DIY: Progress Rear Sway Bar & Mounting Kit

Old 01-30-2003
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
DIY: Progress Rear Sway Bar & Mounting Kit

This time we're going to install the Progress Group's rear sway bar/tie bar on a 2001 LX. We'll also install their mounting kit since 2001 LX's didn't come with a rear sway bar from the factory. You'll also need the mounting kit if you drive a DX, although 2002 LX's no longer require it. The mounting kit actually lets you adjust how much force is transfered through the sway bar during cornering by varying the angle of the end links. More on this later...

Here you can see everything that came with the kit. Instructions, brackets, nuts, bolts, a tube of grease, etc...

The first step is to lift up the rear of the car so that you can work under it comfortably. You can jack it up by putting the jack under the part pictured, but you should use a block of wood to distribute the weight more evenly. You can also jack it up by the two hook, but my jack doesn't go high enough to put the jack stands under the support points if I do it that way. See the board that the jack is on? I tried to raise the jack first and then jack up the car by the tow hook, but I couldn't find enough boards to get it up high enough. I've done it this way before though. Your choice.

Put the jack stands under the support points in back. They're thicker metal that you can see if you look under the car. Raise the car up enough so that the rear wheels are off the ground. Of course, do this on level ground. I did this in a garage. If you do this on uneven ground then put your can in first and block the front wheels. This will ensure that the car won't roll when you jack up the back. The only thing keeping the car from rolling off is the traction of the rear wheels and the emergency brake. I didn't block off my front wheels when I did this. I just put it in 1st. I was on very level ground though. Your choice.

Take off the wheels. With the emergency brake up you can take them off with the wheels off the ground. That's what I did, although I guess you could loosen them a little before jacking up the car.

Here I tried using two clamps to hold the lower control arm attachments in place while removing the two bolts. This worked, but then what? I tried threading the bolts back through from the opposite end, but there isn't much room back there to do that. If you want to buy a set of shorter bolts just for the purpose of holding everything in place then that's k3wl. I gave up on threading the bolts through from the back and I removed the clamps. Guess what happened? Duh! The lower control arm attachments slipped out of place. This is annoying because it's kinda hard to line up the holes again.

I decided to spray the area down with some rubberized undercoating. I noticed that the RSX's have more back there than we do. There must be a reason for it, so that's what I'll do too. I masked off what I didn't want to spray with some newspaper. I did a very rough job, but you could be nice and neat if you wanted to be. I sprayed it down several times. I let it flash (surface hardening) for 15 minutes betwean coats. I then set up a little electric heater and let it run in the garage all night; a necessity when the garage is cold as all hell. In the morning everything was dry.

You can see this little light that I set up in the corner. Unless you're doing this in the daylight you'll need some extra light to help you see what's what under the car. I have this little clip on light that I just clipped on to the undercarriage. Works. Now, you'll want to fasten the tie bar to the car first. I jacked up the lower control arm and used a set of pliers to align the two holes so that I could push the bolt through. The pliers went in betwean the chassis and the lower control arm attachment point. I used the rubber end so that I wouldn't scrape off any paint. You'll have to mess around with it for a while, but it's the best way I've found so far to align the two holes.

With the tie bar on you can drill out the holes. The instructions say to mark off the holes and then drill them with the tie bar off, but I think that's kinda stupid. Just use a drill bit as large as the holes in the tie bar and drill out the holes. That way they'll be dead on.

Now you can take off the tie bar and drill the upper holes out to 1/2". That's rather thick metal up there, I was surprised. It's more than and 1/8" thick.

Finito! All the holes are where they should be. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Now you'll need to make the upper holes into threaded ones with the supplied nut-serts. Just read over the directions carefully and do what they tell you. You basically have a bolt with the nut-sert on it and a regular nut on it and a washer as well. Then you insert the whole assembly into the hole with the nut-sert end going in first. Remember to have the end of the nut sert that gets squished facing you. Then just hold on to the nut with a wrench and turn the whole assembly with a socket wrench. Two wrenches work too, but it's not as comfortable. Keep turning until you feel more pressure than usual. Check to see that the threads of the nut-sert are flush with the 1/2" opening. That's when it's seated all the way.

Here's the mounting kit. You basically assemble it as the instructions tell you to. There's a nice little CAD drawing that comes with the kit. Just follow it to the letter. See the gold-colored hardware? I replaced the hardware that came with the kit with the gold-colored stuff. The kit came with Grade 5 hardware, but I replaced that with Grade 8. Grade 5 is 40% stronger than standard and Grade 8 is 200% stronger. I was mainly worried about the bolt up top since it's under the most sheering force. Oh yeah, I also replaced the thin nut on the end link with a thicker one since I could do that without sacrificing any adjustability. Plus it's easier to grip with a wrench and there's more threads for it to be torqued down properly. Although I don't quite get why it's there in the first place? Oh well...

Here's another view. You can tighten down the nut at the bottom that holds the end link to the bracket. You should leave the two nuts holding the bracket to the lower control arm kinda loose so that you can adjust everything later on. The nut that will hold the sway bar onto the end link is just loosly threaded on for the sake of the picture.

Now attach the sway bar to the end links. The sway bar goes on the outside, the end links go on the inside. Tighten the lock nuts that hold the sway bar to the end links down by holding the bolt with a wrench and tightening the nut with a socket wrench. You'll have to move around the whole assembly to get the best access; this is where the articulation of the end links comes in handy. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Now put the tie bar back on. You could do this step before putting the sway bar on; whatever you're comfortable with. I supported the lower control arm with a jack and I stuck a pair of pliers in betwean the lower control arm attachment point and the chassis. I used both of these to align the two holes. The jack for aligning the holes vertically and the pliers for aligning the holes horizontally.

Now you grease up the bushings with some grease. Either use the grease that they gave you or you can use something else. I have this really thick grease that stays in place and is totally water proof, so that's what I chose to use. The bushings have some space in the middle for the grease to fit in. This is Progress's "new" bushing design. Good! Me like. See how the sway bar is oriented? The middle has a little bump that points up. This is the way that the sway should be installed. The brackets go around the bushings and the upper bolts thread right in to the nut-sert. The lower bolts are fastened with nuts from the other side.

I slid the whole sway bar assembly down as far as it would go before I tightened everything up. Simply check for exhaust clearance and lower control arm clearance as you adjust everything. You don't want the sway bar to hit the exhaust as the rear suspension compresses when you go over bumps. The sway bar and exhaust will not move in the left to right direction in this picture. Good thing too since there's only 1/8" of clearance betwean the two! In the other direction there's plenty of clearance. About an inch from the exhaust and an inch from the lower control arm.

Now center the sway bar so that it is equidistant from the lower control arms. Then put these rings on the outsides of the sway bar and tighten them. They prevent the sway bar from moving side to side. Now position the end links so that they are as close to vertical as possible. This causes the maximum amount of force to be transfered from side to side during cornering to reduce body roll. You can position the end links so that they're at an off-angle to vertical to increase body roll. Suspension tuning baybee! Now we just... No, wait... Guess what? You're done!

Here is a picture of the sway bar clearance after the car is back on the ground. It's not as bad as it seems though because the sway bar is in front of the exhaust. There's still about an inch of clearance betwean the sway bar and the exhaust.

Lookin' good! I love this setup. I have both Progress sway bars now. The front and the rear. During maximum cornering the rear tends to slide out a little bit. This is good though 'cause I can still tune the rear with the mounting brackets. If the situation was reversed I would be screwed. This setup lets you corner much better than before. I still don't know where the cornering limits of this setup are, but I know that at my previous maximum speeds the tires don't screech anymore. The only thing that bugs me is that there are a ton of creeking noises coming from the rear now. It's not the sway bar or any of the sway bar bolts. It's not the exhaust either. It's the damned body flexing in back. It's the same sound I had up front before I installed that frame stiffener from the 2002 Civics. I think that once I install a rear strut bar the noise will go away. At least I hope that this is the solution. People on ClubRSX.com have verified this problem and the solution seems to be a rear strut bar.
Old 01-30-2003
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
yes grey once again blesses us with another DIY, too bad i already got mine install. and yes, there is no more squeekage in the back. the back end is reallly freaking stiff... it does drift at times. but all and all this is the second best thing i have don't next to my front strut. good job...
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Niiice write up! Thanks.
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
VERY sweet job Grey once again
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

Friedrice is an unknown quantity at this point
nice DIY.... now the question that will determine if I ever do it.....

The clearence between exhaust and sway bar is tight, so if you have an aftermarket exhaust, say like my HKS rear section, think it will fit?
Old 01-31-2003
DIY King

I think that several people already stated that the HKS rear section exhaust and the Progress Group rear sway bar fit perfectly together and that there's still about an inch of clearance. I'de search for "HKS" and "sway" to make sure though, 'cause I'm gettin' old and I think I'm losin' my memory. LOL
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

Friedrice is an unknown quantity at this point
alright, thanks grey
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

DC5@EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone know if there is any problems between a dc sports tcs exhaust and this sway bar? I hope not, cuz i just got mine today.
Old 02-01-2003
DIY King

Yeah, I think they don't work well together. I searched and found...

[hr]Originally posted by: robbclark1
I don't think that he needs a resonator. The TCS is made in twin canisters to quiet the noise. the catback does not have a resonator, so why should an axle back need one? it is really quiet. one thing you have to watch for is upgrading your rear sway bar. Sometimes mine bang together. If i did the progress rear sway bar then it would not have worked because of the TCS and I would have to get it bent out of the way.[hr]
[hr]Originally posted by: robbclark1
I have the RSX-S 19mm one with the TCS and they sometimes hit. I don't think it will work with the 22mm one. you can probably ghetto rig it or have a muffler shop bend the pipe a little to make it fit.[hr]
Also, check out this thread: Progress rear sway bar problem
Old 02-03-2003
Registered!!

ASWZero is an unknown quantity at this point
Think how loose your car is now because you did not stiffen it at first. I think I will get getting a lower front soon and some bushings. My front left caster is off because of the california right off ramps. Too many things to do and so little money.
Old 02-03-2003
DIY King

Loose? You mean, like... The body and all of the bolts in back becoming less stiff because of this? Maybe. Although without a detailed stress analysis it's just speculation.
Old 02-03-2003
DIY King

Whoops! It may not have been my body creeking and squeeking.

Check this out!

Either the bolt came out or it sheered off. More than likely it just came out because of vibration. I bought some new bolts (grade 8 instead of grade 5) and I torqued them down more than I did last time. The suggested torque for a grade 5 3/8-16 bolt is 33 foot pounds while the suggested torque for a grade 8 3/8-16 bolt is 47 foot pounds.

Everything should be good to go now, but I'll need to field test these new bolts by doing some crazy driving again. I hope they hold. I'll report on the creeks and squeeks again after the test. Wish me luck.
Old 06-25-2003
Registered!!

Timski is an unknown quantity at this point
when you bought the kit did it come with the sway bar ir is it just the install kit and the sway bar is seperate
Old 06-25-2003
DIY King

The first picture shows what comes with the rear sway bar. The mounting kit is what it on one of the rear lower control arms.
Old 06-26-2003
Registered!!

Derek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz Erthang
this is in the DIY now.
Old 06-26-2003
DIY King

In the DIY section it only has a reference to this thread. Is that intentional?
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

greeot is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the great DYI, man. i am going to be getting it really soon, and all this install info will help a lot. appreciate the time you put into this to help us out.
Old 10-21-2003
DIY King

No problem. I'm glad that what I did is useful.
Old 10-22-2003
Registered!!

604SPEEDANDSTYLE is an unknown quantity at this point
quick question...does the mounting kit...allow me to add the sway bar
to lx coupe without going out and fabricating brackets for the LCA
Old 10-22-2003
DIY King

Yes. That's exactly what it's for. It will allow mounting of rear sway bars to the rear lower control arms on all Civics not equiped with a rear sway bar from the factory.
Old 11-13-2003
Registered!!

ballajack11 is an unknown quantity at this point
So say I have a rsx type s sway bar with brushing, will it be easier to install since i have a ex, canadian si.
Old 11-13-2003
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
yes, you should just have to take the old bushings off, as well as the bar, and loosen the endlinks, then just put the new bar in with the new endlinks and you should be set.
Old 11-13-2003
Registered!!

CrazyCakes is an unknown quantity at this point
any idea if it will clear with the magnaflow cat-back. also you said that you have the front sway bar too, i have heard that this will make your car under steer any truth to this???
Old 11-13-2003
DIY King

I don't know if it will clear the Magnaflow cat-back because I don't have one. Maybe someone else does? Anyone have both the Progress rear sway bar and the Magnaflow cat-back?

As for the understeer thing... Mine handles pretty neutral now with the 27mm front sway bar and the 22mm rear sway bar.
Old 11-14-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bellz has a spectacular aura aboutBellz has a spectacular aura about
If anyone wants a pdf file of this DIY, you can download it from the DX-R site in my sig. All the info here, plus extra pics and FAQ are included. You can also save it or print it.

Here's the direct link:
Click me. (397k)
Old 12-18-2003
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
It clears Magnaflow cat backs with no problem.
Old 10-10-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Did you have to change the endlinks(did your stock ones break after a while?)?

All lot people mention the progress bar doesn't clear some exhausts? Will I have trouble with my stock exhaust?

Since I have the EX I will not have to drill holes into the part that holds the lower control arms right? The holes that currently hold the sway bushings brakets should line up fine? or its not the case?

Last edited by nindoo; 10-10-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2004

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Nindoo, about your first question: I read on a thread that the OEM endlinks do break after a while. Appearently they can't sustain the pressure od the new thicker bars. They recommended getting Grey's endlinks once you get the bars. I haven't yet bought my sway bars but when I do, I'll get the endlinks as well. Grey PMed me a few days ago and he said he's constantly improving them so he has a better version of the endlinks now. Hope this works.
Regarding your other question, I can't help since I got an LX.

Last edited by cubanmike26; 10-10-2004 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-10-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Cuban mike I might as well get the endlinks with the bar. I was planning on getting the comptech I heard its a better bar.
Old 10-10-2004
Tuckin' 19's

danscreations is an unknown quantity at this point
Great DIY I have been wanting to do this one for awhile. I do have a few question though.

- How's the car perform now?
- Will the swaybar have issues with a low drop or does the drop not matter as the bar will rotate anyway with the suspension at any point in travel?
- Where the best place to get this and price?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Progress Rear Sway Bar & Mounting Kit