Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Need Suspension Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gobe is an unknown quantity at this point
Need Suspension Help

Hey, before I ask, keep in mind my knowledge on cars is very little; which is why i'm asking for your help. I own a 2001 Honda Civic Coupe. It's a 5 speed. I want to start customizing my car as well as learn how to maintain it. The first thing I want to do is to lower it. I don't want it all the way to the ground, but since i don't know how many inches I don't want it lowered, i found a picture to help illustrate what I want. http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0017_large.jpg

My question is how much (estimate) would this step cost at a shop??

Let me know if i need to tell you anything else. Thx
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

brandonparsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need Suspension Help

I got a 1999 civic ex with little knowlegde of cars also. Whatever you do dont go with lowering springs on your stock shocks. I did that and the ride quality sucked. You have to go with adjustables. Pretty much any kind will do just make sure they fit your car. Then all you need to do is lower the perches and lock them where your like your height. just measure from the ground to the top the edge of where the car body starts centered on the wheel and make sure every side is the same. lower or heighten it if its to low or high
Old 11-16-2010
Registered!!

tacsneakyfast is an unknown quantity at this point

On my ride I (for the time being) have the stock struts with Tein S-Tech springs. One thing that you need to do when lowering your ride is to buy a camber kit. I have the megan racing camber kit, it was around $100 and takes less than 4 hours to install. This will keep you from having excessive negative camber on the rear tires.
Old 11-16-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

look for eibachs springs as well. I got them from tire rack and got the KYB AGX shocks. tokiko blues shocks might do the job as well.
for installation, if you can turn a wrench and think for yourself, you could DIY. get a haynes manul in any car parts shop, like autozone or advanced auto parts, etc. this will help you on getting "started" on customizing your car.
rear camber kit is must.
Old 11-16-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brandonparsons
I got a 1999 civic ex with little knowlegde of cars also. Whatever you do dont go with lowering springs on your stock shocks. I did that and the ride quality sucked. You have to go with adjustables. Pretty much any kind will do just make sure they fit your car. Then all you need to do is lower the perches and lock them where your like your height. just measure from the ground to the top the edge of where the car body starts centered on the wheel and make sure every side is the same. lower or heighten it if its to low or high
be careful on the advices.
A 99 have a double wishbone suspension, much different from a mcpherson from 01' +