Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

front noise and jacking up.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kristoliquid is an unknown quantity at this point
front noise and jacking up.

when i do a sharp left, i hear this cringe noise coming. from the front left wheel.
My link kits are finished and need to change all 4, could it be because of the link kits that it makes that noise? Only turning sharply with no bumps or holes while driving slowly.

To try to find the problem, Front wheel drive car, is it safe to jack up the front both wheels, then turn on the engine and then turn the wheels left and right to try and see whats happening? i know theres no weight on the car, but maybe it could still make the noise while turning the wheels.

A few months ago i changed all the suspensions, both front axles and both balljoints and tie rod ends in front.

Last edited by Kristoliquid; 03-01-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: front noise and jacking up.

Originally Posted by Kristoliquid

To try to find the problem, Front wheel drive car, is it safe to jack up the front both wheels, then turn on the engine and then turn the wheels left and right to try and see whats happening?

it depends how safe you feel doing so,

personally i have done it before to isolate which side my bad wheel bearing was on, i made sure to support the car using good quality jackstands, i also put the e-brake on and blocked both rear wheels,

i also did it in an area where there was nothing in front of the car to hit if anything went wrong, don't do it in your garage facing into your house....LOL

whatever you do, do not attempt this using only a floor jack, jackstands are a must

your problem sounds like a bad C/V joint to me
Old 03-02-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

All the above and if you decide to put it in gear, it's a good idea to have each lower control arm raised to get the axles in a line like they run on the road to take all that stress off the CV boots. Also, be sure you hold the brake as you pull into drive and then again making sure both wheels have time to stop when you go into drive.
Old 03-03-2017
Registered!!

Kristoliquid is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont think its the cv joint, its brand new. If it would be the joint it would make more of a KLOK! KLOK! sound. I dont have time to check now because its minus 20 degrees celcius outside and snowing.

It could be the suspension coil thats off its track, because when i turn it makes more like a twisting sound that comes from the front left.