Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

19" rims stolen in NJ - OEM lock nuts compromised

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
19" rims stolen in NJ - OEM lock nuts compromised

My cousin called me from New Jersey today, said he woke up this morning to see his new TL w/ drop and 19" chromes now sitting on cinder blocks....

He had no alarm unfortunatly but was using OEM lock nuts, insurance is replacing the rims, but for all those with rims, next time your at your local auto parts store may want to pick up a tilt sensor or an extra set of lugs. Im using McGuards and i'm definatly going to pick up a different set.

They managed to get 4 lock nuts off within about an 8 hour period in a heavily residential neighborhood. Decent neighborhood too...

Nothing worse then seeing your car sittin on cinders

Last edited by AggressiveAdam; 08-14-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

ohnoitssoysauce is an unknown quantity at this point
that really sucks...i was looking into a tilt sensor myself before i get rims. i have compustar by the way and does anyone know if compustar's tilt sensor is any good?
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tacheon is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AggressiveAdam
My cousin called me from New Jersey today, said he woke up this morning to see his new TL w/ drop and 19" chromes now sitting on cinder blocks....

He had no alarm unfortunatly but was using OEM lock nuts, insurance is replacing the rims, but for all those with rims, next time your at your local auto parts store may want to pick up a tilt sensor or an extra set of lugs. Im using McGuards and i'm definatly going to pick up a different set.

They managed to get 4 lock nuts off within about an 8 hour period in a heavily residential neighborhood. Decent neighborhood too...

Nothing worse then seeing your car sittin on cinders
Universal locknut removal tools have been on the market for ages. They are made by snap-on, Mac, as well as some lesser known companies. The no-name ones are less than $15. They work similar to nut extractors, except you tap it on with a hammer and you undo it with a lug wrench/breaker bar. It only takes marinally longer to undo locking lugnuts compared to conventional lugnuts. There are no wheel locks which are immune to these types of tools. The locking lugnuts are just a deterrent. Attached is a photo of the locking lugnut removal tool.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	58496  
Old 08-15-2005
jdmtytedoridori
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
damn man that sucks. thats why im staying with oem wheels, they keep their value, although not many people desire them.
Old 08-15-2005
There is gl@ss in my @SS...

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
Ouch, so much for wheel locks, some sort of alarm, I haven't heard much about the tilt sensor, who makes them?
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
dam that sucks. where did this happen. i live in south jersey.
Old 08-15-2005
Tejas PimP

Danger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really nice
That suckz the big one man.. Makes me want to go out and spend some coin on an alarm myself...
Old 08-15-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by silver04
damn man that sucks. thats why im staying with oem wheels, they keep their value, although not many people desire them.
you dont know how many people would love to have a set of the OEM USDM ITR wheels here in CALI.

sucks about the wheels. what kind were they anyways? and it is NJ...heard a lot of theives around that area
Old 08-15-2005
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by tacheon
Universal locknut removal tools have been on the market for ages. They are made by snap-on, Mac, as well as some lesser known companies. The no-name ones are less than $15. They work similar to nut extractors, except you tap it on with a hammer and you undo it with a lug wrench/breaker bar. It only takes marinally longer to undo locking lugnuts compared to conventional lugnuts. There are no wheel locks which are immune to these types of tools. The locking lugnuts are just a deterrent. Attached is a photo of the locking lugnut removal tool.
Yes these do work, but they create a lot of noise. I have used these before, when I used to work as a tire changer. btw, I used it at work, for legitimate purposes.

However, you still can get around these. For example, my rims. They have really small holes for the lug nuts and locks. You can't fit this tool into any hole on my rims. The tool is too thick to fit in the lug nut holes.

There maybe no lug or lock nuts immune to this tool, but my rims are immune to this tool.

If someone wants to steal your rims, they'll find one way or another though. I know several ways to steal rims, but I'm not going to tell, nor do I condone it. So please don't pm me asking me how to jack some rims.

If your pathetic enough to steal someone else's property, than you shouldn't be on this forum. I know how it feels to get rims stolen in front of your house, and left on blocks. Happened to me last october, my stock rims were stolen. I didn't have any locks though.

Last edited by phuviano; 08-15-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
talk to the wheel lock focks
Old 08-15-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Curious... how did they get by the locks? did they run them off? or does it look like they snapped the studs? Drilled them out?
Just wondering.
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by exturbo6
dam that sucks. where did this happen. i live in south jersey.
Bloomfield around exit 151 of the jersey parkway

yeah we figure theres some 1989 honda civic riding on 19"s in new wark or something...

at least there was insurance. Wow I really didnt think it was as those tools, there snap-on too, some quality tools.

As far as tilt sensors go I got one on ebay for like $12.
if your cheap you can use a cheap $1 mercury sensor, works great unless you park on hills a lot.

I dont know what kind of wheels they were, im not really big on chromes. He just bought em (along with the new TL) and just dropped the car. So brand new chromes with lots of tread. Ive never seen them but he didnt garage keep his car since where he lives has no access to garages.

He lives in this small apartment building with a pretty secluded back yard. Damn theives. Thank god for insurance
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

kismylx will become famous soon enough
damm that sucks man I say get like 4 sets of 4 different wheel locks then see how hard it is to take them off. If they try to steal them they will proably have a hard time with one wheel the best they would do is try to break i guess.

Last edited by kismylx; 08-15-2005 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2006
Registered!!

Eclectic is an unknown quantity at this point
what's a tilt sensor?

and where can i get those security lock nuts for the rims? i wanna invest on some 15" rims but this thread has made me aware of how easily it can be stolen.

thanks guys
Old 01-07-2006
Registered!!

a4turboss has a spectacular aura abouta4turboss has a spectacular aura abouta4turboss has a spectacular aura about
yea ok it they like the rims they will take them anyway they can get them and if you do have 4 different wheel locks your car will be missing in the morning not just your rims thieves arent as stupid as you people think its either they take your rims and if they cant they will take your car with them

Originally Posted by kismylx
damm that sucks man I say get like 4 sets of 4 different wheel locks then see how hard it is to take them off. If they try to steal them they will proably have a hard time with one wheel the best they would do is try to break i guess.
Old 01-07-2006
In love with Diana...te amo

boricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond repute
f^cking thieves
Old 01-07-2006
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by boricua_civic
f^cking thieves
f^cking noobs
Old 01-07-2006
Registered!!

silcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by a4turboss
yea ok it they like the rims they will take them anyway they can get them and if you do have 4 different wheel locks your car will be missing in the morning not just your rims thieves arent as stupid as you people think its either they take your rims and if they cant they will take your car with them
thats where an immobilizer/kill switch comes into play...
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by AggressiveAdam
Bloomfield around exit 151 of the jersey parkway

Thank god for insurance

no way, my grandparents live in off 150....they live in Beleville....however you spell it...
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by silcoupe
thats where an immobilizer/kill switch comes into play...
thats where a flatbed comes into play
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

slicksivik will become famous soon enoughslicksivik will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by grenloch101056
thats where a flatbed comes into play
thats why u turn ur wheel so it wont go straight and also keep it in gear with ur emergency brake up.
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
tilt sensors suck. get an extra shock sensor for the rear of the car. We have installed tilt sensors on civics, f-150's and everything else. Every time we were able to get the nuts loose then jack it up just enough to ge the wheels off with out setting it off. However having a shock sensor around the area where a jack would go set it off every time.
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Curious... how did they get by the locks? did they run them off? or does it look like they snapped the studs? Drilled them out?
Just wondering.
the locks are just fancy nuts. so if you can get some friction to turn them then you can get them off. When I bought wheel locks one of my friends bet me he could get them off in no time. He grabbed a hammer and a socket. pounded it on and took the lug right off.
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
Unfortunetly wheel locks, like alarms, give people a false sense of security. The deterrents are there for kids and crackheads..... for people with expereince they make a 5 minute difference.

SOrry abotu what ahppened, good lukc.
Old 01-23-2006
Banned

LowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to all
Originally Posted by a4turboss
True to a certain degree... but for the most part it may deter the second level of wheel thieves....
Old 01-24-2006
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
Its not worth getting wheel locks. If there gonna steel your rims there gonna take them off somehow. Its better not to even have them so they at least wont damage the car trying to get the locks off.
Old 01-24-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
this is the reason I am going to get a normal every day car for a few years after college and then get a house with at least 2 stalls. 4 is my reasonable dream. warehouse sized garage if im a millionaire!
Old 02-15-2006
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
its such a sad day to see a car on blocks or worse there rotors, but i guess i point was made, i thought wheel locks would do it, but now im thinking alarm, but im just glad we live in a private gate at our apartment
Old 02-15-2006
Registered!!

bluestreak is an unknown quantity at this point
you should post a pic of the rims so people could look out for them,
they probably are on some shitty car where the rims are worth more than the car itself
Old 02-15-2006
Registered!!

rafjones627 is an unknown quantity at this point
at least a lot of you got cinder block, they left mine right on the rotors and only where able to take 3 of my rims. they are the ones that look like the si ones.
Then the dumb insurance company send some moron to tow it and the retard just dragged it acrross my drive way . What sucked more was that i had a 1000 deductible ( had accident 3 years ago) so i didn't get jack.
And whats worse is that they took right after we got a blizzard in ny.

i'll try to look for the pics

Quick Reply: 19" rims stolen in NJ - OEM lock nuts compromised