Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Lowering questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sam68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lowering questions

I need suggestions I want to lower my car 1" to 1.4" at most and dont really care about handling I really just want it to look good and have the most comfortable ride. I was going to get Progress coilovers but they are back ordered, then I found Tein SS coilovers for a great price which turned out to be Basics. So now I am thinking maybe just getting Eibach ProKit Springs and Tokico HP Shocks (Blues) my question is would this ride close to stock? Be as good as a full coilover? Or is their another setup that would have a plusher ride? I guess I dont really need coilovers I just thought it would be nice to be able to adjust my ride height and set it where i like it. really though once I set it and get it aligned I wont ever mess with it again. Thanks in advance for any help this is my first car I am lowering and just dont want a bouncy harsh ride.
Old 10-16-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lowering questions

If you're just gonna set it and not touch it ever again, I'd opt for the cheaper route: springs and struts..

I've never had eibach springs so I can vouch for the ride quality, but when I had tein s-techs and tokico blues, it was a comfy ride, being slightly stiffer than stock
Old 10-16-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the response. I am kind of thinking this would be the way to go I can get that setup for $600 shipped. is there anything else I would need or should replace while in there? My 02 only has 75K on it and nothing feels worn out but I dont want to go back in there later if for a bit more I can just replace a few parts. I have camber kit front & rear which with a 1" drop I may not even need but will probably use since I have it.
Old 10-16-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like that's all you need. I'd definitely use that camber kit for good measure, like you mentioned.

as far as anything else, I'd just look over everything down there for physical integrity and worn rubber parts..
Old 10-17-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

my Eibach and KYB AGX is just right for me.But i do prefer a stiffer ride. naturally you will feel the expansion joints, etc, etc more than before.
A Pity they were not SS, so was that the reason they were so cheap?
Old 10-17-2010
Registered!!

Ok I have one more question I just cant make up my mind the more I read the more ?'s I have. Now I am thinking about maybe doing Ground controls with D-spec's. The reason I am thinking about this combo is that I dont want to do Koni's because of all the cutting and modding that has to be done. Will the D-spec's bolt right in? I am looking to do this as easy as possible also how would the ride be for DD with this setup? I figure this will give me the ability to do whatever drop I want 1" to 2" at most and the ability to adjust the damping to get a good ride for my DD. Anyone's thoughts on this setup would be much appreciated. Sorry for all the back and forth I was all set to go with Progress full coilovers (back ordered till Dec), then thinking mild drop 1" with Blues (cheap should have a good ride for DD), Now GC's and D-specs (ability to drop where I want with hopefully good ride).
Old 10-17-2010
Registered!!

Ckutch02EX is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm running ground controls on stock struts. Figured I would wait till they blow before replacing. It's been about a month and struts are still good. I'm at a 2 inch drop right now. I have a buddy running GC's for a year with alittle over 2 inch drop still running the stock struts and none are blown.
Old 10-17-2010
Registered!!

How is the ride? Well after much measuring and reading and generally spending too much time on this decision I know I want to go 1.5" drop 1" is not enough and 2" is too much for me. I am pretty sure that no matter what springs or GC's I go with I am using D-spec's, if I go springs from what I have been reading I want a progressive spring for a better ride Eibach's Sportlines or Tein Stech's seem the best choice for what I am looking for, both are around 1.5" drop. If I go GC's then I read to get a 6" coil on the back (I need to ask them which spring rate), I really just need to know if this would be as comfortable a ride as the drop springs? Or will it be a more firm ride meant more for the track?

Last edited by sam68; 10-17-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-18-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Look also the D2 - XriceboyX was using them and they had camber plates in the fronts - much easier to adjust camber.
Old 10-18-2010
Registered!!

I ended up ordering the Eibach Sportlines & D-Specs. I know I could have gone with blues but I found a deal on them. Also figured that if down the road I wanted to go with GC's I would have the right shocks for them. Little update I really love the drop it settled at a little over 1.5" but looks great and the ride is nicer than stock with no worries about bottoming out on anything.

Last edited by sam68; 11-02-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2010
Registered!!

05civicdallas is an unknown quantity at this point

what size tires are you runing?
Old 11-05-2010
Registered!!

205/45/17's I used the tire guide and thats what it said to use and my speedo is right on.
Old 11-05-2010
Registered!!

hows the ride?? Its funny cuz everyone say if u drop you well feel every bump in the road. I feel every bump now with blues and stock springs and it looks like a truck haha.

I have a sedan tho, but did you measure ur stock height im at 26 in front and 26 3/4 in rear. how low are you now?
Old 11-06-2010
Registered!!

I think the ride is better than stock a little firmer but really comfortable and I like how much more sporty it feels. I didn't measure my height but it went from a full 4 fingers to 1 it says it's a 1.4 inch drop all the way around but I think it settled at more like 1.7. It is a bit lower in the back which is fine and so far I have been able to go over any speed bump at normal speed and not bottom out. My wife has a 02 iS300 and it bottoms out more stock than my Civic lowered. I was going to go with coilovers or GC's so that I could play with the ride height but I am really happy that I just went with this progressive spring because once I set it and got an alignment I was never going to change it, this height is perfect for my DD. This was also way cheaper than both other options although I got a really good deal on the D-Specs ($485 shipped), and $185 for the springs so $670 total I couldn't pass that up. I think these would be great for you since you already have the Blues all you would need is the springs, from everything I have read blues will handle this drop with no problems.

Last edited by sam68; 11-06-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2010
Registered!!

yea don't think i well get the sportline but im looking at the pro kit. Just want it a lil lower than stock. thanks for your input on the springs tho. im looking for a lil stiffer spring cuz it bounces a lil to much.

Last edited by 05civicdallas; 11-07-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-07-2010
Registered!!

Yeah I am really happy with my Eibach's the sportlines should work great for you if you just want a 1" drop.