Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 Honda Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jimbochamp is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Honda Civic LX

FIX or REPLACE ???
transmission and front wheel bearings

Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum.

I have a 2003 Honda Civic and I'm wondering if it's worth fixing. I bought it new and cared for it properly over the last 14 years thru the dealer. It currently has 231,000 miles on it and still makes me feel I'll get the full 320k out of it I thought I would when I bought it. I should mention it's been hit three or four times so the roof and all four doors need to be repainted the original Nighhawk black.

Recently I've been told I need front wheel bearings on both sides and a rebuilt transmission. The dealer quoted me $2500 for the Trans and $1000 for the wheel bearings. $3500 total is a little steep so I'm reaching to find out if anyone is actually getting 320k miles out of this version of Civic.

Should I fix it or upgrade to a newer vehicle is the dilemma I am faced with now and I need to decide soon cause I can't keep driving it like it is.

Thank you for your opinion!
Old 03-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2003 Honda Civic LX

I wouldn't put $3500 into it.

Get a second opinion on the repairs. I think both quotes are high.

Member ezone can provide a better estimate for wheel bearing replacement but wait until you decide on the rebuilding the transmission or not first.

If the bearings were $500 and the rebuild of the trans was $2K (or drop in a used trans for $1K but risky) I would still have a hard time justifying sinking the $ into this vehicle.

Look at it this way, you got your $s worth so far on it. Maybe time to retire it and get something newer and safer?
Old 03-23-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

What's wrong with the transmission?

You have a lot of miles on there, you could always get a transmission from a wrecking yard, try to get one out of a wrecked car as opposed to one that was brought in because of old age. car-part.com can help you find yards near you.

Can you do your own work? It isn't too hard to pop off the spindles and press in new bearings. Or bring in the spindles and have someone press in new bearings for you.

You could also get spindles out of the wrecking yard that have good bearings.
Old 03-23-2017
Registered!!

Thank you for your very knowledgeable advice !!!

the independent mechanic that looked at it this morning quoted me $400 for the wheel bearings ($196 each) and said he could take the Trans apart and fix just what needs fixing for $800 Labor plus parts. Bringing the total outta pocket down to $1200 plus Trans parts which could go as high as the price of a used Trans which i think is around $1000. So $2000 as opposed to the dealers $3500 seems much more manageable but I am still hesitant to dump $2k into a 14 year old vehicle with 231,000 on it that needs more care like Paint, the roof has begun to peel off.
Old 03-23-2017
Registered!!

The transmission makes a sputtering type sound while in first gear that must be directly related to the torque required to get the car moving from a dead stop because the sound goes away when the car begins to move more freely.
Old 03-26-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jimbochamp
The transmission makes a sputtering type sound while in first gear that must be directly related to the torque required to get the car moving from a dead stop because the sound goes away when the car begins to move more freely.
Can get pulled used front hub assemblies for about $30-50 each from a local salvage yards or check this site: http://www.car-part.com/
Should be able to find a mechanic to install both for around $100-$150 if, you don't install yourself.

Is the transmission slipping? hard shifts? Have you tried doing an ATF drain and fill first before jumping to replacement or internal repair?
Old 03-26-2017
Registered!!

Thank you again for all the great advice !!!

i got the cost of repair down to:

$ 392 - Front Wheel Bearings ($196 each side)
$1400 - Used Trans w/ only 16k miles on it ($800 Labor / $600 used Trans)

i'm still worried about putting this much money into it because it needs paint, the starter is making an occasion noise when i leave pressure on the key for a second too long and i heard rumor of it needing a Head Gasket soon if it hasn't already been done.

i've kept it in its most reliable state for the past 14 years. a couple of years back i put some money into the front end suspension and the air conditioning. and i did all the regular maintenance required at the different intervals.

thank you!