Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Ball joint retainer clip bent

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
threeoten is an unknown quantity at this point
Ball joint retainer clip bent

The first one went on fine, snapped right in. The second one was a little thinner and bent a bit when i opened it up, now it sits in the channel a little weird and is not making contact 100% of the way around. Is it unsafe to keep it like this?

Old 05-25-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Ball joint retainer clip bent

pull it off and try to straighten it?
go to the store with the bent clip and buy a new one that's the same size?
Old 05-25-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

your ball joint is obviously not pressed in far enough, that is definitely unsafe, not a car i would want to be driving or riding around in, but then again, i dont consider any aftermarket ball joints safe, which this obviously is
Old 05-25-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1
your ball joint is obviously not pressed in far enough, that is definitely unsafe, not a car i would want to be driving or riding around in

Poor view in the picture, but I agree this is what it looks like
Old 05-26-2016
Registered!!

your ball joint is obviously not pressed in far enough
It's pressed in as far as it will go and it went in super tight, I was cranking on it with a long bar and it took much effort. It's seated (cleaned the seat out thoroughly) in the bore as deep as possible with no gap. It may just be the angle in the first photo that gives you this impression. The channel for the snap ring is well cleared of the bottom side with plenty of room for the ring to go in. It's just that the snap ring got bent up while opening it for installation. Is this a better angle to show it's in all the way?

Last edited by threeoten; 05-26-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by threeoten
It's just that the snap ring got bent up while opening it for installation.
uuummm, try a new snap ring?

also, why does the boot on your ball joint look like its torn or damaged?....is it a brand new ball joint?....are these your own actual pictures?
Old 05-27-2016
Registered!!

So does that look like it's on there completely in the new photo angle? I don't see how it could go in any farther, but since this is my first time, yall got me a little worried about it saying it's not.

uuummm, try a new snap ring?

also, why does the boot on your ball joint look like its torn or damaged?....is it a brand new ball joint?....are these your own actual pictures?
Got a new one today.

The boot. Yeah. It got just a little bit pinched while pressing it in, the receiving end of the press tool was just barely big enough and I must have had it misaligned a little. It doesn't have any punctures or anything so it should be fine I think.
Old 05-30-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by threeoten
So does that look like it's on there completely in the new photo angle? I don't see how it could go in any farther, but since this is my first time, yall got me a little worried about it saying it's not.
Anyone?
Old 05-30-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Left half of this pic: The snap ring does not appear completely seated, the right end of the clip is not in the groove.

Whether or not it's due to being bent, or something else, I can't tell.

JMO.

Old 05-30-2016
Registered!!

I've actually replaced the snap ring since that photo. That one was bent. I was just wanting to confirm that the joint looks like it's in all the way, showing that the ring channel was well clear of the knuckle. Thanks!