Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil leak top of engine left side

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Vyhnalek is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil leak top of engine left side

Took my failing starter off to find oil had been leaking directly onto it. This looks like the source of the leak. I'm gonna replace the valve cover because that's my best idea. Please help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0199.JPG
Views:	589
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	89666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.JPG
Views:	2107
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	89667  
Old 04-03-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Oil leak top of engine left side

I would clean around the black plug..... then check it later.

It looks as if there is oil around the bottom area of that plug.
Old 04-03-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Agree with CraigW, that plug is a very common leak area, buy a new one and reseal it
Old 04-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

When you replace it, look for an aluminum plug those will last longer than a replacement exactly the same.

I replaced one of these on my wife's crv and it began to leak a few months after. The plastic plug broke down and was leaking from a crack right thru the middle of it. This time I looked for an aluminum plug online and replaced it with that, its been leak free ever since
Old 04-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The plastic plug broke down and was leaking from a crack right thru the middle of it.
That's weird, someone may have been a little careless and broken it during install or service?
The rubber O ring will usually last 100k or so like the rest of the rubber seals.
Old 04-03-2017
Registered!!

GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

The plastic plug was brittle and broke easily when i was inspecting it, so I chose a metal plug with o rings to be done with it
Old 04-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GusBuz
The plastic plug was brittle and broke easily when i was inspecting it, so I chose a metal plug with o rings to be done with it
Oh ya, the plastic does get brittle with age (thermal cycles), upon removal at least one of the barbs almost always snaps off.
But once that sucker is installed it's not intended to come back out, until it needs replaced.

I like these better than the large round rubber coated plug in my old Mazda truck engine that oozes oil.
Old 04-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hondoyota is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GusBuz
When you replace it, look for an aluminum plug those will last longer than a replacement exactly the same.

I replaced one of these on my wife's crv and it began to leak a few months after. The plastic plug broke down and was leaking from a crack right thru the middle of it. This time I looked for an aluminum plug online and replaced it with that, its been leak free ever since
​​​​​​Have a link to where you got yours? Have a part # or name? Let us know if the aluminum replacement is common enough to find at a typical AutoZone type store.
Old 04-18-2017
Registered!!

I found it on Ebay, just type in civic cam plug and you should see many there. I personally got one with three rubber o-rings on it so there is less of a chance of leaks.