Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

2011 R18 Turbo Build

Old 06-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DrunkinStuper will become famous soon enough
2011 R18 Turbo Build

I guess I can start off by saying this is a hell of a job so far. I did a DIY for the removal of the front bumper for 8th gen civics, and will continue from there to here...

Currently the car is on a lift at the shop with the lower mount disconnected, turbo is installed, which had to be clocked 2 degrees aft. Currently struggling with removing the oil pan. If you have tips, i'm all ears because 4 hours of messing with just the pan has me drinking right now and waiting on pizza to be delivered.

Now the fun stuff... PICTURES!!!

Name:  IMAG0145.jpg
Views: 2983
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0137.jpg
Views: 3132
Size:  131.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0121.jpg
Views: 4265
Size:  141.3 KB

Name:  IMAG0084.jpg
Views: 2766
Size:  103.3 KB
Old 06-08-2011
=)

iSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the rough
Re: 2011 R18 Turbo Build

Sub'd ... interested to see end result !
Old 06-09-2011
Registered!!

The Pry spots I suppose I'll be using.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	civic oil pan pry spots.gif
Views:	707
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	80998  
Old 06-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

That looks good, i wonder if you got it hot enough with a heat gun it would just melt the sealant and drop..
Old 06-09-2011
Registered!!

Day two completed.... Accomplished... Removal and Re installation of the oil pan, reconnection of torque thing, drilled a hole in the side of my oil pan, welded a bung from the inside... tricky... installed the ac mount, torqued pan, torque thing, ac mount. Needless to say a total lack of a long day.

I got hung up on the oil pan, panicked... had a smoke... lowered the car and used a long pry bar, and rubber mallet to beat the crud out of the oil pan from the front at the 12 o'clock position on the oil pan.... it came off after 20 min of beating. And on to pictures.

Looking up into the motor with pan removed:
Name:  IMAG0153.jpg
Views: 3514
Size:  91.8 KB

The darn oil pan (unclean)

My weld job inside the oil pan, took my time, clean surface, good tig temp, and this is what you get when you want to do it right with a clear mind.
Name:  IMAG0154.jpg
Views: 2741
Size:  67.8 KB

The fitting I decided was better than what TSi gave me, a 7/8.
Name:  IMAG0155.jpg
Views: 3047
Size:  48.8 KB

The torque wrench I used for the oil pan bolts. Don't hate!
Name:  IMAG0158.jpg
Views: 2775
Size:  65.6 KB

As clean as I could get the oil pan.
Name:  IMAG0156.jpg
Views: 3073
Size:  76.4 KB

The pan installed, fitting installed, all torqued, and sealed with HONDA BOND 4, 3 drip spots, and that stuff burns on the face....

Looking forward to tomorrow... I'll be able to get started at 1000 instead of 1400 tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2011
Registered!!

Day 3 was a really late start, and didn't take many pictures.

Installed the turbo as a partial assembly (Turbo on housing, Downpipe with wideband installed) The thing I would of connected prior to installing the assembly would of been the steel braided coolent line behind the turbo... It proved to be a complete headache and took some time.

Draining the coolant
Name:  IMAG0172.jpg
Views: 2709
Size:  84.0 KB

Reattached the serpentine belt, a few attempts alone, but got it.
Name:  IMAG0167.jpg
Views: 2749
Size:  100.8 KB

Torqued Turbo assembly, but should of attached the line for coolant before putting it in.
Name:  IMAG0180.jpg
Views: 3694
Size:  145.3 KB

Ended up removing the coolant attachment from the turbo while it was installed, after several failed attempts to install it while on the turbo.
Name:  IMAG0183.jpg
Views: 2691
Size:  100.7 KB

The two connections for the coolant lines, clamped and installed.
Name:  IMAG0185.jpg
Views: 2776
Size:  105.2 KB

That was all for day 3.... going to add day 4 later. Tired.
Old 06-12-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Finally, you got that damn oil pan off. I guess it was just a matter of brute force, I was thinking about that again today and still couldn't figure out why it stuck on there.

Nice torque wrench, is that one of the snap on ones that beeps?
Old 06-12-2011
Registered!!

Yes, It has an audible beep when approaching torque then vibration once torque is achieved. It is built by Snap on.

I went to a car show today and entered the car for engine bay. This was my first car show that I entered something and actually came in first! There were only 10 of us in the engine bay competition. I finished this project last night at 1040pm, it runs pretty good, but haven't gotten on it yet.... going to wait for the tune. I'll be posting final day 4 here shortly but this is a picture of the engine bay I won with today....

Name:  IMAG0219.jpg
Views: 5530
Size:  136.7 KB
Old 06-12-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Congrats on the win! Nice to have a little pay off like that after a few tough days.

What are you thinking of doing next now that the turbo install is almost done?
Old 06-12-2011
Registered!!

And Final Day, Day 4:

Went in strong by removing the plastics, removing the coils, plugs, disconnected fuel rail, and removed injectors.
Name:  IMAG0188.jpg
Views: 3334
Size:  136.3 KB

Then Depinned the factory injectors as follows:
Removed blue adapter piece with a jewl set flat head
Name:  IMAG0202.jpg
Views: 2736
Size:  74.4 KB

Pushed down on small plastic clips inside injector clip housing
Name:  IMAG0203.jpg
Views: 2702
Size:  73.6 KB

And Removed both pins by gently pulling on the wire from the top of clip.
Name:  IMAG0204.jpg
Views: 2697
Size:  79.4 KB

Then it got tricky, the 410 injectors that come in the R18 TSi Extreme kit are numbered 1 and 2. I used port 1 as the positive, and two as the negative (Marked by a black stripe on all negative wires). After alot of messing around with possible ways to connect them via trial and error, this is what the pins and clip have to look like in order for you to get the full connection onto the injector.
Name:  IMAG0205.jpg
Views: 2736
Size:  65.3 KB

Push the wires in at the same time, and will hear and feel the small click of the pin being properly seated in the clip.
Name:  IMAG0206.jpg
Views: 2691
Size:  45.3 KB

Then push the white cap into the injector clip.... and push them in all the WAY, or they will not connect to the injector.
Name:  IMAG0208.jpg
Views: 2702
Size:  80.7 KB

Now repeat 3 more times, and this is what it will look like correctly done.
Name:  IMAG0209.jpg
Views: 3074
Size:  99.8 KB

After all the wiring its time to fight the fuel rail on the right side, and the metal locking clips for the injectors... I have no pointers for that part. Its a pain in the rear end but have a magnet handy. I installed the injectors, then the fuel rail (without bolting down yet) then the metal clips, and finally tightened the fuel rail after all said was done.
Name:  IMAG0211.jpg
Views: 2804
Size:  133.9 KB

Then install the valve cover gasket, valve cover, replace spark plugs with (your choice) Denso Iridium 1 Step colder, install coils, and finally fuel rail plastic, and wiring plastics.

After that was done I took the angled brackets they included in the kit and make them flat. Measured the width of the bracket, marked the top of the bumper, and used an angle grinder to take out two chunks for my intercooler. Next I made sure the intercooler was not touching anything and drilled a hole in the bumper, then popped a rivit, and moved on to the next hole. I did that process 8 times because if you mark then drill everything, then pop rivits it will not line up. take your time, make it right, be professional. This is what my end product looked like.
Name:  IMAG0213.jpg
Views: 2677
Size:  72.2 KB
Name:  IMAG0212.jpg
Views: 2764
Size:  122.3 KB

Next I added oil and coolant, connected the battery, flashed my ecu with hondata, and the TSI 410 base map. Then I turned the key on and off 4 times to prime the injectors, and fired the car right up. It high idled then calmed right down. No CEL. I let it run for 2 minuets, then shut it off. Checked oil level, tightened one coolant line, and added a tad more coolant to the system. Started the car right back up and let it run for 10 minuets. Cooked all the preservatives off the turbo (smoked for a little bit) and went of the first ride around the corner and back. Adjusted one vibrating charge pipe, checked fluids, temps, and called it a day. Drove it home with a smile.

I'll be getting my tuning done tomorrow and will be recording the dyno runs. Expect a link to youtube by Wednesday after editing. If anyone has any questions, I know first hand what your problems are going to be, and can answer virtually any question about this installation. They put this install at a level 3, but i would rank it as a 4 on a chart of 5. I am also a helicopter mechanic for the US Army, past 10 years, so I do have mechanical knowledge. I wouldn't suggest anyone without access to a shop to try and install this at home. It was nice having a lift, and closed area. This project took me 4 days, and half a night of wiring of UEGO and TrueBoost gauges. I will not romp on my turbo until its tuned by a professional.
Old 06-12-2011
Registered!!

I am going to get the car tuned, and start looking for a intake manifold. That will be the last of it for a little while... until the clutch go's out. But when the clutch go's, I believe i will be looking at internals and body weight management next. The goal is to keep the car stock looking from the outside.
Old 06-13-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Amazing job man, looking good. You really know what you're doing, and it really shows through your posts. Can't wait for those dyno numbers
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

Thanks man. Running dyno right now. 174whp on mustang dyno running 4lbs and tuning cam via hondata right now. I will put up final numbers tonight.
Old 06-15-2011
Registered!!

198.3whp @ 8.3 lbs
Old 06-15-2011

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DrunkinStuper
198.3whp @ 8.3 lbs
Those are sick numbers! At stock it was running what? Something like 140 bhp?

And I'm kinda a torque noob, never really understood how the numbers and measurement worked. What exactly is the relevance of the lbs?
Old 06-21-2011
Registered!!

The lbs I'm referring to are boosted air intake manifold pressure added. 8.3 is where I am still at, and going to hit the dyno once again on friday. I will break the 200 mark on a mustang dyno. Ive had this set up for a week and a day with the tune, and still tuning. Its more of a pain than i thought. Freaking computers.

Here is a pic of my gauge pod that finally came in last night.
Name:  IMAG0255.jpg
Views: 3556
Size:  81.9 KB
Old 06-21-2011

Originally Posted by DrunkinStuper
The lbs I'm referring to are boosted air intake manifold pressure added. 8.3 is where I am still at, and going to hit the dyno once again on friday. I will break the 200 mark on a mustang dyno. Ive had this set up for a week and a day with the tune, and still tuning. Its more of a pain than i thought. Freaking computers.

Here is a pic of my gauge pod that finally came in last night.

OOOH Ok, I finally get how torque is measured :P AND NICE GUAGES