Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Split between two brake pad/rotor kits and install steps 03 civic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niaboc67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Split between two brake pad/rotor kits and install steps 03 civic?

Hello all!
This is for a 2003 Honda civic ex.

Which of these would be better:

First brake kit

or

Second brake kit

The first one doesn't have the two Phillips head screw holes in it, where the second one does. Confused why that would be.

Also, this will be my first brake job want to make sure I do the job right.

Wondering if I have the steps right.
After wheel is completely off.

1. Take a torque screwdriver and take off the front two screws off the brake rotors.

2. Take pry bar and pry caliper back (still confused on how to do this part could use help on how to do that and where to put the pry bar). not sure if it's needed.

3. Take ratchet w/12mm socket and take off the two 12mm bolts off the back of the caliper.

4. Then wedge the caliper off. Place it away from the working area.

5. Take brake pads out.

6. Take ratchet w/17mm socket and take off the two 17mm bolts off the back of caliper bracket.

7. Take off caliper bracket.

8. Take off the rotor.

9. Put brake lube on the brake holder, then place on the brake rotor.

10. Lather anti-seize on the two screws and screw back in.

11. Clean off the brake pad mounts on the caliper brackets with a wire brush so the brake pad doesn't bind up.

12. Place bracket back on the brakes and then screw back on the 17mm bolts after anti-sezing them.

13. Put anti-seize on the sliders of the brake pads, then put brake pads back in.

14. Compress the caliper with a c-clamp by placing the old pad in there and screwing down to push the piston in. (seen this down with the old one and simply screwing the c-clamp down).

15. Place caliper back into the right position and screw in the 12mm bolts after anti-seizing them.

Put tire back on and done.

Is this correct?

Thank you

Last edited by Niaboc67; 08-11-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-11-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Split between two brake pad/rotor kits and install steps 03 civic?

Are you looking for a performance upgrade in your new brakes?

It's not a torque screwdriver. It's called an impact driver (incase you need to buy one)

Dead blow hammer will get the rotor off also. The 2 screws are not needed for the new rotors. I thinks it is an assembly line thing but they sell replacement screws.
Old 08-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Niaboc67

2. Take pry bar and pry caliper back (still confused on how to do this part could use help on how to do that and where to put the pry bar). not sure if it's needed.
use a C clamp to slowly push the piston back into to caliper,

when you remove the caliper hang it with wire or something from the spring/shock, dont let it dangle by the hose,

and those brake kits look way too cheap to be good quality, i normally spend at least $100 on each rotor,

i would never go cheap on rotors, they will go to hell in no time, if anything go cheap on pads,

a good quality rotor should last you 2-3 sets of pads
Old 08-30-2016
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

The Hawk HPS pad/ Quiet Slot combo is a pretty popular performance upgrade. I'm probably gonna get that next week. AutoAnything usually has discount codes that put the whole kit under $200.