Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Stock suspension makeover

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
masterguns is an unknown quantity at this point
Stock suspension makeover

Was driving down a well-traveled road today with a friend and couldn't help but notice the rough ride, esp when we hit the railroad crossing. I've always wanted to give my 02 coupe a smoother ride and now's the time. My suspension is all stock, never messed with it...Don't wanna go cheapo, but not too expensive either. Say maybe $450 max. Should I change out shocks, struts, combination? Suggestions? Also, I'm thinking I'll go with 17"s on my next trip to the tire shop so I may want the option to lower a quarter or half inch in the future. What would you do?

Last edited by masterguns; 01-24-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: Stock suspension makeover

If you want to lower it now and keep it there, get a shock and spring combo. (research springs for different drop heights)

If you want the ability to change the height and dampening, as well as adjust for any sag that might occur while breaking them in, get a coilover system.

Bigger rims/ lower-profile tires will create a rougher ride.

If you want it to be smooth, set a lower dampeing/spring rate... if you want it more sport and faster response, set a higher dampening/ spring rate.

Decide what you want- sporty increased handling, or a smooth ride where the car will dive under hard breaking and roll on fast cornering.
Old 01-24-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aircooledjames is an unknown quantity at this point

Bilstein shocks with stock or aftermarket springs. BEST RIDE EVER! super smooth and responsive.
Old 01-24-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if you think the stock ride is rough, wait until you lower the car lol