Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Power Window Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TexRodeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Power Window Question

Hello Fellow Civic Owners,

I have a question with my one power window on the Right Rear Side of my '03 Civic-EX Sedan.

I have checked Fuse 25 in the interior Fuse panel thus far and it seems to be good.

I have dealt with power window issues before on my previous vehicle which was a '93 Infiniti J30 Sedan. The Drivers Window Regulator went Out when the Cable Snapped when I was rolling up the window in Summer of 2015 and then And that Fall The passenger Side Front Window Motor went Out. But when that went out I was still able to move the glass up and down by hand but this one will not move on my Honda.

I Guess My question is should I be looking into a Power Window Motor or is there another train of thought here?

Thanks,

Larry
Old 04-09-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Power Window Question

Look for SLIGHT dimmimg/flicker of dome when attempting engine off.

Broken wires in the flexing portion of door harnesses is common.
Old 04-09-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TexRodeo
Hello Fellow Civic Owners,

I have a question with my one power window on the Right Rear Side of my '03 Civic-EX Sedan.

I have checked Fuse 25 in the interior Fuse panel thus far and it seems to be good.

I have dealt with power window issues before on my previous vehicle which was a '93 Infiniti J30 Sedan. The Drivers Window Regulator went Out when the Cable Snapped when I was rolling up the window in Summer of 2015 and then And that Fall The passenger Side Front Window Motor went Out. But when that went out I was still able to move the glass up and down by hand but this one will not move on my Honda.

I Guess My question is should I be looking into a Power Window Motor or is there another train of thought here?

Thanks,

Larry
You need to take off the door panel and with key on & a test light see If You have power

to the window switch and to the window motor if You do.? and You can see the

window cable regulator intact through the inside door then You need a power window motor

do it yourself. & save hundreds of $$ its not hard..! i changed my window regulator and motor out

on wifes vehicle in less than 2 hours taking my time. (posted Video for You) Good Luck...

Old 04-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Broken wires are probably more common than actual motor/regulator problems, but that's more likely to happen on the most often used rear door
(left (drivers) door for people without kids, right or both for people with kids)

A methodical diagnostic process should take place to determine fault before throwing parts at it.

As craig asked, (key ON engine OFF) does the dome light dim slightly when attempting to operate the window switch in both directions?
(if yes then suspect electric motor stuck from infrequent usage)
(if no then more diag needed)

You can peel the door panel off and use jumper wires and a battery (or charger) to confirm the motor and regulator are good.
You can swap rear window switches to confirm a switch.

You can use DVOM and a wiring diagram to actually test most other things.
Old 04-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TexRodeo is an unknown quantity at this point

I ended up removing that door card and ran the wire from the battery to the Right Rear Door. I then unplugged the two prong window motor connector and ran the two direct lines from the battery directly to the window motor and it sprung to life, up and down the window went. I was just about to take the switch from the Left rear door and I was like No....Let's just plug this all back up and plug the right switch from the door card into the connector, It starts to work that way, so I then checked the Right Rear switch in the Master Switch and it also works, So the only thing that I can think was that somehow or another there must have been a loose or intermitted connection at the two prong motor connector.

So Now, If the Two Power Door locks on the Left side of the car would be so easy, I then would have many of the fiddley things about knocked out and then, hey, best of all my Keyless entry would operate correctly.

Thanks Again Guys!!!

Larry