Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Drums--->Discs SPELLED OUT

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005
just breathe...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flowerpowerlove is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by HondaLuver
^^^ read post # 9
thanks for the re-direct
Old 07-22-2005
Registered!!

sweeteli99 will become famous soon enoughsweeteli99 will become famous soon enough
got it working, easier than i thought, took about 8hrs though time consuming...
Old 07-22-2005
just breathe...

flowerpowerlove is an unknown quantity at this point
how is the difference?
Old 07-23-2005
Registered!!

sweeteli99 will become famous soon enoughsweeteli99 will become famous soon enough
definately looks better than the drums, feels a lot better at braking
Old 07-23-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
i was a little discouraged with the fact that lx/dx owners cant really benefit from this swap, and for a while I was thinking of not going through with it. Until I looked around, a friend of mine pointed out that there are several shops out there that can create custom brake proportioning pieces, I will definately be looking into that. So sexcivic (banned) is coming to help me do it this week.
Old 08-03-2005
Its a celebration bitches!

HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
^^^ even tho you guys don't have abs, you guys will still benifit from this swap
Old 08-03-2005

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
^^no kidding man. The difference is night and day. They bite really nicely. Im extremely happy.

Just finished my swap...

The whole thing took about 4 hours between two of us, I ran into a clogged valve and a seized cam bolt, which i had to buy from honda...they charged way too much. Not only did i swap out the brakes, but i redid my lower control arms to have factory sway bar mounts. We decided it would be easiest to take the rear suspension out as a unit, starting with the coilovers, then the bolt at the upper control arm, the brake lines, e-brake cable, and finally with the support of the oem jack underneath, the lower control arm. Once the whole assembly was out, it was just a matter of mocking it up with the new control arms, the brakes, and the shock and re-installing it all as a unit. Id recommend starting with the right side of the car first like the DIY says, this way you can attach the LCA to the car and run the e-brake cable up and then button it up to the belly of the car and then continue on with the soft brake lines and the upper control arm. I used Ep3 cables, and everything matched up perfectly except one of the brackets on the drivers side e-brake cable. All you have to do is unclamp it a little, attach the cable to the handle and move the bracket and bend it in place. Works like a charm.

cliffs:
drum brakes + me =
disc brakes + me =
install is straight forward, only hard part is ebrake cables (which wasnt hard at all)

Last edited by skipbarber; 08-03-2005 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-03-2005
Registered!!

Wolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura about
great DIY I love you!!!
Old 08-04-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
I just got done doing this swap today. Heres some key points from my experience:

I used DC5 ebrake cables because they were a tad longer, but it didnt end up making much of a difference when bolting the line to the ebrake handle. Its still a pain. Also the cables guides did bolt up to factory spots, its just that there is some slack towards the wheel - nothing a 12" zip didnt solve.

I used Goodridge SS lines which bolted straight up. These lines are high quality, but aren't really visually noticable. Im going to mount the front lines tomorrow.

I also did not remove the stock wheel sensors from the car. I just removed the Sis and put the stockers on once the hub was mounted up. A small flat head and hammer helped to pop em out.

Before mounting the hubs, I removed the bleed valve from each caliper and mounted the ss lines. I then filled the lines and caliper with a small squeeze bottle to fill everything, then closed the valve. The ss lines had a plug on each end so fluid did not spill.

The 10mm bolt on the factory hard line is brass. It will strip. Grab some vice grips and clamp on to the bolt. Steady, firm pressure in the right direction will pop it loose.

That's about it. If i think of something ill post it. PM me if you have some ?'s...Ill be posting new pics of the ride including the swap probably sometime next week. Remember, an 18" breaker bar is your best friend
Old 08-04-2005

^yea, i used some heavy duty brake cleaner and a snap-on line wrench.
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

i want to see pics of your setup?

i wonder if people notice? "hey that civic has rear disc"
Old 08-04-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sweeteli99
i want to see pics of your setup?

i wonder if people notice? "hey that civic has rear disc"
Unless you know what you're looking at, it goes unnoticed. The rim shadows the rotor over enough (since the rotor is so small), that you really can see it unless you have a rim with a very small diameter hub.
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

yeah, need to get a decal that says "got rear disc?"
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

CIVIC X3 is on a distinguished road
but what if you want to go big break kit in the back and front? do you only get the dc5 cables, ep3 spindles? and then get the ep3 brembo big brake kit or power slot.
Old 08-04-2005

i dont think it would matter, since those kits are designed under the assumption that it is a straight swap, so the engineers know to make the mounting points for lines/cables the same as stock, or provide a new part. and IMO, ep3 cables are more than enough.
sweeteli99:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00052.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	58098  
Old 08-05-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by CIVIC X3
but what if you want to go big break kit in the back and front? do you only get the dc5 cables, ep3 spindles? and then get the ep3 brembo big brake kit or power slot.
i think SSBC makes a disc swap from the stock drums that is larger than the ep3 discs and has a 2 piston caliper. its msrp is around 700 for the rear. but you also need to run 17" rims. thats one option. or you could just get the powerslot rotors for ~300 bucks. But the oem rear caliper is small, and would prolly look really funny matted to a huge rotor.

ill post a few pics in this thread maybe this weekend.
Old 08-05-2005
Registered!!

CIVIC X3 is on a distinguished road
do you know a website site i can go to get the SSBC disc swap? damn i really want to do the swap but not sure about the hand brake cable.

Last edited by CIVIC X3; 04-29-2006 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-05-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by skipbarber
i dont think it would matter, since those kits are designed under the assumption that it is a straight swap, so the engineers know to make the mounting points for lines/cables the same as stock, or provide a new part. and IMO, ep3 cables are more than enough.
sweeteli99:
thats the good stuff right there.

get big brake kit from an ep3, their fronts is the same as ours, and so is the rears (now that you have rear disc). everything should line up, since basically your rear suspension is now the same as an ep3, all cables, etc.
Old 08-05-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I think the SSBC kit says you already need the discs. Its a size upgrade. The drum knuckles don't have any attachment points for calipers, the hubs are different (you can't mount a disc to it, meaning you'd need the knuckles, hubs and bearings along with everything disc relatedl. There's no way they can sell all that for $700.
Old 08-05-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...97&prmenbr=361

it says you need factory discs - eh...
Old 08-07-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms

Rear discs, Hawk Pads, Goodridge SS lines, B&Gs - don't mind the rust from the wash.
Old 08-07-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by blouisgod

Rear discs, Hawk Pads, Goodridge SS lines, B&Gs - don't mind the rust from the wash.
Looks good, do they tend to semi lock at high speed stops? (loud chirps)
Old 08-08-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms

^ I haven't really gotten on them to hard. SO far, braking in the city is 1000x better than stock, prolly cause Im actually using rear brakes now. The pedal is really firm - the ss lines and repetitive bleeding paid off. I'll let you know once i slam on em'.
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

chefjnr is an unknown quantity at this point
thats awesome! I was pretty much never going to do this mod because my rims cost $1300.00, and I thought to go rear disc you were forced to go 5 lug!!! Boilermaker, please PM me asap if you know of a junkyard selling the parts to do this!
Old 08-18-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms

ephatch.com
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

EM2typeflex is an unknown quantity at this point
I got those aem big brake rotors on my rear brake setup, I'll post pictures as sson as I get my car back. it doesn't look that bad when you got those aem rotors all around.
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

chefjnr is an unknown quantity at this point
fastbrakes.com is making a kit for the o1 civic ex that will be a direct bolt on rear disc brake conversion, and will include larger rotors for around $900.00. They are shooting for a Sept. release- or so they tell me...........
Old 11-11-2005
Living Life Turn After Turn

04civic07 will become famous soon enough04civic07 will become famous soon enough
hey guys i just got my ep rear discs today. some questions about the swap. The people at the junk yard cut the brake sensor lines, soo.... (1) can i use the ones that are currently on my drums instead? (2) is the tiny little bottle for the rear brake fluid enough for the discs? (3) rotors are rusted, should i simple use sand paper and just sand them down? (4) any warning signs i should take notice of after install? (5) list of difficulties i should take note of when installing? as in "what should i do before i do that". thats about it haha
Old 11-11-2005

1) yes
2) no, you should thoroughly flush your system
3) no, once installed and you start driving, take it easy and within 1-2 days they should look/feel normal. Mine were pretty bad.
4) yes, if you can't stop, you did it wrong.
5) no, it is a straight forward install. Be sure to check and recheck any and all bolts you removed.
Old 11-23-2005
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
pics dont work anymore..

Quick Reply: Drums--->Discs SPELLED OUT