Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Best Tires for performance/money?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noahnoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Best Tires for performance/money?

What is the best tire for your money/ride/noise? Everyone seems to like different tires, does anybody know of a website or even your own opinions that really shows the rating and specs on various types of tires?
Old 06-13-2002
Registered!!

2cute is an unknown quantity at this point
Well if you want a breakdown of the performance tires on the market go pick up the June 2002 issue of Import Tuner. They have taken like 15 or so of the most common performance tires and rated them. Personally I don't totally agree with them BUT they are right on, on a few of the tires. They put the Nitto towards the end( bad tires) but they put the Falkens before the Kumho's and Falken suck for street tires. They are notorious for tread seperation. I will give Falken the race tires are exceptional but street aren't that great. Anyhow in my opinion Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s are the best tires for the money. Pirelli are to hard and don't stick that great when you need them to. The Nitto's just down right suck and you pay way to much for them to begin with. Falken are ok like I said before. unfortunatly Advans are not available here. The BF Goodrich they have in there are good I know JUN USA uses them. But for the money Kumho all the way very sticky and last a very long time(if you rotate when you are supose to).
Old 06-13-2002
Registered!!

maverickja17 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have head nothing but good about the Kumho 712, Yoko Paradas would be the second choice.
Old 06-13-2002
Registered!!

vtecharry is an unknown quantity at this point
Bridgestone Potenza RE730s are very good too. I 've had both Kumho & RE730s and the RE730s were better. It all depends on what kind of tire you 're looking for. All Season or summer rubber? The Dunlop SP5000 is an excellent High performance All Season tire that also lasts a very long time. BTW, I 've had the RE730s (on my GSR) for over 2yrs now and auto-x raced on them for a whole season and I still drive on them on the street. They have a lot of tread left! They kick *** in the rain too.
Yoko AVS Intermediates are not bad either but not as good as the RE730. I had the AVSi on my '97 Civic. Not a bad summer tire at all but not as good as some of the new tires. Lasted at least 25k mi. which is ok.. I 've had Dunlop SP8000 too in the past too which was another decent ZR tire. You can still find those btw..
I know a lot of people that drive the Azenis on the street daily plus they auto-x on them and I haven't heard of any problems with them. I didn't know they had tread seperation issues.. that's not good.
Oh I also had P7000 on my Civic in the past, good sticky tire but only lasted about 12k mi! So far the RE730 seems to 've lasted the longest and it's also been the best auto-x tire (never tried the Azenis though) I raced with. I 've never owned any of the really high end street tires like Michelin Pilot or Bridgestone S03, etc. I 'm sure those are probably a little better but they cost a small fortune probably because they come standard on the M3, Porsches, exotic cars, etc. My Kumho V700s are far better than those tires anyway [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]