Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

SHOCK/DAMPER INFORMATION....Stop posting the same fricking questions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation SHOCK/DAMPER INFORMATION....Stop posting the same fricking questions!

You have a few options for shocks currently.

Koni Yellow (50mm, 55mm)
KYB Gr-2 (2001-2002, 2003-2005)
KYB AGX
Tokico Blues (HP) (2001-2002, 2003-2005)
Tokico D Spec
Mouton (but these are mad expensive)
Spoon (but these are mad expensive)

1) Koni yellows - The front struts need to be modified for them to fit. There are a few different sizes (50mm or 55mm). These are probably your best bet for autocrossing or road racing if you don't have full coils.

You've got 2 sizes for koni yellows. 50mm and 55 mm. There is no way of determining which you need by year. You MUST measure the housings of the struts in your car and buy the right ones. Honda mixed them in randomly and there is no other way to tell which ones you need.

There also are two different types of Konis. There are Konis for stock springs and there are konis for GC coilovers. Make sure you get the right ones.

2) KYB Gr-2 - These are not performance shocks. While they are better than OEM they usually can't handle a very low drop. They will improve ride and handling, but aren't meant to be slammed on. They are non-adjustable.

3) KYB AGX - Adjustable shocks good for lowering and some racing. While konis might be better, these are a good alternative. They are either 4 or 8 way adjustable.

These shocks SHOULD fit with Skunk2 coilovers

4) Tokico Blues (HP) - These are decent shocks. They are non-adjustable. They are probably better than the Gr-2s, but usually can't handle very low drops.

The blues are NOT compatible with GC coilovers

5) Tokico D-Specs - 16 way adjustable shocks. These are probably very close to koni's in terms of performance, but very few people have them just yet.

READ THIS
All shocks, except for konis, are made for a 2001-2002, so the mount bolts are 14mm not 16mm like in the 2003+. Either you will have to drill them out or hope that the company makes a set for you guys. The can be put on your 2003+ but you run the risk of the mount bolts coming loose and the shock changing camber. The blues and GR-2s come for both.

[im

The circled part has to be drilled from a 14mm to 16mm.
Thanks to gaugeof12 for the pic

So in the end if you are racing, adjustable shocks are probably your best bet. Konis are the shock of choice though you have to modify your front struts. The D-Specs and AGXs should do fairly well too. The Blues and the Gr-2s, while better than stock, usually can't handle very low drops or tons of racing. I am not saying it can't be done, I am just saying that isn't their design.

If there is anything wrong with this information, please post and I will correct it. I currently don't know what size konis to pick so that would be a good thing to know. Also, if you want to add anything let me know.

Misc information
1) The bumpstops of the newer/larger oem front struts will not fit the older designs correctly.

Last edited by robbclark1; 05-07-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-04-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
You've got 2 sizes for koni yellows. 50mm and 55 mm. There is no way of determining which you need by year. You MUST measure the housings of the struts in your car and buy the right ones. Honda mixed them in randomly and there is no other way to tell which ones you need.
Old 09-10-2004
Registered!!

slowvic is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow. My imfamous front strut shows itself again! Rob, you should also add that the bumpstops of the newer/larger oe front struts will not fit the older designs correctly.
Old 09-10-2004

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Keep them coming.
Old 10-10-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Robbclark
Old 10-12-2004
ctv
Registered!!

ctv is an unknown quantity at this point
also on the Tokico's the hole for the steering end link needs to be opened a little aswell

i just installed these on my 04 civic saturday.
Old 10-12-2004

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Good info. Robbclark1. Thanks man.

Last edited by cubanmike26; 10-12-2004 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2004
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Would you consider a very low drop for the Blue's, more than 2 in? I am thinking of getting those with a 1.75-2 in drop?
Old 10-14-2004

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
^^^Too low of a drop would not work with the HPs. They say, max 1.5"s
Old 10-19-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
^tokico blues could handle a drop above 2", but i doubt you will get the same performace out of them as if they were on a 1.5" drop. so no, i wouldnt consider a very low drop on the tockio blues (its even posted on the faq). but a 1.75" drop should be fine.
Old 10-29-2004
Supertastic Member.

Dishwasher is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe you should post what shocks are compatible with which sleeved coilovers and springs etc. Perhaps recommendations and combonations to stay away from. Just a thought.
Old 10-29-2004

They are all compatible....or at least they should be. And yes, besides the mount diameter and the koni size, they should all work with any 7thgen.
Old 10-29-2004
Supertastic Member.

for example I'm picking up some GC coilovers for stock shocks, I was wondering if they would also work with tokico blues? Some people have said that tokicos don't work with skunk 2 coilovers. I dunno just a thought.
Old 10-29-2004

Originally Posted by Dishwasher
for example I'm picking up some GC coilovers for stock shocks, I was wondering if they would also work with tokico blues? Some people have said that tokicos don't work with skunk 2 coilovers. I dunno just a thought.
I haven't read anything about any shock not working with another, but they should work. If anyone has any info, they are more than welcome to post it.
Old 11-07-2004
I'm NeonImpact's a55hat!

specter542 should not be trustedspecter542 should not be trustedspecter542 should not be trustedspecter542 should not be trusted
it seems like none of these shocks are decent, according to the writter....
Old 11-07-2004

Originally Posted by specter542
it seems like none of these shocks are decent, according to the writter....
I am giving the positives and negatives so you can evaluate for yourself. Plus not many people on here have half of those. The ones so far that most people have are Konis and Tokico blues so I really can't evaluate how they perform if no one is writing a review.
Old 11-08-2004
Registered!!

fastcivic03 should not be trusted
i have an 03 shud i go wit the konis? dropped on eibach sportlines and looking for a comfortable ride, also is there any other parts you need or just these shocks
Old 11-08-2004
Supertastic Member.

if you're just looking for a comfortable street ride you should consider tockicos they give good street performance at a much lower cost than konis, if you wanna do autocrossing then konis seem to be the way to go.
Old 11-08-2004
Registered!!

fastcivic03 should not be trusted
but its an 03 will the tockicos still be fine?
Old 11-09-2004
Supertastic Member.

I'm not sure but I think I remember someone saying you need to drill a hole or something, I don't really remember, hopefully someone smarter will come on here and lay it out.
Old 11-09-2004

I'm not sure but I think I remember someone saying you need to drill a hole or something, I don't really remember, hopefully someone smarter will come on here and lay it out.
Reading > you

READ THIS
All shocks, except for konis, are made for a 2001-2002, so the mount bolts are 14mm not 16mm like in the 2003+. Either you will have to drill them out or hope that the company makes a set for you guys. The can be put on your 2003+ but you run the risk of the mount bolts coming loose and the shock changing camber. There is a rumor that tokico has made 2003+ shocks for the blues, but I am not sure yet.
Old 11-09-2004
Supertastic Member.

like this guy ^^
Old 11-09-2004

like this guy ^^
Everyone loves me because I rule!
Old 11-15-2004
Registered!!

prccivic is an unknown quantity at this point
so then, no one has the the D-specs yet? and if they do, what are the comments? And can u buy them without the lowering springs? If so, how much?
Old 11-15-2004

No one has them. Call tokico and ask if they come without springs, but I doubt it. Seem like a good deal, but don't know until someone tries them.
Old 11-15-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by robbclark1
No one has them. Call tokico and ask if they come without springs, but I doubt it. Seem like a good deal, but don't know until someone tries them.

ya, i tried calling them...they send you to retailers and such...but from their website, it sounds like u can buy them with or with the lowering springs...
Old 11-15-2004

Back to topic of updating shock/damper info. PrcCivic, use the thread by curiousfish to ask more questions about the d-specs. Everyone else, please use the threads started to ask questions about specific shocks that aren't answered here.
Old 11-15-2004
Registered!!

What is the difference between the AGX's and the D-specs?....i know they are both adjustable, but are their any differences in their adjustablility?
Old 11-15-2004

Seems like D specs are geared more toward racing. AGX only has 4 or 8 way adjustability. If you plan on racing, I would stick with the d specs or konis. AGX might be a decent alternative, but may not provide enough adjustment. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-16-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by robbclark1
Seems like D specs are geared more toward racing. AGX only has 4 or 8 way adjustability. If you plan on racing, I would stick with the d specs or konis. AGX might be a decent alternative, but may not provide enough adjustment. Just my 2 cents.

cool thanks....i don't plan on doing any track racing, but me and a few buddies go and shoot the mountain roads around where i live all the time....u think the AGX's would be good for that?