Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

energy suspension LCA bushings...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold
energy suspension LCA bushings...

well, here is the deal....

i bought some, and installed them, and they are a fantastic mod, but here is the kicker...

i was going to do a DIY for this, but in my opinion, it simply is not possible to do at home....

here is a small list of tools needed to do this:

1 decent Impact wrench
1 air hammer
1 19mm impact socket
1 ball type impact swivel
1 14mm socket
1 metric set of allen wrenches
1 ratchet 3/8" drive
1 17mm socket
1 press
1 vice
1 BIG *** prybar(i used a 6footer)

ok, all that said, if u have all the above, add a car lift to it, and u might have a chance...

anyway, it took me 2 hours to install these, and the install was the easy part, getting the bushings out was the hard part. even pulling the lower control arms out of the subframe was easy. but i hammered on the larger compliance bushigns for 30 seconds or so,and they popped out, no biggie its the smaller bushing that was a bitch, first had to press out the center of the bushing, the metal part, then had to hammer out the outer sleeve, all in all about 20 minutes, with an air hammer.... install was easy, just popped in.

anyway, a pic of my torn compliance bushing and yes, the part im holding is supposed to be attatched to the lower control arm...(its blurry, sorry, but u get the idea)

next is a picture of me pressing out the center of the rear bushing

and finally, a picture of the new bushings installed, not much to see, but still....

so, long story short, really good modification, makes turning smoother, and bumps less annoying when your looooow, also cuts down on vibration and speed wobble
Old 03-14-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: energy suspension LCA bushings...

I dont see the pic of you holding it, I guess I'm viewing too early =P
Old 03-14-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

where did you get them? good diy i need some lol
Old 03-14-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

here

best price outtherem, i looked
Old 03-14-2008
Registered!!

Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

ok...i had mine replaced a month or 2 ago. good job. i retained the rubber oem bushings though polyurethane is annoying and noisy when its not lubed
Old 03-14-2008
Registered!!

Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

and you can do it at home, you just need the tools you named..you dont need an impact if you got good strength and to get the bushings out you can use a sawzall
Old 03-15-2008
Banned

that is true, you COULD do this at home, but it would be a bitch, the compliance bushings wouldnt be bad, its the rears that would be the hassle, u almost have to have a press to get them out, i had an air hammer, and it wouldnt budge the sumbitch
Old 03-15-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ondalow01 has a spectacular aura aboutondalow01 has a spectacular aura about

i just got these in 2 days ago and im going to be putting them on this week. My oem ones are tore up so my mechanic told me to get new ones so i went with the polyurethane.

My question is will these stop my wheels from hitting so hard because when i accelerate i feel and hear a popin sound. i have a Stage 1 clutch and the energy suspension motor mount inserts but i havent figured out what causes this.
Old 03-15-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice stuff Adam. These are on the list (I wish it still wasn't so long) of things I need to do suspension-wise.
Old 03-15-2008
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

most of us in the DC area only installed the front compliance bushing because the other one rarely tears. The front compliance OEM bushing is a piece of ****. You think they could have designed it better. Anyway, if you have access to a press, this process goes much smoother.

Next time, try doing the rears
Old 03-15-2008
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by greeen01civic4d
that is true, you COULD do this at home, but it would be a bitch, the compliance bushings wouldnt be bad, its the rears that would be the hassle, u almost have to have a press to get them out, i had an air hammer, and it wouldnt budge the sumbitch
So did the air hammer ultimately work, or did you have to do something else?
Old 03-15-2008
Banned

Originally Posted by ondalow01
i just got these in 2 days ago and im going to be putting them on this week. My oem ones are tore up so my mechanic told me to get new ones so i went with the polyurethane.

My question is will these stop my wheels from hitting so hard because when i accelerate i feel and hear a popin sound. i have a Stage 1 clutch and the energy suspension motor mount inserts but i havent figured out what causes this.
answer is yes, it will, i had the same problem, i have the same setup, and had the same popping when i got on it in first and second, and it also quited my ride over bumps and potholes, u might also check your front motor mount, they rip a lot too, and make a popping sound too

Originally Posted by robbclark1
most of us in the DC area only installed the front compliance bushing because the other one rarely tears. The front compliance OEM bushing is a piece of ****. You think they could have designed it better. Anyway, if you have access to a press, this process goes much smoother.

Next time, try doing the rears
i did the fronts and rears this time, the fronts can be done with an air hammer, but rears take a press and air hammer, but the rears were much harder to remove than the fronts

Originally Posted by pheaton
So did the air hammer ultimately work, or did you have to do something else?
yes, the air hammer did work for the compliance bushigns in the front, but it would be much easier with a press, the rear is in really really well, and honestly, you would be better off just changing the compliance bushing, i dont see why the rear would be important to change, i did it just cuz i was already in there, and had the tools available
Old 03-15-2008

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

i did the fronts and rears this time, the fronts can be done with an air hammer, but rears take a press and air hammer, but the rears were much harder to remove than the fronts
You changed the rear suspension bushings? The ones in the back of the car, not the rear "front" bushing.
Old 03-15-2008
Banned

oh, no, i did that like 2 years ago, i had the rear suspension squeak tsb, so i changed those, those really really sucked, beleive me
Old 03-15-2008
Registered!!

thanks green01 good to have a positive view when im going to be tearing the old ones off BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE MY WHEELS ARE GOING TO FALL OF WHEN THEY POP.
Old 03-15-2008
Banned

thats how mine used to feel, i love the new ones tho, im dropped 2.25" and the ride is so much better now, its like night and day, good luck, and keep me updated
Old 03-15-2008

thats how mine used to feel, i love the new ones tho, im dropped 2.25" and the ride is so much better now, its like night and day, good luck, and keep me updated
It is like night and day...I loved when I put in the compliance bushing. It is one of my favorite mods.
Old 03-15-2008
Banned

how long u had urs? do they squeak at all?
Old 03-15-2008

how long u had urs? do they squeak at all?
i think a year or so. Everything squeaks. I have more poly bushings on my car than I know what to do with. Also, my exhaust rubs on the heater hose attached to the sway bar. Just turn up the radio.
Old 03-15-2008
Banned

i feel ya on that one, i got more noises than i care to count, all i do is crank the subs, so i can make more noises
Old 03-16-2008
Registered!!

i will be replacing my lcab on monday after i get out of class. im just wondering do you have to remove the lower strut bolts in order to get the arm off? or is there a seperate bolt that connects to the hub and disconetcs the control arm.
Old 03-16-2008
Banned

its 4 bolts to remove the whole arm, 2 at the subframe, 1 is the lower ball joint, and the other one is the sway link bolt
Old 03-16-2008
Registered!!

ok, so thats not bad maybe il do them tonight. thanks green01
Old 03-16-2008
Registered!!

i attempted tonight but no can do the lower ball joint did not want to pop of the arm... wat can i do?
Old 03-16-2008
Banned

take a prybar between the control arm and the knuckle, and with the other hand, hit the lower control arm with a hammer while prying the two apart, its the only way to do it
Old 03-17-2008

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/TA-61900.html

I used one on Andy's car and his ball joints were busted. This tool makes it easier. Bomerman brought it over for us to use.
Old 03-17-2008
Registered!!

ok ill try that tonight if i have time. Thanks green01
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

Syx_Pak is an unknown quantity at this point

did you use the press to put in the new bushings?? i took mine to a mechanic and he freakin cut off the lip to install it!!! never again will i trust anyone with my car! is there a way to do it without a press?
Old 03-20-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

sweeet!!!
Old 03-20-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you need the press

Quick Reply: energy suspension LCA bushings...