Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

5 lug conversion without swap parts list and modifications

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009
Prowlin' with a Purpose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
5 lug conversion without swap parts list and modifications

well i been struggling with this for a little while now, but i finally got it all done, well enough to where its driveable

things you need
basic stuff-
base rsx knuckles, front and rear
rsx front lower control arms(stocks can be modified to work by using tapered washers and taking up the slack)
if you have an 03-05 you dont need to modify the front struts
if you have an 01-02 you can either get the later style struts and knuckle bolts, or you can drill out the strut holes and use larger bolts
rsx rear calipers and disks, brake hoses
rsx/ep3 parking brake cables
5 lug wheels 5x114.3

optional stuff-
type s front calipers, front rotors, and brake hoses, brake dust shields
if doing type s brakes, you need at LEAST 16" rims to clear the front brakes

why the specific parts:
base front knuckles-
well as i found out, the type s front hubs, and cv joints do NOT spline to the civic axles, but the civic axles do spline into the base rsx hubs
lower control arms-
the rsx lower ball joints are about 2mm longer than the civic ones, so if you used the civic lower control arms without the tapered washers, you will have some play and be overall bad and loose suspension bits could cause some unwanted tire damage and compromised handling
type s dust shields-
they have HUGE air ducts that are going to help with brake fade

i went with the type s brakes, and 06 civic lx steel wheels, and they barely clear the type s brakes

i also went with the type s front knuckles, but i had to buy the base rsx/ep3 front hubs and bearings to work, i found that IF you used the civic abs sensors on the front and rear, the abs still functions! no hybrid axles needed!
but i havent quite gotten the front struts modified yet, so the alignment goes all out of whack when under hard cornering

basically, everything bolts up even the rear knuckles, swap the rear knuckles with the rear disk conversion

the front is pretty straight forward, unless you go with the type s brakes, for that you need to press out the hubs, and swap the dust shields, OR you could get the type s knuckles, and swap the hubs and bearings out and change them out, the type s and base front wheel bearings are the same part number, so whichever approach you want, it will work either way

sorry i dont have any pics or anything.. but im still working out the kinks but its on the car, and everything works
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

asiandude03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 5 lug conversion without swap parts list and modifications

I think you hit almost every point! Here is some picture of my swap!

BEFORE PICTURE
Name:  kit-1-1.jpg
Views: 4503
Size:  113.1 KB
AFTER PICTURE
Name:  CIMG6277.jpg
Views: 5581
Size:  88.2 KB
Old 05-13-2009
Registered!!

03hcex is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey man, you did a great job with that conversion. I want to do something like that to my 03 sedan. The stock RSX wheels that you have just makes your car stand out.
Old 05-13-2009
Registered!!

cjrager89 will become famous soon enough

very nice
Old 05-13-2009
Registered!!

usnpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice. Another 5lug em2..werd.
Old 06-25-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Still a great write up, I'm surprised more ppl weren't interested in this.
Old 06-25-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Still a great write up, I'm surprised more ppl weren't interested in this.
Old 06-25-2009
Delightfully tacky. Yet unrefined

m3gach33zy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think most are intersted Triz but most can live with the 4 lug lol
Old 06-29-2009
Living Life Turn After Turn

04civic07 will become famous soon enough04civic07 will become famous soon enough

wow... too bad my civic is back to stock or else i would have done that. GREAT job. all you need are pictures and it's a +1.
Old 06-25-2010
Registered!!

naspc is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for digging this thread up. But I have to say this DIY was dead on. Thanks! Many people would ask why, I say why not? I get all round disk brake and new choices in 5 lugs rims. Plus, I did it because I can.

And now the results.

Name:  IMG_0746.jpg
Views: 4857
Size:  84.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0747.jpg
Views: 4524
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0750.jpg
Views: 4215
Size:  69.1 KB

Last edited by naspc; 06-25-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-15-2010
Registered!!

maro is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you soo much i have been searching forums for a conversion like this. but know one actually tried thx and i will be starting mine
Old 08-15-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by WannaBFast
well i been struggling with this for a little while now, but i finally got it all done, well enough to where its driveable

things you need
basic stuff-
rsx front lower control arms(stocks can be modified to work by using tapered washers and taking up the slack)
if you have an 01-02 you can either get the later style struts and knuckle bolts, or you can drill out the strut holes and use larger bolts
5 lug wheels 5x114.3

optional stuff-

why the specific parts:
base front knuckles-
well as i found out, the type s front hubs, and cv joints do NOT spline to the civic axles, but the civic axles do spline into the base rsx hubs
lower control arms-
the rsx lower ball joints are about 2mm longer than the civic ones, so if you used the civic lower control arms without the tapered washers, you will have some play and be overall bad and loose suspension bits could cause some unwanted tire damage and compromised handling
type s dust shields-

i went with the type s brakes, and 06 civic lx steel wheels, and they barely clear the type s brakes

i also went with the type s front knuckles, but i had to buy the base rsx/ep3 front hubs and bearings to work, i found that IF you used the civic abs sensors on the front and rear, the abs still functions! no hybrid axles needed!
but i havent quite gotten the front struts modified yet, so the alignment goes all out of whack when under hard cornering

basically, everything bolts up even the rear knuckles, swap the rear knuckles with the rear disk conversion

the front is pretty straight forward, unless you go with the type s brakes, for that you need to press out the hubs, and swap the dust shields, OR you could get the type s knuckles, and swap the hubs and bearings out and change them out, the type s and base front wheel bearings are the same part number, so whichever approach you want, it will work either way

sorry i dont have any pics or anything.. but im still working out the kinks but its on the car, and everything works
I dont know much but what are knuckles
Old 08-15-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

You dont have to use only the rsx parts you can also do the five lug conversion with the parts from the 04-05 ep3 cause they are 5 lug.

Originally Posted by maro
I dont know much but what are knuckles
The knuckle is the piece that bolts on the bottom part of the strut and the lca.
Old 08-21-2010
Registered!!

I have a right hand drive 4dr sedan can the left hand drive parts work or shu i look to the right and drive integra
Old 08-21-2010
Registered!!

White02CivicSi has a spectacular aura aboutWhite02CivicSi has a spectacular aura about

how much does all of the parts cost to do this conversion? [type s and regular rsx]
Old 08-21-2010
Registered!!

White02CivicSi has a spectacular aura aboutWhite02CivicSi has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by naspc
Sorry for digging this thread up. But I have to say this DIY was dead on. Thanks! Many people would ask why, I say why not? I get all round disk brake and new choices in 5 lugs rims. Plus, I did it because I can.

And now the results.

Hey Naspc! Is the little grey/silver square below the door handle of the rear door part of the 5 lug conversion or is it for performance?

That is so cool! LOL

AA
Old 08-21-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by White02CivicSi
how much does all of the parts cost to do this conversion? [type s and regular rsx]
You know that since you have the ep3 you can just get the 04-05 ep3 5 lug. All you need is the knuckles, hubs, axles, and the rims. All of this is not going to cost much at all.
Old 08-21-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

just to let you know, its a felony offense to put a lic plate thats other than ur real lic plate on ur car. u might want to take off ur front "em2" lic plate.
Old 12-18-2010
Registered!!

jringo8769 should not be trusted

Originally Posted by WannaBFast

things you need
basic stuff-
5 lug wheels 5x114.3

optional stuff-

why the specific parts:
base front knuckles-
lower control arms-
type s dust shields-

Hey..just ran across this thread..just what i have been looking for..just a couple of questions now that you have done this...proportioning valve..does it need to be from the rsx?..do your factory civic tie rod ends still work?..what about the rear brake lines?....so if i am reading this correctly..i could get all rsx tpye s parts and just change the front only hubs to base rsx and all will just bolt up?..and work ok?...hey thanks again...excellent thread..John
Old 12-18-2010
Registered!!

vi3tx13oy is an unknown quantity at this point

hey i know this is off topic but did u lower ur car? and are u running on 16" or 17"?
Old 12-18-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

You can change the proportioning valve, brake booster and master cylinder if you want to, but its not necessary.
You can't change the front only, then you would have a different bolt pattern on the front and rear.
You need to you base RSX hubs, the other hubs will not bolt up.
You can keep your tie rod ends.

This is a MAJOR project, that I wouldn't recommend attempting if you aren't extremely experienced. I would suggest looking into adapters instead.

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-18-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MindBomber
You can change he proportioning valve, brake booster and master cylinder if you want to, but its not necessary.
FYI: Buddy did this conversion and didn't change the proportioning valve. He said that after a longer drive the back brakes were smoking. He thought it might be stuck calipers (used) but, figured out that the proportion valve was holding the pads against the disc. Changed it out and the problem stopped.
Old 12-18-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Really, I wonder what caused that.

I know a lot of people have done this conversion, but many of them don't change out the proportioning valve and haven't had any problems..

Originally Posted by lazlong
FYI: Buddy did this conversion and didn't change the proportioning valve. He said that after a longer drive the back brakes were smoking. He thought it might be stuck calipers (used) but, figured out that the proportion valve was holding the pads against the disc. Changed it out and the problem stopped.
Old 12-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

I know, I've had several friends with this conversion and he was the only one who had this problem. He pulled the calipers and replaced the gaskets as they were sitting in the salvage yard for 2 years and it didn't fix the problem. He told me he was thinking that the original valve was set up for drum instead of disc, changed it out and viola. It makes sense but, why would he be the only one?
Old 12-18-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Sitting in the yard for two years.. I bet overtime something inside the caliper started to seize up, so the flow from the EM2 proportioner was insufficient to engage/disengage the caliper properly. Swap in the DC5 proportioner and the increased flow gives enough power to get the caliper cylinder moving again..
Old 01-27-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Sitting in the yard for two years.. I bet overtime something inside the caliper started to seize up, so the flow from the EM2 proportioner was insufficient to engage/disengage the caliper properly. Swap in the DC5 proportioner and the increased flow gives enough power to get the caliper cylinder moving again..
Actually, the EM2 proportioning valve is more rear biased. It provides greater flow to the rear calipers than the DC5 valve does. IIRC drums require more fluid compared to calipers, for equal braking pressure. Hence, you would have less rear bias for the DC5 valve. I initially went with the EP3 4-way joint vs. the DC5 valve. The joint allows the ABS to determine which caliper needs more pressure vs. a set ratio with a proportioning valve. In the end, I ended up keeping the stock EM2 setup, because I have more clamping force in the front with 6-piston calipers vs. a floating single caliper in the rear. I liked the balance achieved with the rear biased valve.

I think the fix achieved by swapping in a DC5 valve was just a fluke. There may have been some contaminants cleared when the lines were filled with new fluid and bleed and/or whatever was binding the 2 year old, static calipers, worked itself out. Just my $.02

Last edited by maxtierney; 01-27-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2011
Registered!!

Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

very good information in this thread. I guess we dont need the rear trailing arm...whew
Old 05-10-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Reviving this thread.

This says you should use RSX lower control arms because the ball joints are longer on the RSX. That being said, can I press out the RSX balljoints and press in the Civic ones to make it work like the OEM civic setup? New balljoints are cheaper than new control arms
Old 05-06-2013
Registered!!

Norris is an unknown quantity at this point

2009 SI Civic showed up at the shop today (Getting a clutch). I thought I would try them out. Only have the rears converted right now. Stock springs etc.Sorry for reviving an old thread
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01836.jpg
Views:	2361
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	85115  
Old 10-26-2013
Registered!!

em2edo is an unknown quantity at this point

I already installed the rsx type s rear 5 lug without a problem. What else will i need to do the fronts i have the a complete frame, from the struts down struts, springs, tie rods i have everything minus the swap how do i get it to work? could i press in the civic hub bearing into the type s spindal?

Quick Reply: 5 lug conversion without swap parts list and modifications