Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Speedometer not working :(

Old 04-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
frederickhsu is an unknown quantity at this point
Speedometer not working :(

Anyone please help! I tried everything, the sweep test, cleaning the VSS, Fuse,. Not sure what else to do to fix just bought the car too. RPM, fuel, temp, gauges all work. Only MPH doesn't, it tries to but about 50% of the time it doesn't.

http://ibb.co/kQHivk
Old 04-08-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Speedometer not working :(

I tried everything,
Got fault codes? Got scanner data that shows a working and good VSS value (speed) but speedometer does not match it?

the sweep test
Did speedo needle work then?
No? Replace cluster or send it out for repairs.
Old 04-08-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Got fault codes? Got scanner data that shows a working and good VSS value (speed) but speedometer does not match it?
No fault codes

Did speedo needle work then?
No? Replace cluster or send it out for repairs.
it works half the time ..
Old 04-08-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frederickhsu
it works half the time ..
Drive it half the time !!!
Old 04-08-2017
Registered!!

Drive it half the time !!!
lmfao. Should've thought of that. Idk why but it usually works after the car bakes in the Arizona sun lol
Old 04-08-2017

Go back to post #2 and see if you can answer those questions. Here's why:
The speedo, tach, and temp gauges operate using data straight from the PCM through a communication network.

If there are VSS related issues found in the PCM (codes and live operating data), start there.

If the PCM shows no codes related to VSS, and if PCM live operating datalist reflects true vehicle speed while the speedo quits working, the problem is in the gauges (probably a bad stepper motor)
Old 04-08-2017
Registered!!

Go back to post #2 and see if you can answer those questions. Here's why:
The speedo, tach, and temp gauges operate using data straight from the PCM through a communication network.

If there are VSS related issues found in the PCM (codes and live operating data), start there.

If the PCM shows no codes related to VSS, and if PCM live operating datalist reflects true vehicle speed while the speedo quits working, the problem is in the gauges (probably a bad stepper motor)
im not good with electronics, how would I pull the codes from? I have a OBD2 with USB but is there a program I could use? You think I can replace a stepper motor ?
Old 04-08-2017

I have a OBD2 with USB
Did it come with instructions?

im not good with electronics,
You think I can replace a stepper motor ?
Those two lines would seem to be mutually exclusive.

You would probably replace the whole cluster as a unit or send it to a speedometer shop for repair (if that's even a possibility)
Old 04-08-2017
Registered!!

Did it come with instructions?

Those two lines would seem to be mutually exclusive.

You would probably replace the whole cluster as a unit or send it to a speedometer shop for repair (if that's even a possibility)
the OBD2 to USB was from my motorcycle. Lol. Yea I see what you mean. I'll look into it more. I definitely appreciate the help

Search this Thread