Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

broken bolt from rear suspension

Old 04-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kristoliquid is an unknown quantity at this point
broken bolt from rear suspension

trying to unscrew that f****er and then the tip of the bolt broke.

2005 canadian honda civic Si.

The other end is too close to the frame to be able to be unscrewed.

ive put the wheel back on and put the car on the ground.

any suggestions because im learning how to repair my car. i guess its good things like these happen so that i can learn more.

Last edited by Kristoliquid; 04-29-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: broken bolt from rear suspension

Yikes. I'd definitely leave that supported by a jack stand until you can get the rest of the bolt out. Soak with pb blaster, drill/screw extractor, pray it comes out without much hassle. The first time I broke that bolt loose, I had to soak the crap out of it with pb blaster and use a decent sized breaker bar. Good luck
Old 04-29-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is that between the LCA and the knuckle? Damn that's gonna hurt.
Is it seized in the bushing sleeve, or stuck in the nut?

Canada? Rust.
Fire is your best friend.....
I'm in the rust belt USA, I had to learn about fire very early in my career. Careful application of fire can be good, but doing it wrong can cause a lot of damage too.
People who have to deal with rust and don't know about fire usually break far more stuff than necessary.

I might suggest drilling. Lots and lots of drilling. Start on the opposite side where the nut is. Start in the center, drill bigger and bigger until you can peel the threads out and leave the original nut undamaged.

Or a sawzall is handy if you can slice through the edges of the bushing and bolt. Replace bushing and bolt.

Or... grinder/die grinder/cutoff wheel....Grind off the nut and end of the bolt. Bend the ears of the LCA out just enough to go past the ends of the cut bolt. (probably would have to make sure the other bolt isn't gonna break off too)

If you have EZ-Outs, throw them away now. They are only good for breaking off and causing a brand new set of problems. When you break one off, you'll never be able to drill it out.
Old 04-29-2016
Registered!!

yeah i used some good penetrater. maybe i didnt let it work long enough. Used a breaker bar to try and unscrew it and then it just broke. I have a sawzall and some metal blades. i got 2 new rear suspensions for the back. Ill just need to buy new bolts. Ill try to cut them with my sawzall where the bushing is and then try to get it out. It should work. Its nothing really complicated.. just **** to get out! If the sawzall fails well ill have to go to the store and spend $$ on how to do it lol. Im glad this happened because its situations like these that makes you remember.

My mission tomorrow all day long will try to get that one out. Hoping the passenger side one doesnt break like this one lol.

there is no space to being able to drill it from the other side in the middle. the nut is facing somekind of frame..

The broken side is open though.

thx.

Last edited by Kristoliquid; 04-29-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2016
Registered!!

Whats the name of the part where the rear suspension is bolted on my car? It looks like a big round tube and there the welded nut to screw the rear shock in.
Old 05-02-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the name of the part where the rear suspension is bolted on my car?
Suspension attaches to the body.

The big round pipe bolted to the body that makes up the lower control arm is called a rear trailing arm (left or right)
Old 05-03-2016
Registered!!

XXWoodmanXX is an unknown quantity at this point

With the head of the bolt completely sheared off, I would hope it would come off with a few smacks of a small sledge and something to help punch it out? Is it ceased in the strut's lower bushing?
Old 05-03-2016

Is it ceased in the strut's lower bushing?
Seized.
And yes that's quite often the case.
Old 05-03-2016

Are you trying to get the strut out?

The job really sucks when they seize up. When a job is bid out of a labor guide (in a shop) they never account for this kind of problem.....no matter how many times we've been burned by it.

Once in a while I manage to torch the bolt free before it breaks something off, but the rubber bushing melting and burning stinks to high heaven.

I have used a cutoff wheel and chopped the bottom loop of the strut (the ring around the lower bushing) into pieces then pried it apart far enough to get the strut away from the control arm, then cut or torch apart the remains of the bushing and bolt after the strut is out of the way.

It's really freekin dangerous to try to cut into the body of a strut so watch out.
Old 08-19-2019
Registered!!

Ryan Pichette is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did this yesterday what’s the best way to cut strut off
Old 08-19-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Sawzall.

If I didn’t have the car on a lift, I would cut straight across the bottom of the shock.
unbolt the top and remove it, then cut down each side of the bushing from underneath.

That helps make sure the trailing arm and hot bolts doesn’t fall on your face...