Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Does your civic shock you when you get out???

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HarryDong is an unknown quantity at this point
Does your civic shock you when you get out???

My civic shocks me everytime i start to shut the door when I get out. I've got a friend who also has a new civic and he said it shocks him too. I was just wondering if anyone else has that happen to them. Or it might be the people with manuals who are always moving their feet around on the carpet or what, but that damn thing will make sparks at night when I touch the door. They need a ground or something, or maybe I do.
Old 09-25-2002
Registered!!

MOUSE is an unknown quantity at this point
MY CIVIC SHOCKS EVERY GIRL THAT GETS IN AND OUT OF MY CAR I DO NOT KNOW Y THAT HAPPENS I THINK MY CAR IS JEALOUS OF THE GIRLS
Old 09-25-2002
Registered!!

Blingin01Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
EVERY FVCKING DAY, it's soo annoying. Like that scene in office space where he's hesitant to grab the door handle. Sometimes I just dont wanna get outta my car.
Old 09-25-2002
Registered!!

ihaveacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont get shocked in mine i have a stick. but when i get out of my friends civic 98. auto i get shocked like a ****.
it also could be the weather i get shocked in his car only in the winter time.

they do have a spray for that.. you can spray it in your car.. but i dont like the smell of it.. also it can be the way your clothes are dry'd i air dry mine but if i have to throw them into the dryer it gets all staticy
Old 09-25-2002
Registered!!

Toad is an unknown quantity at this point
its actually the magnetic field in the air... if you notice it will happen more during certain times of the year
Old 09-25-2002
Registered!!

bickford is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i get shocked all the time too

2002 Ex Coupe Nighthawk
17' Racing Hart Cp-8
AEM cai
DC Sports TCS2
Old 09-25-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Shut the door using the actual door, not the frame around the window (the body colored panel, not the black frame). I used to get Zapped too, but I found that the painted part of the door isn't charged.
Old 09-25-2002
Registered!!

HarryDong is an unknown quantity at this point
I've actually tried to find places where i can touch it where it won't shock me (with no success).
I've tried doing the door handle shut and just on the door itself and then also on the rubber part
around the window. I dunno if it's this crappy midwest magnetic field or what. I may have to start
shutting the door with my hip or something.
Old 09-25-2002
Reppin' "Custom Concepts"

noname is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah< I would get shocked in the winter only, every f king day, I just started to close the door with my feet. kick it close
Old 09-25-2002
Registered!!

Mazer is an unknown quantity at this point
I just close the door with my palm...I've found that the shock on the palm isn't that bad. Also if I have a long sleeve shirt on I just shut the door with my wrist which is covered by the shirt.
Old 09-25-2002
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
very simple solution guys... when you slide out of your seat to get out of the car, you work up static. that's why you get shocked, especaily in the winter, with less humidity in the air. even if you don't think you're 'sliding' out of your seat, you are.

to PREVENT getting shocked, open the door and before you even move to get out of your seat, reach up and grab or rest your hand over the top of the black metal door/window frame. while your touching that metal, get out of your car. bingo, no shock. you won't look odd to others; people will just think you're sort of lifting yourself out of your car. eventually (in my case) you'll get used to it and start doing it naturally. I can't remember when the last time was I got shocked. just make sure you don't lift yourself out of your seat until you're touching the metal. it's not a problem with the car.. it's science. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-25-2002
Registered!!

xe2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I only get shocks during windy days, and it might be the shoes you're wearing too...I get shocks in certain shoes but not the other shoes like casual shoes and running shoes.
Old 09-25-2002
Registered!!

RunawaySoul is an unknown quantity at this point
I've shocked myself silly. It may render me impotent one day. I'm trying to cut down on my cussing and the shocking doesn't help me whatsoever.
Old 09-25-2002
Tomotor

xHoteKx has a spectacular aura aboutxHoteKx has a spectacular aura about
just have someone else get out of the car first and they shut the door before you do.. hehehe [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG]. but if no one else is in the car, i put my shirt over my hand and shut the door. i hate gettin shocked after i got shocked by a tv on my cheek.
Old 09-25-2002
Registered!!

Toca is an unknown quantity at this point
OMG!!!IT IS SOOOOO ANOYIING!!! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]

I found that if you tough the glass before you touch the metal you don't get shocked. But every now and then i get shocked it sooo anoying!! And when you spazzz out everyone thinks you're crazy!
Old 09-25-2002
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
Just read my post guys, I swear it'll solve all your problems. my friends have thanked me many times for tellin them the trick
Old 09-25-2002
Registered!!

SilverCivSedan is an unknown quantity at this point
All our hondas and my bro's 96 camry shocked the heck out of me until i switched shampoo, but that's kind of dumb. My dad's 2k2 ex Civic was the worst. my 2k1 lx is the second worst
Old 09-26-2002
Registered!!

O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
I got shoked so hard when I touched my trunk lid one time, I yelped out in pain.. no joking!!
Old 09-26-2002
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: Mex
very simple solution guys... when you slide out of your seat to get out of the car, you work up static. that's why you get shocked, especaily in the winter, with less humidity in the air. even if you don't think you're 'sliding' out of your seat, you are.

to PREVENT getting shocked, open the door and before you even move to get out of your seat, reach up and grab or rest your hand over the top of the black metal door/window frame. while your touching that metal, get out of your car. bingo, no shock. you won't look odd to others; people will just think you're sort of lifting yourself out of your car. eventually (in my case) you'll get used to it and start doing it naturally. I can't remember when the last time was I got shocked. just make sure you don't lift yourself out of your seat until you're touching the metal. it's not a problem with the car.. it's science. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][hr]
why you get shocked has something to do with dry air moving over the paint on your car...
it's not really caused by cloth seats...you can still get shocked even if you have cloth seats...

Old 09-27-2002
Registered!!

nytejade is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Toad
its actually the magnetic field in the air... if you notice it will happen more during certain times of the year[hr]

That's the stupidist thing I've ever heard. It's just because our interiors our cloth and very new. Too many positive ions that need to be sent out of your body. : ) (or is negative ions)

Anyway. Yes, this happens to me EVERY FREAKING TIME I get ouf the car. If it's dark I can actually see an arc. (that's a technical term right there for electricity traveling through air) : )

Just touch it with your sleeve or something or touch the ground first heheh.
Old 09-27-2002
Mex
Registered!!

well whatever causes it, simply touching the metal frame of the window while getting out of your seat will prevent the shock.
Old 09-27-2002
Registered!!

Litespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
It's because you're rubbing around in a cloth seat. Same as rubbing a balloon on your hair. It creates static electricity and when you get out and touch the door to cloths it you discharge the electricity and get shooked.
Old 10-08-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
Mex is correct, because he is grounding himself B4 he gets out of the car. Its just like wearing socks while you rub your feet against the carpeting in your house, and touch your dogs nose, SNAP!!!
Old 10-08-2002
2k1
Registered!!

2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes my car does shock but not to me it shocks all my friendz
Old 10-08-2002
Look what i did..

ExZaCc has a spectacular aura aboutExZaCc has a spectacular aura about
i got a 2k2 Ex stick and everytime i get out i get the shock treakment. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]i hate it.. anyone got any ideas on how to stop the shock theropy altogether..

ExZaCc
Old 10-14-2002
Registered!!

Element2k5 is an unknown quantity at this point
an unfortunate soul like myself doesnt have keyless entry so when i lock my doors with my key... i get zapped bad... and im forced to leg go of my keys... so WTF is there a way that i dont have to be shocked?!?!?!
Old 10-17-2002
Registered!!

quicksilver is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i get shocked all the damn time!
Old 10-18-2002
Mex
Registered!!

did you guys read the whole thread?

"very simple solution guys... when you slide out of your seat to get out of the car, you work up static. that's why you get shocked, especaily in the winter, with less humidity in the air. even if you don't think you're 'sliding' out of your seat, you are.

to PREVENT getting shocked, open the door and before you even move to get out of your seat, reach up and grab or rest your hand over the top of the black metal door/window frame. while your touching that metal, get out of your car. bingo, no shock. eventually (in my case) you'll get used to it and start doing it naturally. I can't remember when the last time was I got shocked. just make sure you don't lift yourself out of your seat until you're touching the metal. it's not a problem with the car.. it's science."
Old 10-18-2002
n00b

aetobatus is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Mex
did you guys read the whole thread?

"very simple solution guys... when you slide out of your seat to get out of the car, you work up static. that's why you get shocked, especaily in the winter, with less humidity in the air. even if you don't think you're 'sliding' out of your seat, you are.

to PREVENT getting shocked, open the door and before you even move to get out of your seat, reach up and grab or rest your hand over the top of the black metal door/window frame. while your touching that metal, get out of your car. bingo, no shock. eventually (in my case) you'll get used to it and start doing it naturally. I can't remember when the last time was I got shocked. just make sure you don't lift yourself out of your seat until you're touching the metal. it's not a problem with the car.. it's science."[hr]
I'll try that tomorrow...

I usually close my door by pushing the window instead of pushing the black frame. No shock.

but then again, i end up shocking something else after getting out of the car. ie. university library door, toilet door or whatever that transmit electric.. i shock my girlfriend too, sometimes.. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-19-2002
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
This happens to me all of the time...I thought my car was possesed or something, or I had to much power going in my stereo. I would have never made this post because I would have felt stooopid if no one reponded or everyone was like "that has never happened to me". Props to the guys who was brave enough to post this!

Quick Reply: Does your civic shock you when you get out???