Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

heavy ass sub box

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017
Car Audio Inc

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
thornygravy is an unknown quantity at this point
heavy *** sub box

I built a custom box for 2 10w6v3s, double baffle. Thing loaded weighs around 120lbs. I'll be ditching the donut to reduce some of the weight but I'm sure the false floor I build will probably just add that back.

I'm getting pretty close to bottoming out in dips on the highway. Or at least it feels like it and lost quite a bit of handling on turns. (Not to mention the mpgs but that's the price you pay to be bumpin super stoopid.)

The good news is my struts all around are pretty shot so I was going to replace them all anyway. I don't know anything about aftermarket suspensions or anything like that so I figured I'd ask on here see what the pros thought of my idea, what I should get, etc.

I'm thinking of getting new stock struts for the front, and stiffer performance type struts for the back. Maybe get all poly bushings? I don't know if it matters but I have stock rims and tire sizes. Appreciate any help.
Old 04-24-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: heavy *** sub box

What are better mpg's compared to thumping bass anyway..ay? And who the hell needs a spare tire?

First off..I'm not a pro, just a regular Joe who digs cars and ho's...lol.

A good quality set of adjustable coilovers will let you adjust the ride height and will be an improvement over stock strut/shocks for ride and handling. To improve cornering find the widest tire size for the current rim or better yet upgrade to a wider than stock rim/tire. The second number denotes width in tire size measurements (ex: 205/65/r16). Lower the number equals wider the tire. Could also add a larger diameter sway bar to improve stiffness during cornering. Of course, the above mentioned all comes with a higher price tag. There's a lot of options to find those parts in used condition for much less though: junkyard, craigslist, civic/honda forums buy/sell sections, Ebay bidding, and more.

Which (location on car/part) poly bushings are you referring to?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 04-24-2017 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-24-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
To improve cornering find the widest tire size for the current rim or better yet upgrade to a wider than stock rim/tire. The second number denotes width in tire size measurements (ex: 205/65/r16). Lower the number equals wider the tire.
Sorry Turd but, first number is the width in mm, second number is the sidewall height as a percentage of the the width, and the last number is rim diameter.

So 205/65/r16 is
205 mm wide, has a sidewall height that is 65% of 205 mm, so 133.25 mm and then its a radial tire for a 16 in rim.
Old 04-24-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Colin42
Sorry Turd but, first number is the width in mm, second number is the sidewall height as a percentage of the the width, and the last number is rim diameter.

So 205/65/r16 is
205 mm wide, has a sidewall height that is 65% of 205 mm, so 133.25 mm and then its a radial tire for a 16 in rim.
No problem thanks for correcting/educating me on it.
Old 04-24-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

For imperial tire measurements you are correct though,
a 31 x 12.5 is 31 inches tall and 12.5 inches wide
Old 04-24-2017
Car Audio Inc

First off, thanks so much for your response.

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
Which (location on car/part) poly bushings are you referring to?
I'm thinkin all the lower control arm bushings and sway bar bushings. Not sure if it would do much, but I'm due for new ones regardless.

Looks like I got some coilover research to do!
Old 04-25-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

how much you looking to spend on a suspension? I was thinking a coilover system with adjustable dampering might be right up your alley.

Tein Street Advance coilovers are $893 shipped on thmotorsports.com. Worth looking into. I've been rocking the older version of the street advance (i.e. Tein Super Street coilovers) for the last 13 years, still going strong.

btw, wtf is your box made of that it's 120lbs?
Old 04-25-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I second the Tein Street Advance. I have a set on my Fit and they are great. The only problem with them and your set up is the spring rate will probably be to soft with the added weight in your trunk. You can order higher spring rates and get the shocks revalued from Tein to handle a higher spring rate. I would up the rear by 2kg at least but possibly more. I would like to up the rate for my Fit as they are on the softer side which does makes a nice ride.
Old 04-25-2017
Car Audio Inc

Right on, I'll check those out.

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
btw, wtf is your box made of that it's 120lbs?
3/4" mdf, I'm probably exaggerating but 40lbs of it is the woofers, box has to be at least 60lbs. Or maybe I'm just really out of shape. lmaoo
Old 04-25-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

hahaha, fair enough. I was gonna say, I rocked a heavy *** sub box once upon a time, prolly weighed 50-60lbs. Only bottoming out issue I had was when I was living in South Carolina and I had 4 people in my car making a beach trip.
Old 04-25-2017

Originally Posted by thornygravy
I'm thinkin all the lower control arm bushings and sway bar bushings. Not sure if it would do much, but I'm due for new ones regardless.
Read Poly vs Rubber: http://www.suspension.com/blog/rubbe...sion-bushings/
Old 04-25-2017
Car Audio Inc

Thanks. After reading that, I'll stick with rubber. I'm tryna keep the road noise out and be comfy.
Old 04-25-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Poly ain't that bad... squeaks a little bit if not greased with silicone lube, and a bit rougher, but not bad.

Honestly though, bushings not gonna do much to help you with bottoming out with a heavy system. Strut dampering and spring rate is gonna be where it's at for you
Old 04-25-2017
Car Audio Inc

I honestly didn't think I'd get so much help. Can't thank you guys enough.
Old 04-25-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Poly ain't that bad
I agree, never had any problems with mine squeaking. Use lots of lube...all the lube they give you. I lathered the bushings up really well before pressing them in and didn't have any issues.

Originally Posted by thornygravy
I honestly didn't think I'd get so much help. Can't thank you guys enough.
What!?! This is your one stop shop for car related assistance!
Old 04-29-2017
Administrator
Administrator

I installed energy suspension LCA bushings on my car. Bought a small tub of silicone grease and tapped in some zerk fittings for the compliance bushings. Greased the f*** out of them when I installed them and haven't had to use the zerk fittings yet. They've been installed for about 2 years now with zero squeaking issues. They've seen rain, a lot of heat, and some dust storms with stupidly high winds. Just my 2 cents on poly bushings.
Old 04-30-2017
Car Audio Inc

Definitely not hating on poly bushings. Appreciate your experience with them.