Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Temp Guage Not Moving

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TexRodeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Temp Guage Not Moving

I have read all over the internet to no avail and there is not an exact scenario that is like this with a 7th Gen Civic.

OK, So here Goes, When I recently purchased "Sian", My '03 Civic EX Sedan. I first noticed with the cooling system that there didn't seem to be any color to my coolant, so I would assume that the Radiator and the coolant bottle would both be full of mostly water, that's one thing that I know I should address soon with the heat of another Hot and Humid North Carolina Summer coming fast.

Again, I have no Service Engine Light Illuminated or Any other warning lights of any kind so I am kind of doubting the ECT Sensor is at fault as it never tripped a light, But again, Auto-Mechanic I'm Not. So my question is would there be something other than the afore mentioned cooling system needing to be flushed that would cause this gauge not to move at all?

I have heard the electric fans come on, right on cue...So I doubt very seriously that there is an issue with the cooling system so much.

But this inoperable gauge does seem like yet another on a short list of fiddly little or minor repairs that need doing that I have run into thus far.

Any Ideas I should check?

Larry
Old 04-18-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Temp Guage Not Moving

Originally Posted by TexRodeo
I would assume that the Radiator and the coolant bottle would both be full of mostly water, that's one thing that I know I should address soon with the heat of another Hot and Humid North Carolina Summer coming fast.
Stick a (hi-temp) thermometer in the radiator or use an infrared heat gun (extrenally) while engine is at operating to to make sure coolant system temperature is within spec.

Drain and fill coolant, then bleed air out of coolant system with front of car on jack-stands as high as possible. Put climate control on max heat, fan off. Rev engine intermittently a few times during air-bleed process tohelp expell bubbles (air). Use either Hondo (blue dye) coolant or Pentosin PentoFrost A3 (blue dye) coolant.

Again, I have no Service Engine Light Illuminated or Any other warning lights of any kind so I am kind of doubting the ECT Sensor is at fault as it never tripped a light
This issue may or may not throw a CEL light (code). Bring it to Autozone or other parts store and ask them to an OBD2 scan on it to rule out unseen codes. If a code is found write it down and post here.

So my question is would there be something other than the afore mentioned cooling system needing to be flushed that would cause this gauge not to move at all?
Yes. A fautly ECT temp gauge (cylinder head), break in wiring from ECT to ECU, a faulty temp gauge (cluster), and possibly more.

I have heard the electric fans come on, right on cue.
That is good.

But this inoperable gauge does seem like yet another on a short list of fiddly little or minor repairs that need doing that I have run into thus far.
Just imagine how many issues a 14 year old American or European car would have?
Old 04-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Temp Guage Not Moving

CEL, does it work at all? It should come on when you first turn the ignition on as a bulb check. Some people disconnect the light, break or remove the bulb, wire the light to something else so you can't tell it's got a problem......

Code reader, read fault codes.
Better scanner, read live engine data to see what the ECT value is as seen by the PCM.

IF the PCM shows a good ECT value (170-210*F when warmed up) but the gauge does not work.... do a gauge cluster self diagnostic test and see that all 4 gauges make full sweeps during the test.

tl;dr
See if the PCM data shows good temperature.
Make sure the gauge needle works