Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Struts and Shocks questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noobcivicowner is an unknown quantity at this point
Struts and Shocks questions

Hey all, Bought a 01 civic coupe as my winter beater.

The ride in the back is a little bouncy but the front seems to be fine. I tried looking up new rear struts and saw different kinds from KYB, Koni to Bilsteins.

Q1: Which is the best brand for just all around daily driving comfort and value?

Q2: Saw that KYB and Koni only sell the shock. My rear suspension set up are struts. Can I replace the rear struts with shocks? Or Do I have to buy the springs seperately.

providing links will be helpful. Thanks guys!!
Old 12-03-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Struts and Shocks questions

Tokico HP (a.k.a. "blues") are a popular choice, as well.

$158.01 for Front Right
$153.13 for Front Left
$112.74 for each rear
Note: those prices are for cyber monday week. I think their normal price is something like 170-ish from the fronts and 130 for the rears
(Protip: THmotorsports gives free shipping to most orders $100 and over, exceptions are body parts like bumpers and side skirts. Hoods, too, possibly. They used to be a sponsor of this site waaaaay back when, and still offer great customer service and great prices)

I rocked those for a good while before I got my coilovers. As for your strut vs shock issue... Remove old assembly, transplant springs to new struts (and top hats for fronts), install new assembly into car, drive to shop to get an alignment done. Bam, done.

First mod I ever did to my car was the tokico blues, and it took an inexperienced 18 year old me and equally inexperienced 16 year old friend 4 hours in my dad's driveway to do using this DIY guide. Unfortunately, the pictures are no longer hosted anywhere, but the information is still good. Make sure what when you do buy new socks/struts, they are made for 01-02 models. In 2003, Honda changed the crash bolt from 14mm to 16mm.
Old 12-03-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noobcivicowner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Tokico HP (a.k.a. "blues") are a popular choice, as well.

$158.01 for Front Right
$153.13 for Front Left
$112.74 for each rear
Note: those prices are for cyber monday week. I think their normal price is something like 170-ish from the fronts and 130 for the rears
(Protip: THmotorsports gives free shipping to most orders $100 and over, exceptions are body parts like bumpers and side skirts. Hoods, too, possibly. They used to be a sponsor of this site waaaaay back when, and still offer great customer service and great prices)

I rocked those for a good while before I got my coilovers. As for your strut vs shock issue... Remove old assembly, transplant springs to new struts (and top hats for fronts), install new assembly into car, drive to shop to get an alignment done. Bam, done.

First mod I ever did to my car was the tokico blues, and it took an inexperienced 18 year old me and equally inexperienced 16 year old friend 4 hours in my dad's driveway to do using this DIY guide. Unfortunately, the pictures are no longer hosted anywhere, but the information is still good. Make sure what when you do buy new socks/struts, they are made for 01-02 models. In 2003, Honda changed the crash bolt from 14mm to 16mm.
How did you like the ride feel of that set up? Better than the oem?
Old 12-04-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I loved them. When the blues went on, they also went on with Tein S-tech lowering springs (~1.5" lowering). The ride felt a hair stiffer than OEM, but still very comfy. I only swapped them out to my coilovers because I stumbled upon a deal I could not pass up (retail on my coilovers was $1550, nabbed 'em for $1250 shipped cross country). I also had a friend with an 01 civic with blown struts, he paid me $400 for my old setup (blues/lowering springs) and have me install 'em. So, net monies spent on those coilovers: $850 for a set of $1550 coilovers.

My setup now is much stiffer than it was way back when I had the blues on.