Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Koni Sport Kit ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mad_ox1 will become famous soon enough
Koni Sport Kit ?'s

1st off, thanks to boilermaker for answering some of my questions via PM earlier and to robbclark for all the great info in his faq's.

Link to Sport Kit: http://www.koni-na.com/sportkit.cfm?x=31&y=14

Link to Shocks only: http://www.koni-na.com/sport.cfm?x=70&y=8

Link to Springs only: http://www.koni-na.com/springs.cfm

The first question is regarding the springs included in the sport kit. Koni apparently does not release their spring rates (at least not when you call their tech support). Does anyone know what the rates are, or can at least compare them to rates of other spring options?

Second, I have heard from a few of sources that buying the kit gives you a complete, assembled component. However, the Koni site lists the same note for the kit as the shocks alone, ie. that they require the stock housing (click 'more info' for the kit here: http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cf...=46&submit.y=8 ).

Thanks to all for anticipated responses.

P.S. I did some searching, but I won't claim to have been completely comprehensive in doing so, I apologise if I missed this being covered already.
Old 03-20-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Koni Sport Kit ?'s

first things first.......their sport pack is basicaly just the INSERT..and the SPRING.....

its a 50mm or 55mm koni-yellow tube that you WILL HAVE TO CUT UR OEM strut housing to fit in....

koni STILL does not make full replacement fronts for our 7thgens
Old 03-20-2008

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

if u read their fine print (well, not really) it will specify

"Special McPherson strut insert bolted into O.E. housing after cutting top and removing old internal parts. 50mm(or 55mm for 03+ civics) outer diameter housing only."

also, if u just click on their red wrench sign and read their manual , it shows u that u have to cut it...

your welcome in adv...

and thank you for searching

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 03-20-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2008

btw, i highly recomend koni w/ ground control... they ABOUT the same price........

but you get getter handling + height adjustability + comfort + did i mention handling?

im running them and i am completely satisfied.
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

Thanks for helping clear that up, like I said I had heard both things, so its good to get clarification.

Anyone have thoughts/opinions on the springs themselves.
Old 03-20-2008

i think koni just recently came out with those springs....because when i lowered my car a few months ago, i didnt come across them in my reserach for konis
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

Well, that is not the price I would be paying, I just used those links for reference to the parts.

More or less, the kit is $100 more than just the struts. The GC's seem to be a little over $300, so it would be about a $200 difference.

The GC's were actually the other setup I was considering. The pros are height adjustability and the custom spring rates. obviously the $200 more is a con, but when spending at least $700 or so I guess it isn't that huge a difference. I'm trying to decide if it is worth it.

Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2008

^it is...its totally worth it, and if i had to do it all over, i would...

theres an old saying that is totally true

"do it right the first time"

the problem with springs is they're not adjustable...and if u decide to add subs or take them out, they will change ur rear bout an inch in height....which will make ur car look rediculous if you want perfect 1 finger gap all round...
Old 03-20-2008

also, you're gonna need to invest in a camber kit...unless u wanna be getting new tires every few months =[

http://www.ajusa.com/browse/index/1?...486d8089c30e42

that is where i got my koni's

and as for GC i ordered it stright from GC because i needed longer rear springs (6" instead of 5"....search for the DIY koni and GC install thread, and you'll see wt i mean)
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

They claim to be adjustable, do you mean that after you set them initailly they are too difficult to bother to change or is it really not possilbe?

Where I'm getting my GC info: http://www.ground-control-store.com/...p/II=523/CA=71

I have a set of GC's sitting next to me that are about to go into an EG coupe and I can see at least how they should be adjustable, I guess I'm not getting your meaning on that point.

No sub concerns for me, prob the only issue in terms of changing weight balance would be removing the spare.

Which spring rates did you go with?
Old 03-20-2008

i have like 500 in the rear (or 5 something)

as for the konis being adjsutable, they are dampen adjustable...and unlike most strut-dampener system, when you adjsut ur konis, they will not scrafice ur ride quality vs handling
Old 03-20-2008
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
i have like 500 in the rear (or 5 something)

as for the konis being adjsutable, they are dampen adjustable...and unlike most strut-dampener system, when you adjsut ur konis, they will not scrafice ur ride quality vs handling
They also are height adjustable in the rear, but not in a coilover sense. The konis have two perches in the rear that allow you to adjust the spring height lower or higher.
Old 03-21-2008
Registered!!

Yeah, I'm familiar with the damping adjustabilty of the konis, what I meant was regarding the ride height adjustment of the GC's and the difficulty of changing it after installation.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-21-2008

Originally Posted by mad_ox1
Yeah, I'm familiar with the damping adjustabilty of the konis, what I meant was regarding the ride height adjustment of the GC's and the difficulty of changing it after installation.

Thanks guys.
its not hard...

during the winter months in CA, i go snowboarding on the weekends...

and i raise it on friday (for chains) and board saturday/sunday and then lower it again on sunday night...

......for the 4 months of winter

its very simple, and very fast to adjust
Old 03-21-2008
Registered!!

Ok, great, thanks again.
Old 03-21-2008
Registered!!

Also, I see you had to get the 6" rears like boiler did, is that a coupe specific issue, or does that apply to a sedan as well? I assume it does, as most things are built the same between body styles, but want to be sure.
Old 03-23-2008
Registered!!

Here: Http://www.civicforums.com/forums/44...available.html

it says that the Ground Control camber plates work only with the GC upper mounts. Do these upper mounts come w/ the camber plates, the coil-over, or are they a separately purchased item.

Also having to adjust them with the tire off is an inconvenience, but I don't think I would adjust them much if at all. I'm more interested in avoiding the camber bolts which don't hold their settings as well.

Any reasons not to go with this front camber setup on a Koni/GC supension?

Last edited by mad_ox1; 03-23-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-23-2008
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mad_ox1
Here: Http://www.civicforums.com/forums/44...available.html

it says that the Ground Control camber plates work only with the GC upper mounts. Do these upper mounts come w/ the camber plates, the coil-over, or are they a separately purchased item.

Also having to adjust them with the tire off is an inconvenience, but I don't think I would adjust them much if at all. I'm more interested in avoiding the camber bolts which don't hold their settings as well.

Any reasons not to go with this front camber setup on a Koni/GC supension?
The GC camber plate may be discontinued. Unfortunately, the GC camber plate adjusts camber from the bottom. It will work fine, but it will probably be more of a set and forget it type camber situation. I just saw that GC has a universal camber plate ($400), but I don't know if it will work with this set up. You may have to call and ask.
Old 03-24-2008
Registered!!

Ok, I talked to GC, and the camber kit has been discontinued.

Assuming you have one, it mounts right up to their coil-over. The camber kit is just the plates, all the rest of the necessary hardware is included in the coil-over kit.

Not sure if that info helps anyone else, but thought I'd share what I found.