Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Crank but won'the start randomly

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steventmackay is an unknown quantity at this point
Crank but won'the start randomly

My son has a 2005 1.7 civic that sometimes cranks fine but won't fire. The funny thing is that when this happens the car will fire right up if push started. It will then be fine for a few days then it happens again. It has shut off a few times while driving when the clutch is pressed but always starts right up again. It has no stored codes. If anyone has come across this or has ideas I would be very happy to find the cure.....I'm getting tired of pushing. Thanks

Last edited by Steventmackay; 04-18-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crank but won'the start randomly

Hell IDK....
WHen it won't start, does the check engine light come on? It is supposed to come on for a bulb check-----and if it does not illuminate at all that's a good indication the PCM isn't getting powered up for some reason (main relay, and fuel pump relay can do the same intermittent failure and randomly not turn on the fuel pump)

Is the battery good and strong, fully charged?
Starter cranking speed is fast, and not slow or dragging?

check grounds?
battery/body/trans,
and radiator area to upper neck on front of engine (above thermostat), the braided cable
and the smaller pair of wires (on an eyelet right next to the braided cable) that provide grounding for the PCM and most of the engine systems.......

all need to be clean and shiny metal contact no corrosion, and tight?

Otherwise, you might try figuring out if it is missing spark or fuel when it won't start
Old 04-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steventmackay
The funny thing is that when this happens the car will fire right up if push started.
if thats the case make sure your starter is actually turning the engine and not just making noise
Old 04-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steventmackay is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies guys, the problem is spark related, my son is working as an apprentice mechanic (although the shop isn't much help) and with a scanner he was able to see that there was no spark one time that it wouldn't start. Unfortunately the problem never stays long enough to trace. the battery is good and it always cranks fast. if he has no one to push he cranks...waits....cranks...waits until it goes, when it does go it fires right up. The check engine light does come on while cranking, the fuel pump can be heard and the starter is turning the motor. I'm going to get a wiring diagram and follow what I can as well as re-terminate all grounds.....I'll give an update, Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

problem is spark related,
Check CKP sensor terminals for evidence that liquid has entered and begun corrosion, and check for evidence of corrosion in the female terminal(s) of the harness connector.

Check female terminal tension (pin drag test), make sure they haven't become loose or broken

(although the shop isn't much help)
apprentice shop?
Old 04-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Is this a case of bad electrical contacts within the ignition switch? I don't recall the 2005s being one of the affected years for the ignition switch issues.

Also it wouldn't be an immobilizer issue too since I thought that the fuel is cut off and not the spark?
Old 04-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steventmackay
the problem is spark related
but obviously the spark is fine when you push the car

the car will fire right up if push started