Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

removing front sway bar? pros/cons

Old 04-21-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute
removing front sway bar? pros/cons

yoo. whats up guys. i was talkin with a few of my autox buddies and they told me that i might be able to benefit better handling if i removed my front sway bar. they told me the front sway bar is to prevent oversteer for the granny drivers etc which doesnt have performance in mind. i heard about people doing this on preludes and teggys but not a 7th gen. should i do it or not? i am more into touge style/canyon driving if that helps any.
Old 04-21-2008
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: removing front sway bar? pros/cons

Just disconnect one endlink and see what happens. You will have less turn-in speed, but better turn-out speed. Therefore, it will "dig" a little more entering the turn, but "dig" less coming out of the turn. Racers say "slow in, fast out".

What year is your car? What rear sway do you have? If you have a large rear sway, you have to watch for snap oversteer. Given the car is FWD, weight transfer when stepping on the pedal isn't as good as with RWD.
Old 04-22-2008
Diamond Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

you may notice a little more flex too im guessing? brace the car a lil more?
Old 04-22-2008
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Anti roll bars have 0 effect on chassis flex... they are an active part of the suspension not a passive brace.

Otherwise, Robb's got the main part.

Pro: More potential traction.

Con: more chassis roll/slower turn in response.

"Potential traction" because you still have to tune the car to work with out the front bar. Just as you can re tune the car to have the same amount of chassis roll & just as good of turn in response. but then that would require re-tuning your spring rates and alignment.
Old 04-23-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

i current have all stock sways. but i already have a type s sway bar in line. my car is an 02 civic ex sedan. should i do it or no? im aware of slow in fast out but i was also concerned about daily driving with the bar off. i dont really know when the sway is comin in [its my friends giving it to me for free but doesnt know when his new one gets in] would it be safe to run no front sway with the stock rear sway for now?

oh and i am currently running the gc/koni yellow set up.

Last edited by civicsrcool; 04-23-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-23-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I had to take my front sway off last year to swap my exhaust to an EX- the front sway hit the cat, even with the shield off. Its been a long time. The car handles the same. I have a 01 coupe so I had the fat 21mm? bar. I noticed the front was actually lighter with out it, because it weights damn near 20lbs. Around town you wont notice anything, but on the back roads or the track you will notice what robb and zzyzx described.
Old 08-12-2008
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point

Bump this thread...

I'm removing my 01" EX's front sway bar too temporarily cause the bushings are bad and I don't want to replace them on a bar I don't want.
Old 08-31-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

So then what's the best way to reduce chassis flex? X brace? What's that other brace that you see in the 5th and 6th gen civics in the back, where the trunk is, it's like a criss cross bar? What about a C pillar bar? or that b pillar bar too right? Would all that stuff help with chassis flex?
Old 08-31-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I've heard people really like their B pillar bars, they do strengthen the car up, but I read after a while their doors didnt fit the same as before the bar due to the flex. A front strut bar is going to hold your shock towers together. If you dont have one of those, go for it.

With my front bar off, i've realized the front has gotten a lot softer and flexed more (could also be due to stiff suspension)- even the slight lip between street and driveways you can feel the front shock towers get uneven when taking it at a slight angle. I need to order a bar, just havent had the time to sit down and do it lately.

I'm skeptical for the xbrace. Doesnt it use the same mounting points as the sub frame? If it does... wouldnt the sub frame pretty much already be doing the same job as the x brace?
Old 09-01-2008

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Eyger
So then what's the best way to reduce chassis flex? X brace? What's that other brace that you see in the 5th and 6th gen civics in the back, where the trunk is, it's like a criss cross bar? What about a C pillar bar? or that b pillar bar too right? Would all that stuff help with chassis flex?
Do you want to reduce chassis flex or body roll? They are two different things solved by two different types of parts.

We have a coupe with a strong rear end. There is no need for a C pillar bar, rear strut bar, or X brace in the trunk. They all do ****. The x brace under the car just adds understeer as well as the front strut bar. I have had them both and am currently driving without them and I have more slop going into a turn, but better cornering out of a turn.
Old 09-01-2008
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

Words from the wise. Looks like I'll save my money and not get the Neuspeed strut bar anymore.
Old 09-01-2008
Registered!!

roll_outz is an unknown quantity at this point

IF your not Racing your car why would you spend that much money for nothing.. Unles you want it just for the looks.
Old 09-03-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

neuspeed bar took away alot of the play in the steering wheel. well worth it to me i hated having dead spot when turning the wheel. after driving with the bar for a while, you will immediately notice the difference if you remove it.

stupid question here, does the rear sway bar have anything to do with alignment? cause i put on different endlinks (dezod) and changed the bushings to ES, and the alignment in the rear went way off.
Old 09-03-2008
Registered!!

gelshmoff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Pro: More potential traction.

Con: more chassis roll/slower turn in response.
indeed. I have the stock springs & struts and I installed the progressive front & rear sway. Since then, my bracket kept breaking on the front sway , so I took off the whole front sway bar.

Now I've notice a much looser ride up front. more comfy, in fact, when riding on bumpy boston roads.

So yeah--more chassis roll definately. BUT, i've noticed after I get into a turn, the car is MUCH more balanced . I haven't gotten silly with it yet, but it seems to have much less understeer.
Old 09-03-2008

Originally Posted by gearbox
neuspeed bar took away alot of the play in the steering wheel. well worth it to me i hated having dead spot when turning the wheel. after driving with the bar for a while, you will immediately notice the difference if you remove it.

stupid question here, does the rear sway bar have anything to do with alignment? cause i put on different endlinks (dezod) and changed the bushings to ES, and the alignment in the rear went way off.
No the sway bar should not affect alignment. The camber arm and the toe bolts are the only things that affect rear alignment.
Old 12-21-2008
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robbclark1
No the sway bar should not affect alignment. The camber arm and the toe bolts are the only things that affect rear alignment.
unless the bar is binding badly... Take endlinks out and try to move the bar up and down. it should move freely if not connected to suspension in the ends. If resists movement, grease bushings. if nothing else helps on freeing bar, trim bushings (extreme action, though...)
Old 12-21-2008
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Do you want to reduce chassis flex or body roll? They are two different things solved by two different types of parts.
+1
The x brace under the car just adds understeer as well as the front strut bar. I have had them both and am currently driving without them and I have more slop going into a turn, but better cornering out of a turn.
I am planning on installing a front brace, but not sure how to setup the suspension afterwards. You commented that it added understeer, so it means i will need to soften the front suspension?
What suspension changes did you do before taking them out? did it not affect the results at all?
In the meantime, i do autoX

Last edited by sdaidoji; 12-21-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2008
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
+1

In the meantime, i do autoX
Then scratch any and all of those multi-point chassis braces off your list of things to buy. Unless of course you like competing in classes you have little chance in winning.
Old 12-23-2008
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Then scratch any and all of those multi-point chassis braces off your list of things to buy. Unless of course you like competing in classes you have little chance in winning.
already a underdog DSP...
modded car before starting to run autoX...
Have a stock miata now, since civic is already so fun to drive, but not competitive... Don't plan on taking the civic back to stock (springs, shocks, rear sway, CAI, etc... too many stuff already in to take out...)
Old 11-15-2009
Registered!!

Mavrick272 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an LX which has no rear bar and has a 22mm front bar, if I'm not mistaken. I want to reduce understeer and not have to worry about snap oversteer. Would a 24 mm rear (paired with stock 22mm in the front) be too large?
Old 11-15-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

go with the rsx 19mm rear sway bar. its the best for balanced performance
Old 11-16-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
go with the rsx 19mm rear sway bar. its the best for balanced performance
Am I going to need the ASR brace?
Where can I get an RSX bar and endlinks that will work with my Civic?

Plan B is the Progress 22mm bar... 3mm can't make that much of a difference, right???

Last edited by Mavrick272; 11-16-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-17-2009
Premium Member

rsx bar anywhere, ebay, this site, clubrsx, people always selling em. you can use the stock endlinks but i prefer the dezod.com upgraded version. thats all you really need. now this is assuming your car already has a sway bar installed. if not, its alot more work and parts. and yes 3mm makes a huge difference.
Old 11-17-2009
Registered!!

No, my car didn't come with rear sways....so what am I looking at for the extra parts and work? I was under the impression if i got the ASR brace everything would bolt up properly
Old 11-17-2009
Premium Member

im not sure about that. dezod has the complete kit for you tho

http://www.dezod.com/pd_progress_ant...ar_adapter.cfm

and endlinks

http://www.dezod.com/cat_end_links.cfm
Old 04-25-2010
Registered!!

This project kinda died over the school year...
But now that schools done I'm looking back into it

According to my research I'm going to need the ASR brace and then I'm going to have to drill holes for the sway bar mounting bracket (sounds easy, right??)
Here is the basic procedure, for anyone else attempting this:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...nting-kit.html

For the actual bar I'm looking at the RSX 19mm bar

What RSX's had the 19mm bars? was it the 04-06?
Will they work on my 6Gen?
I'm assuming Grey's endlinks will work w/ the RSX bar

Last edited by Mavrick272; 04-25-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2014
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

***Please only remove the front sway If you are experienced with track time, and be careful.***

I saw this thread and thought I would give a definitive answer, since I've been tracking with this setup for a few months now.

In the coupe d17a2 EX 01-05

If you are auto crossing I can highly recommend removing the front sway bar after installing a large rear swaybar.

My car is lowered 3 inches on Raceland coilovers with a 24mm Progress rear sway and the front sway deleted. It handles like butter =D.

Before the front sway delete, running the 3 inch drop and 24mm Progress. I was still having slight under steer problems (It was still vastly superior to the stock rear sway though) that limited me to 100km, at a certain track, before the car would develop under steer, screaming tires and the rear tires sliding. At this point 100km was the absolute limit that I could maintain control, I was limited by the suspension setup, not my own ability.

With the deleted front sway 100km is easy. Scarily easy, I haven't pushed past 105km because I am scared that the car will slide out with no sign of under steer. At this point it is me who is limiting the speed in which I am cornering, not the under steer. I haven't found the car's speed/steering/traction/cornering potential yet.