Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

My TSX HID retro finally finished!!!! Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
My TSX HID retro finally finished!!!! Pics inside

Well, i finally finished my retro. i still need to get my harness installed, but that should happen tomorrow. right now, everything's in, it's aimed halfway decent.

so i started with a perfectly good set of TYC housings and removed the mounting screws.

as you can see, the TSX projector is much wider than the TYC mounting location is. time to start cutting.

started hacking away. this is about where i stopped with the housings:

the shrouds were not so fortunate. i cut them all to pieces trying to get the TSX projector to fit.

i eventually realized it would have been easier to cut off one corner of the TSX projector mounts and leave the shrouds. so, i cut the projector and took about 2 weeks repairing the shrouds. here they are back to normal.

i had to design my own mounting bracket and method to adjust the projector so it could be aimed after the headlights were put back together. after much cutting, sanding, gluing, banging head on wall, and more, i finally got them mounted.

and the back side. i wound up having to cut a good chunk out of the back of the pvc fitting to clear the support beams in the car. i don't have pics of that though.

and finally ready to go on the car

finally mounted on the car. if you're not ready for your car to look like this, then you're not ready to do a retro:

right side. you can see where the fog light ballasts are mounted.

left side. again, fog light ballast. it sucks because anytime i need to deal with the fogs, the bumper has to come off.

and all back together. i painted the shrouds to be a close match to the silver of the car. i like the final results. i know the big thing here is the blacked out headlights, but i don't care for them too much unless the car is black. black headlights on a non-black car just looks wierd. i like this more subtle effect better. blends in and looks more OEM to me (i know it's not) i didn't want the contrast the black would bring. just my opinion.

and now for some outputs. i drove for 20 minutes trying to find a white wall. damn southerners want to put brick on everything, so this is the best i could do. i'll keep the camera in the car incase i find a white wall at night sometime. at least you get a feel for the cutoffs. this is just the TSX lowbeams.

and just the fogs. i've been fighting with these things for weeks. the rotation is off on both of them. i had to make little wedges for them to sit on to correct the rotation. i still need to fine tune them, but the main thing is that the fogs aren't hitting oncoming drivers in the eyes anymore! the cutoff was curved on both of them, so i've been tweeking the sheild. it never ends. they're nice to drive with though.

and here's both the TSX and the HID fogs together. i was quite surprized by how much the fogs add to the TSX. the TSX are sweet, but the fogs still add a lot of light on the road.

a couple daytime shots.

oh, parts list....
HEADLIGHTS
Matsushita Gen 3 ballasts
Philips 85122+ bulbs (kind of wishing i got the non + though)
TSX projectors
TYC aftermarket projector headlamp housings

FOG LIGHTS
Blazer projector fogs
894 PNP kit from ebay

next on the chopping block are some 16" rims, Eibach Pro Kit springs and Tokico Blue struts to drop it and an upgraded RSX-S rear sway bar. so there it is in a nut shell. so what do you think? it's my first retro, so be gentle!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tyc1.jpg
Views:	2338
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	80695   Click image for larger version

Name:	tyc2.jpg
Views:	2298
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	80696   Click image for larger version

Name:	shroudschopped.jpg
Views:	2266
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	80697   Click image for larger version

Name:	backcut.jpg
Views:	2302
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	80698   Click image for larger version

Name:	shrouds.jpg
Views:	2294
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	80699  

Click image for larger version

Name:	mounted.jpg
Views:	2279
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	80700   Click image for larger version

Name:	mounted2.jpg
Views:	2273
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	80701   Click image for larger version

Name:	mounted3.jpg
Views:	2246
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	80702   Click image for larger version

Name:	closedup.jpg
Views:	2205
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	80703   Click image for larger version

Name:	retromount1.jpg
Views:	2253
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	80704  

Name:	retromount2.jpg
Views:	2248
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	80705   Click image for larger version

Name:	retromount3.jpg
Views:	2209
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	80706   Click image for larger version

Name:	retrofinish1.jpg
Views:	2266
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	80707   Click image for larger version

Name:	retroouttsx.jpg
Views:	2199
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	80708   Click image for larger version

Name:	retrooutfog.jpg
Views:	2217
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	80709  

Name:	retrooutboth.jpg
Views:	2228
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	80710   Click image for larger version

Name:	retrofinish2.jpg
Views:	2342
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	80711   Click image for larger version

Name:	retrofinish3.jpg
Views:	2517
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	80712  

Last edited by electric130; 04-17-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-27-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold
Re: My TSX HID retro finally finished!!!! Pics inside

good job...i wouldnt have done all that but um...i give u an A for effort and A-for outcome...just because i dont like silver headlights. good job tho, give u props for taking it on.
Old 03-27-2007
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by D17sRuNtunable
good job...i wouldnt have done all that but um...i give u an A for effort and A-for outcome...just because i dont like silver headlights. good job tho, give u props for taking it on.
thanks man. i know not everyone will like the silver finish, but i don't like the black or gunmetal finish that a lot of people do. if these weren't already painted when i got them, i would have done them chrome. i would have prefered chrome and may still do that someday if i can get another set of chrome shrouds cheap.
Old 03-27-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ballatician has a spectacular aura aboutBallatician has a spectacular aura about

Looks good, can't wait to start my retrofit this summer.
Old 03-27-2007
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

looks nice....TSX are they color modded?? they look blurry for TSX projectors..
Old 03-27-2007
Registered!!

2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice

^^ yea what he said. either way goodjob looks nice
Old 03-27-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by Devani
looks nice....TSX are they color modded?? they look blurry for TSX projectors..
yeah they are. 2-#8 washers on each nipple, so 8 total washers for the pair. i noticed i lost some sharpness once the headlight cover was on, probably due to some minor scratches and such on the cover. when you're driving though, you don't notice the cutoff unless you're parked in front of a wall. on the road, you can't tell, so i'm not worried about the sharpness. it actually is less fatigueing on your eyes if the cutoff isn't as sharp.

Last edited by electric130; 03-27-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2k1civic01
^^ yea what he said. either way goodjob looks nice
thanks!
Old 03-27-2007
Registered!!

SilverCivic504 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by electric130
thanks man. i know not everyone will like the silver finish, but i don't like the black or gunmetal finish that a lot of people do. if these weren't already painted when i got them, i would have done them chrome. i would have prefered chrome and may still do that someday if i can get another set of chrome shrouds cheap.
High Five... I dont like black or gunmetal housing either
Old 03-27-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by SilverCivic504
High Five... I dont like black or gunmetal housing either
awesome!
Old 03-27-2007
I need a drop
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

thefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the rough

looks very original. im digging it.
Old 03-27-2007
Registered!!

EggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enoughEggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enough

looks great. how much did it cost and how long did it take from start to finish? I'm still waiting for someone to do a retro with the oem housing because thats what I want to do
Old 03-27-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

looking very clean
Old 03-27-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by EggRollBandit05
looks great. how much did it cost and how long did it take from start to finish? I'm still waiting for someone to do a retro with the oem housing because thats what I want to do
i worked on it in my spare time. it took about 3 months. it could be done in a much shorter time span, but i didn't have a lot of time to put in to it. i worked on it maybe once a week for a few hours. the harness is turning out to be a bigger pain than i thought. i've been working on it for about 6 hours now and i still have the left side to do. so figure another day for installing the harness. here's some average prices:

OEM ballasts $150-200
OEM projectors $110-350
OEM bulbs $50-150
spare set of headlights $150 (don't think you can do this to your current headlights in a weekend because you'll be without a car! )

a lot of these components can easily be found on the low end of the prices. if you were really hard pressed, you could get a PNP D2S kit off ebay for $120, but you'd only be saving $50 and the reliability factor isn't really worth it to me.

as far as the OEM headlights go, talk to "mikenam". he's got a pair of TL bi-xenons with ZKW lenses. that's pretty much the king of all HID setups right now. it pretty much smokes anything out there as far as output, performance and color. i've seen his car in person and they're very impressive. you're talking close to $500 for the projectors and lenses though. maybe $400 if you can find a deal. problem is that the ZKW's come on specific BMW headlights. so you've got to buy a set of TL projectors and a set of BMW projectors. at any rate, you can go with a set of E55 bi-xenons for around $110 and put them in the OEM headlights for an 01-03. 04-05 would be a tight fit for a bi-xenon, but a single low beam might fit alright. the 01-03 headlights have a ton of room and are a retrofitters dream come true.

Last edited by electric130; 03-27-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2007
Registered!!

buckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the rough

Good job man. It looks good. I'll be getting my headlights from custom lightz soon. I'm having them put e46 projectors in my black chrome password jdm headlights.
Old 03-27-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by buckshizzo
Good job man. It looks good. I'll be getting my headlights from custom lightz soon. I'm having them put e46 projectors in my black chrome password jdm headlights.
thanks! you should be pretty happy with the E46's. i've heard some good things about custom lightz. you'll be hooked once you get them. it will annoy you to drive a car without HID's!!! next you'll want HID fogs (if you don't have them already). i've got another thread all about the fogs i have. they're perfect for HID's. awesome results.
Old 03-27-2007
Administrator
Administrator

well, i just got my harness installed. it took me about 8 hours to do it, but i was cutting everything to exact lengths on the car and putting the connectors on as i went. originally, the fogs would turn off when the high beams come on, but since i didn't want the HID fogs flashing all the time, i switched it back to where the fogs are independantly controlled by a switch inside the car. what that means is that i can have lows, highs and fogs all on at once. i know that's illegal as hell, but hey, so are all H4 PNP HID kits. i have 100w H1 halogen bulbs in the high beams. i just took it for a drive after aiming the high beams some and with the fogs, lows and highs all lit up on a dark country road, it's like daylight! it's just stupid the amount of light on the road!!! i pitty anyone that might get a glimpse of that before i can turn the high beams off! although, i do feel safer driving on dark roads since i can see so much better.
Old 03-27-2007
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

good work on the retro..hope to do one someday here. i gotta get my car outta the shop though
Old 03-27-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

they're not adjustable, are theY? meaning you can adjust them anymore once they're sealed up? i didnt see any adjustment screws.

damn, seeing this makes me wanna post mine up. hahhha
Old 03-27-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
they're not adjustable, are theY? meaning you can adjust them anymore once they're sealed up? i didnt see any adjustment screws.

damn, seeing this makes me wanna post mine up. hahhha
i can't adjust the rotation, but i've got full up, down, left and right adjustment of the projector. there's 3 screws inside the pvc fitting that you can't see. due to all the crap behind the headlights, i can't adjust them in the car. i have to take the bumper off and remove the headlights. i've done this so many times in the last 2 weeks though that i can have the bumper off, remove the headlights, adjust them and have everything back together in 10 minutes. so yeah, i can adjust them without having to unseal them.
Old 03-27-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

we need pics on white wall! and pics of the lights on the car.
Old 03-28-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by electric130
i can't adjust the rotation, but i've got full up, down, left and right adjustment of the projector. there's 3 screws inside the pvc fitting that you can't see. due to all the crap behind the headlights, i can't adjust them in the car. i have to take the bumper off and remove the headlights. i've done this so many times in the last 2 weeks though that i can have the bumper off, remove the headlights, adjust them and have everything back together in 10 minutes. so yeah, i can adjust them without having to unseal them.
very nice bro.
Old 03-28-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by gearbox
we need pics on white wall! and pics of the lights on the car.
still no white wall, but here's some other shots. i tried getting a shot of the flicker, but didn't really get it well. kind of got the left one, but not the right. i think i needed to stand farther over to get both or something.

here's a closeup of the low and high beams on together.

low beam only:

low and fogs:

low fogs and highs (actually before i aimed the highs up a little)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	retroflicker.jpg
Views:	2204
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	80716   Click image for larger version

Name:	retrolowhigh.jpg
Views:	2190
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	80717   Click image for larger version

Name:	countrylow.jpg
Views:	2173
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	80718   Click image for larger version

Name:	countrylowfogs.jpg
Views:	2159
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	80719   Click image for larger version

Name:	countrylowfoghigh.jpg
Views:	2165
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	80720  

Last edited by electric130; 04-17-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-29-2007
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold

Flippin' sweet retro! I wish I had more time to do another one (the right way...)
Old 03-29-2007
Registered!!

blackonblack has a spectacular aura aboutblackonblack has a spectacular aura about

**** son that is alot of light..looks good!
Old 03-30-2007
Registered!!

buckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the rough

Damn that's bright.
Old 03-30-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by dirtySAMURAI
Flippin' sweet retro! I wish I had more time to do another one (the right way...)
thanks man. that means a lot coming from you considering anytime someone asked me about a retro, i'd refer them to your DIY. your DIY is how i got started, and then some help from HID Planet.

yeah, these are done. not sure i'd call them "the right way" based on how much i had to hack everything apart, but the end result is good.

i've got to reaim the headlights though. i put a trailer hitch on the car. it only weighs maybe 35-40 lbs, but since it's all the way on the back of the car, it pulled the back end down about a half inch. that combined with having about 300lbs of stuff in my car (i'm moving), i was getting flashed like crazy last night because my beam pattern was in people's eyes. i didn't realize till i was half way into a 2 hour trip because i left right before sunset. by the time i knew how bad it was, i couldn't do anything about it. now i've gotta rip the front end off again and fix them. that will have to be a project for the weekend.

and thanks to everyone else for the props!
Old 10-15-2007
'05 still rolling...

SpecialKPB will become famous soon enough

They looks very smooth, bet they turn a few heads at night. what advice would you extend if you were to do those again?
Old 10-15-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by SpecialKPB
They looks very smooth, bet they turn a few heads at night. what advice would you extend if you were to do those again?
thanks. looks just like a TSX at night (especially since a TSX is just an overpriced 7th gen civic). i did re-aim them and i love them now.

as far as advice, definitely buy a second set of headlights if you plan to do any retro, not just this one. the TYC's were very difficult to deal with due to the irregular housing. installing these in an OEM housing would have been easier. even if you don't have a seperate high beam like the 01-03's, these things are bright enough i have only used my high beams to flash people. i never feel the need to use them for more lighting at night. either way, take your time and do it right. don't rush. use the regular JB weld, not the quick. it takes overnight to set, but it's much stronger.
Old 12-25-2008
Registered!!

mike_gabs is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,

i impress, just wandering much thus it cost you if you dont mind asking. i'm thinking of upgrading mine. thanks.

mikey

Quick Reply: My TSX HID retro finally finished!!!! Pics inside