Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Poly bushings vs rubber

Old 09-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Najitsu is an unknown quantity at this point
Poly bushings vs rubber

The dealership said my front bushings were worn so i figured i can replace them with Energy suspensions polyurethane bushings which the shop quoted me at 350 for having them inserted into the LCA, this price includes alignment. It will only be a 40 dollar difference if i was to return these LCA poly bushings and buy new Lower control arms that come with rubber bushings already installed.

I understand that it will make my handling on the car a little more responsive, but that it will also make a squeaky noise in the cold. I will be using this car as my daily driver and don't really plan on increasing the horse power of this vehicle much.

Side note- I put some new loud speakers in my car and plan on sound deadening the vehicle to increase the sound quality. So the rubber may be a better idea and where I live it gets pretty cold and the winters are long.

So my main question is will the poly bushings be worth the extra 40 dollars? How big of a difference is it compared to new rubber bushings? I'm a spirited driver and do enjoy accelerating fast and taking corners hard.
Old 09-18-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Poly bushings vs rubber

I've heard that they make a pretty big difference, especially if you replace all the bushings. I don't have first-hand experience though.
Old 11-16-2014
Registered!!

Matteo will become famous soon enough

any news?? how many miles you got? jw if i need to replace mine too.

i just asked a shop recently about this for front control arm poly bushings and he says yes they will squeak and not recommend it. think he said poly bushings are most helpful at high speeds. BUT he recommends poly bushings 4 front OEM sway bar!.. with no squeaking i guess. i just replaced my engine motor mounts aftermarket OE with a type of rubber bushings and i noticed a positive diff. so im sure replacement rubber front control arm bushings should still help, i think its more an issue of do you want to pay 40 more to drive with squeaking on dailydriver. for me id avoid the squeaking and get rubber...theres many suspension tweaks to do on our cars besides poly bushings
Old 11-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

they also make these now http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/548...asy-to-install
Old 11-17-2014
Registered!!

Matteo will become famous soon enough

^woah nice, i guess according to the pics on their website this is the right one to purchase for the civic: http://www.fme-cat.com/overlays/part...A%20CIVIC&vin= and gets as cheap as in the $20's sold individually.
Old 11-18-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Do you need an alignment after replacing the lower control arm?
I think I'd just go with rubber because the squeaking would annoy me.
Old 12-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

If you leave the strut to spindle bolts alone, theoretically everything should stay in the same place. The bushings mentioned above would definitely be my choice. I have poly and after I drilled the arms etc to get grease into them and put some wear on them they don't squeak. The design of the "pancake" bushing means the rubber ones wear out quickly. This is the reason I have poly bushings. With all that said the big bushing on the front is the only one to fool with. Unless there is a problem with the rear one leave it alone. It is a major PITA and the pivoting forces aren't the "wrong" direction to it. (This isn't the only vehicle that has "pancake" bushings and they all wear them prematurely.)
Old 12-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by johndeerebones
I have poly and after I drilled the arms etc to get grease into them and put some wear on them they don't squeak.
Can you elaborate on what you did there? Where did you put a hole in the arm, etc? I have some energy suspension ones I need to put in but then I read that they would need some grease applied over the years and was wondering how to do that.
Old 12-29-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Look for zerk fittings
Old 12-30-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Look for zerk fittings
oh gotcha, seems easy enough to put one in. is just one good enough for that big of a bushing or did you put one on each side?
Old 12-31-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

i would guess the answer would be start with one, if it squeaks, install another?