Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

modifying a proportioning valve?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glamabilly is an unknown quantity at this point
modifying a proportioning valve?

I've got 2000 prelude disks and callipers on the front of my em2. I've kept the rear drums on the car, I didn't see much use in changing to disks. Anyway I have way more stopping power at the front now and I need to increase the pressure to the rears. Has anyone modified a proportioning valve to do this? If not is there an oem option that will not reduce the rear pressure as much.
Old 09-12-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: modifying a proportioning valve?

2 of these, 1 in each front brake line. But the question is why do you want more rear braking action. A properly set up system with normal load will lock the front brakes before the rear assuming no outside factors. Normally the front are expected to do 80% of the braking.

https://www.amazon.com/Wilwood-260-8...B2XBBG71S95EK2
Old 09-12-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the next size larger wheel cylinders?
Old 09-13-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
2 of these, 1 in each front brake line. But the question is why do you want more rear braking action. A properly set up system with normal load will lock the front brakes before the rear assuming no outside factors. Normally the front are expected to do 80% of the braking.

https://www.amazon.com/Wilwood-260-8...B2XBBG71S95EK2
I know most of the braking is done by the front, but since this is not a normal braking system with the bigger disks, bigger pads and bigger pistons in the calliper, the fronts can lock up easily at any speed. I do a lot of driving on gravel, and even with some trail braking going through corners the rears are having little effect.
I would like to not use the individual bias adjusters, i was hoping for an oem solution, or to modify the spring pressure inside the oem one.
Old 09-13-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Go to the next size larger wheel cylinders?
next sized wheel cylinders? do you mean getting a larger drum brake piston assembly? and if so, what one should I be using, one from a CRV?
Old 09-13-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

You could go all the way to the 1999-2001 odyssey rear drums. I think that is the biggest drum system that honda used on any of their vehicles.

What ezone means isn't changing the drums he is referring to changing the rear wheel cylinders. By changing a wheel cylinder to a larger or smaller diameter you change the amount of force that is applied to the shoes. I don't know of anywhere that actually lists wheel cylinder bores for honda applications.

I don't expect that there is anything that can be modified or changed inside a factory proportioning valve.