Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Chain of Events, HELP , puzzle.

Old 03-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gribur is an unknown quantity at this point
Chain of Events, HELP , puzzle.

Hey guys. I have been told that I need to supply proof of a chain of events which caused major engine failure, thought a challenge might be fun for ya. I was rear ended at 40km/h. The car ran terrible post collision. Got police report then had appraisal and waited for repair date. car ran worse during wait, lack of power, intake popping/misfire, rough idle. I phoned shop and they said that they thought since it was running lean on diagnostics that the accident had stirred fuel tank sediment and clogged or partially clogged filter/pump. Next day start car and small intake pop and then large intake backfire and parts fly out of engine from under car. Open hood and total destruction. hole in air box and new cooling fan shattered and taken everything with it. I now need to prove to my insurance that it is possible for a rear end collision to cause tank sediment to clog fuel pump and engine to run lean which could cause intake backfire into air box that shatters and destroys cooling fan which kills engine. HELP ME I know it sounds terrible but I know what happened, I just do not know how to prove it or how to get a class a mechanic to sign that it is possible. I am basically being asked to prove there is a god. I am desperate, it is our only vehicle. (cooling fan, fan clutch had been replaced brand new one month prior which put a halt to initial attempt to kill the claim, they tried to say that the fan had wear and tear and it blew apart due to age.)
Old 03-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chain of Events, HELP , puzzle.

What kind of car is this? Why no info in the post?

Is the fuel tank obviously damaged? (visual check under the car)

If there were a fuel delivery problem as a result of collision, I'd think a fuel pressure test and flow test should be completed and results documented. Maybe there is still enough of the system undamaged in the engine compartment to obtain these test results.
(A restriction such as a kinked fuel line in the pressurized part of the system would be more likely to show up as a flow problem instead of a pressure problem, so test all ways not just pressure!)

After getting test results that are out of specification, then maybe inspect and/or disassemble to see what exactly happened to the tank/pump/lines.

There could have been damage to the exhaust in the collision causing significant restriction and backpressure, that would cause a running problem but I couldn't say if it could cause what you describe.

Make the insurance company prove the crash DIDN'T cause the problem?
Old 03-31-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Cooling fan shattered taking everything with it?!? Everything like parts of the motor?

I don't see how your story makes any sense. I would get a new insurance company also.
Old 04-12-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Description of the "Member's Rides" section of the forums:

"Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!"

Yeah, I am jealous of your ride. NOT!

moving out to a random section mechanical issues section... No year given, so..