Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Skunk2 Pro-S II for real cheap - is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thefdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Skunk2 Pro-S II for real cheap - is it worth it?

Hey all,

I have a sedan needing new struts and have been wanting to drop it between 1-1.5" to improve the looks and handling without messing with camber issues. I am planning an alignment after the suspension work. I am running 195/60/15 tires with everything else stock.

I purchased the new Skunk2 Pro-S II Coil-Overs for $350+tax. Can't beat the price, but will it even be worth it at this cost, given the generally bad reviews these seems to garner from being too stiff or bouncy. Some of these issues seem to be related to poor installation or set-up, so I am reading them subjectively.

Be glad to hear what the experts say from a cost/benefit perspective...

Cheers, Marc

Last edited by Thefdog; 01-13-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Skunk2 Pro-S II for real cheap - is it worth it?

I would save my money for a better setup.

Being to stiff is a matter of opinion so that you won't know untill you try. If it's the only suspension setup you have ever had then it is also subject to opinion (especially when comparing to stock).

Give them a try and see how you like them. I have learned that you can research mods untill your fingers fall off. Some things you need to just try yourself.
Old 01-18-2015
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply. It seems like they are a hard sell at their $900 retail price, not so good for many at more normal web pricing around $650, and almost too inexpensive not to try at $350.

I'll give them a shot and sell them for my cost if I don't like them.

Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2015
Registered!!

Update

Got the Skunk2 Pro-S II coilovers installed and an initial alignment. Bit of a PITA to get my tie-rod of the passenger side and the drivers rear bolt just wound up in the bushing and would turn back after the tension was released.

The setup actually feels pretty good compared to my long blown OEM shocks and springs. No bounce, not too hard of a ride, and seemed to corner much flatter and faster.

However, the rear end sits way low, even with the spring perch at the highest recommended setting from Skunk2. It was too low, so I placed a few washers under the top washer before installing the assembly in the car and didn't crank the main nut holding the strut as tight as possible. Since it is nylock, I just left it engaged 3-4 threads past the top of the strut. I also dialed just a little preload into the springs. Dumping it this far also means I had to install camber arms for the rear. Pretty easy to do.

Now the car has just a little sag to the rear compared to the front, maybe 0.5 inches lower measured on the frame. It drives well, though probably needs another adjustment, since I set the rear camber by eye, and no longer bottoms out. We'll just have to see how long it lasts...

Cheers all