Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Brakes and Uphill/Downhill parking

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nikkijordyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Brakes and Uphill/Downhill parking

Greetings everyone!

I have a 2011 Automatic Honda Civic GX. It's a weak little thing, but great on fuel. I have to park in an uphill driveway. After I put the car in "Park" I put on the "Emergency Vrake." When I go to back out, I HATE the noise that it makes when I reverse. It's like it's catching. It makes me so nervous. I tried putting it in Neutral, and of course it still does it.

Do I need to worry about this damaging my brakes? brake pads? Tranny?

Thank you!
Old 08-20-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about
Re: Brakes and Uphill/Downhill parking

Originally Posted by nikkijordyn
When I go to back out, I HATE the noise that it makes when I reverse. It's like it's catching.
I'm assuming you are putting the parking brake on right before getting out of the car.

Best thing to do is come to stop, keep your foot on the brakes, then engage the parking brake before putting the car in park and taking your foot off the brake.

This will keep it from rolling backwards or forwards and binding the transmission and you won't hear that awful clunk when you have to force it out of park.
Old 08-20-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It's normal to hear the park mechanism release with a bang when there's a load against it. Annoying maybe, but it won't hurt anything.

Do what the previous reply said, that should significantly reduce the occurrence.
Old 08-20-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i concur