Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2004 Civic catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark_r is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Civic catalytic converter

Hello,
I recently purchased a 04 Civic Ex with 164,000 miles. I got the CEL the other day, and found out that the catalytic converter has gone bad. My local shop quoted the replacement at $700. That's quite far out of the budget. I thought about straight piping the car, but the converter is part of the exhaust manifold. Anyone have a cheap solution, without much DIY?
Thanks
Old 04-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2004 Civic catalytic converter

pull a young one from a junkyard.
Old 04-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

An easy and cheap solution would be to cover the check engine light with a sticker lol...

Depending on where you live, the junkyard wont sell you a used cat. Call muffler shops around and try getting the best price. Or else you can convert to the EX exhaust where the cat is under the car, it is cheaper to replace these converters. Pick your poison
Old 04-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark_r
Hello,
I recently purchased a 04 Civic Ex

but the converter is part of the exhaust manifold.
No, an EX-VTEC has the cat under and behind the engine .

DX/LX (non-VTEC) have the cat integrated in the manifold.

Open your hood to verify this,
Old 04-20-2017
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

Why couldn't OP just get a $100 magnaflow standard cat to weld in?
Old 04-20-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 5.0Thunder
Why couldn't OP just get a $100 magnaflow standard cat to weld in?
Does OP have to pass emissions testing? What type of testing will be done?

How long would anyone expect a $100 cat to last?

The cheap cats usually can't keep the computer happy for very long.
Many fail before the warranty period is over, and even if within warranty most people would still have to pay to have it installed each time it needs replaced.

What's the COST of that cheap price?
Old 04-20-2017
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
Does OP have to pass emissions testing? What type of testing will be done?

How long would anyone expect a $100 cat to last?

The cheap cats usually can't keep the computer happy for very long.
Many fail before the warranty period is over, and even if within warranty most people would still have to pay to have it installed each time it needs replaced.

What's the COST of that cheap price?
I was under the impression the standard magnaflow cats were a higher quality piece that lasted. Can't say for sure though because i've never actually replaced a cat.
Old 04-20-2017

I'm guessing they have a price range for everyone, regardless of actual needs or the parts ability to do the job it was purchased for.

I saw a picture of a 'racing cat' posted in this forum a while back that looked like an empty shell, for about the same price.

You probably aren't going to get a California C.A.R.B. compliant cat for anywhere close to that price.
Old 04-21-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I'm guessing they have a price range for everyone, regardless of actual needs or the parts ability to do the job it was purchased for.

I saw a picture of a 'racing cat' posted in this forum a while back that looked like an empty shell, for about the same price.

You probably aren't going to get a California C.A.R.B. compliant cat for anywhere close to that price.
This is true, although magnaflow does sell C.A.R.B. cats as well, for roughly 3-4x the price. Sucks for californians lol
Old 10-24-2021
Registered!!

Lilman420 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey what if I no longer want the catalytic converter manifold on my 2004 honda civic lx anymore. Is there someway I can convert it to something similar to the vtec model. Or just slap a header on it with out the catalytic converter. I would much rather do it to were I could have the catalytic converter under the car. Just don't know witch way to go about it. I live in the US so no emissions test. I just don't want to mess up my engine without having a catalytic converter on it. Any suggestions?
Old 10-25-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lilman420
I live in the US so no emissions test.
Wrong.
It depends on state, county.
My state does not require, but the county i live in requires.
Old 10-25-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,848 Likes on 1,300 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...p-version.html
Old 11-01-2021

Originally Posted by Lilman420
Hey what if I no longer want the catalytic converter manifold on my 2004 honda civic lx anymore. Is there someway I can convert it to something similar to the vtec model. Or just slap a header on it with out the catalytic converter. I would much rather do it to were I could have the catalytic converter under the car. Just don't know witch way to go about it. I live in the US so no emissions test. I just don't want to mess up my engine without having a catalytic converter on it. Any suggestions?
I think swapping the oe header and cat from a 1.7 vtec engine would be simplest, probably just need a o2 sensor wiring harness adapter long enough to connect the stock rear o2 sensor in the (newly relocated) cat.