Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

About to change front disc pads again, should I change the drum brake pads too?

Old 09-12-2016
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mililani is just really nicemililani is just really nicemililani is just really nicemililani is just really nice
About to change front disc pads again, should I change the drum brake pads too?

Hi folks,

Tried searching for this topic in previous posts, and it was impossible. So, this will be my second time changing the disc pads. Last time, I changed out my disc pads and drum brake pads at around 100k miles, I found that I had a LOT of padding left on the OEM brake pads. This time, I barely made 70k miles on the after market ones and already wearing down to the calipers. I suppose I can change out all four, but last time I remembered I had a lot more padding left on the rear drum brakes.

So, just a question for you folks, do you guys often change both front and rear pads at the same time? Or could I just keep going with the front pads?
Old 09-12-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: About to change front disc pads again, should I change the drum brake pads too?

mine were pristine at 85k, I think they still are at 125k. no wear at all...

i still have the replacement ones i bought, do you want to buy them?
Old 09-12-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: About to change front disc pads again, should I change the drum brake pads too?

only change rears if they need it,

rear drums should last a heck of a lot longer then front pads, i am still on my original rear drum brakes at 300,000kms

i have changed front pads maybe 4 times and rotors maybe twice, hard to remember, but it also depends a lot on how you drive
Old 09-12-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

My dealers parts department stocks brake pads for almost everything we might see, but stocks brake shoes for absolutely nothing because we never sell them.
Old 09-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mililani is just really nicemililani is just really nicemililani is just really nicemililani is just really nice

Much thanks for the responses. I'm just gonna change out the front pads then.
Old 02-04-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maverickfhs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
mine were pristine at 85k, I think they still are at 125k. no wear at all...

i still have the replacement ones i bought, do you want to buy them?

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but do you still have these shoes for sale?

Think my brother's car need it since it makes a noise while applying brakes or reversing it.

Though our car has ~145k miles. Does it mean shoes need to be replaced?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-04-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but do you still have these shoes for sale?

Think my brother's car need it since it makes a noise while applying brakes or reversing it.

Though our car has ~145k miles. Does it mean shoes need to be replaced?

Thanks for the help.
01-05 Civic? .....better check the front brake pads thoroughly first. The front brakes should have the wear indicators that make the squeal noise just before the pads are completely gone and begin horrible grind noises.
Old 02-04-2017
Registered!!

Thanks EZ, as usual and always.

Yeah, it's an 03. Front pads has been replaced like last year. So they are good and have plenty of meat.
Old 02-04-2017
Registered!!

This squeal comes from the rear brakes when reversing during cold days, not usually during general braking.
Old 02-04-2017

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
This squeal comes from the rear brakes when reversing during cold days, not usually during general braking.
Remove the wheel and brake drum from both sides and inspect/measure the thickness of the brake linings first......and dump out the piles of brake dust that have collected in each drum. That dust buildup could be your issue too.

If someone already replaced the brakes with aftermarket brake shoes, noise might be expected LOL

They DO tend to squeak once every time you pump the brake pedal (car not moving), that's just dry backing plates where the shoes rub.
Old 02-04-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Remove the wheel and brake drum from both sides and inspect/measure the thickness of the brake linings first......and dump out the piles of brake dust that have collected in each drum. That dust buildup could be your issue too.
Will definitely do it in the coming days, that's quite possible since we had the car since 55-60k and know we have never touched rear brakes, yet
You might be right about the back plate rubbing! Because usually noise comes first thing in the morning and not when brakes are applied.
Old 02-04-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Ah, the shoes for sale are a joke, albeit they are in the shelf
Old 02-04-2017
Registered!!

Lol, no problem. Thought should at least check