Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Problem with Koni Rear solved yet??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003
Resident Tough Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sivion is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Problem with Koni Rear solved yet??

Hey guys,

I was searching for threads on Koni Yellows on our cars and there are way too many of them ...So I thought I would make this thread here to see what kind of input I get.

I have Koni front and back of my car now. It rides perfect, however I keep hearing about these defects on the rear struts. Something about the perch and C-Ring? Is that correct? And if so is that the only problem? I kinda want to know what I need to do to remedy this problem before I fall victim to this failure before it happenes.

If anyone has found replacement parts for this application or knows what procedure to follow to correct this problem, please post here.

Once again I did search, but there was just too much to read through.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2003
Registered!!

3rdcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
no problems here...ridin' on Ground Control and Koni for 1.5 years now. of course, I do not have a super dooper system in the trunk either nor do I haul 3-4 fat kids around each day, etc. If the rear perch is installed correctly, I honestly do not see how the c-clip could even pop off as the perch sits both on top and tightly around the clip. The clip itself sits in a groove in the shock body and the fact that the perch sits around the outer diameter of the clip, there's no way the clip could spread apart and slip down. Thus, people with this problem must have an incorrect installation.
Old 06-16-2003
Registered!!

TOOLOWCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
The only problem I have is that I cant adjus the back cus I lost the lil **** adjuster thingy. I have the bigger one for the front but its too big to fit in back. How do I adjust it. BTW what settings do u have ur Konis at??
Old 06-16-2003
Resident Tough Guy

Sivion is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Koni.

I took 1 full turn on front and 1 1/2 turn on back. (the back seems to take more to make stiffer).

I called Koni today and asked them about any problems with the perch or the C-Ring. They stated that there are no problems and that it's due to a faulty install. As long as the perch is installed like a Bell NOT like a cup (looking at it from the side), then you are ok. I guess there are some installs where it was installed upside down. Anyway, they also told me that this design has been around forever and has yet to fail from faultiness from the product.

Old 06-17-2003
cool beans

zinkyroo is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you need to buy the Ground Control Koni adaptor or not? I just ordered my yellows from tornactive but they dont have adapter dooby...Is it necessary?
Old 06-17-2003
Registered!!

supYO is an unknown quantity at this point
the rear adjuster thingy cant fit in that space
not enough room

ARGGGGG
should i use a plyers?
or will i wreck it?
Old 06-17-2003
K Motor Lover Baby!

02SilverSiHB is an unknown quantity at this point
no problems with mine. I installed mine myself and have put over 3k miles on them now. As for adjusting the rear, I use the smaller one they gave us. It's tough, but it will fit back there to make adjustments. I put my front at 3/4 turn in the front and 1 full turn in the rear for daily driving. I still haven't made it to the autocross even with my setup yet.
Old 06-19-2003
Registered!!

mrdan4548 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have probs with mine. the inserts in the front are going out or have gone out on me, cause when i installed my camber kit i moved the top mount around to keep it from squeekin and my piston of the shock started fallin i was like all hell no. and as for the rear i didnt hit any kind of large or hard bump but the freakin c clamp broke off on me yesterday. And i do not understand how you can not install that properly. so now im just riding on 1 shox with no spring in the rear until my B+G's come in next week. Screw springs and stupid koni.

just my .02
Old 06-19-2003
cool beans

Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
no problems with mine. I installed mine myself and have put over 3k miles on them now. As for adjusting the rear, I use the smaller one they gave us. It's tough, but it will fit back there to make adjustments. I put my front at 3/4 turn in the front and 1 full turn in the rear for daily driving. I still haven't made it to the autocross even with my setup yet.
Do you have Ground Control Sleeves? If you do did you buy the adaptor or not?
Old 06-19-2003
cool beans

Originally posted by 3rdcivic
no problems here...ridin' on Ground Control and Koni for 1.5 years now. of course, I do not have a super dooper system in the trunk either nor do I haul 3-4 fat kids around each day, etc. If the rear perch is installed correctly, I honestly do not see how the c-clip could even pop off as the perch sits both on top and tightly around the clip. The clip itself sits in a groove in the shock body and the fact that the perch sits around the outer diameter of the clip, there's no way the clip could spread apart and slip down. Thus, people with this problem must have an incorrect installation.
Did you buy the Ground Control Koni adaptor or not?
Old 06-19-2003
cool beans

Obviously you installed them wrong mrdan
Old 06-19-2003
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by TOOLOWCIVIC
The only problem I have is that I cant adjus the back cus I lost the lil **** adjuster thingy. I have the bigger one for the front but its too big to fit in back. How do I adjust it. BTW what settings do u have ur Konis at??
I shaved the **** down until I could get it in to adjust the rears.

Some people use pliers, but that's going to ruin the little flats sooner or later.
Old 06-19-2003
Premium Member

I had Koni's and ProKit on for about a year and a half and never had a single problem.
Old 06-19-2003
Premium Member

Originally posted by supYO
the rear adjuster thingy cant fit in that space
not enough room

ARGGGGG
should i use a plyers?
or will i wreck it?
You can cut down the **** and/or bend away that piece of metal that sticks our from the seat frame to make room for the ****. Or take a Dremel tool and cut away a section of that metal, but then that's kinda messy with all the metal powder that flies off.
Old 06-19-2003
K Motor Lover Baby!

02SilverSiHB is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by zinkyroo
Do you have Ground Control Sleeves? If you do did you buy the adaptor or not?
No I have Skunk2
Old 06-19-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Wait... can the rear perch be installed like a cup? I dont see how it would keep the spring in place if it was.
Old 06-20-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CivicHX01 is an unknown quantity at this point
well guys... i installed my rear camber kit and since the tire was off i lifted up my ground control and lifted up the perch and found that half of the c-ring was bent out of the groove... the other one was fine... i slid the ring down to the bottom of the shock and took some pliers and rebent it into shape... i then sanded the cheap yellow paint under the groove reinstalled the c-ring and then put 2-ton epoxy glue under the half of c-ring that was bent... hopefully it holds until i take it to my uncle's shop to weld that **** on there....

i was really happy with the koni's but now i'm starting to doubt their quality...
Old 06-20-2003
Registered!!

supYO is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Bartkat
You can cut down the **** and/or bend away that piece of metal that sticks our from the seat frame to make room for the ****. Or take a Dremel tool and cut away a section of that metal, but then that's kinda messy with all the metal powder that flies off.

thanks
im gonna modify the **** thingy first its still too fat !!! lol