine before fo I'm sure it's in the head. I'm not sure when Honda set Vtec to come on but in "safe" mode it won't allow over 4k period. On top of that if it does, vtec will not engage.
How did you notice it was consuming oil? Blue smoke from the tailpipe or burning smell and checked oil?

Peace
Old 12-21-2004
Premium Member

I haven't noticed oil levels dropping but yes, the smell and the blue smoke.
Old 02-12-2005
Slow Down Im Gonna Spurt!!

JDm7thGen is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey man the same thing happened to me , go to discount auto parts and use there litle computer thing to test your car out, bc that was the same thing that happened to me (felt like my rev limiter kicked in at like 4000rpms) and i drove like that for about a week and before i new it my motor went...bye bye! Now I redid my ecu, new motor, turbo, interals, ive done it all it hits the street for the first time completely built next weekend