Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil Pan Gasket Replacement Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil Pan Gasket Replacement Assistance

I have a 2005 Civic LX. I am needing to replace an oil pan gasket. Can anyone provide me instructions on how to do this or direct me to a video?

Also, I had an estimate given to me to do this repair. On the repair, it listed a line item of an exhaust gasket from NAPA,
Part: EXH 31614
Product Line: NAPA Exhaust

Can someone please explain to me how this item goes with an oil pan gasket replacement? Where does it go? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement Assistance

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-updated.html

Start at the last page for the newest links

Exhaust pipe is directly under the oil pan and has to be removed to do the work. Thus, fresh gaskets in the estimate.
Old 03-16-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-updated.html

Start at the last page for the newest links

Exhaust pipe is directly under the oil pan and has to be removed to do the work. Thus, fresh gaskets in the estimate.
Thanks for the response. I am not having luck getting any of the links to open and work. Can you provide me with the direct link for my specific year? Thanks!
Old 03-16-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The newest post in the thread has a link, says EM2 service manual

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4720537
Old 03-17-2017
Registered!!

The newest post in the thread has a link, says EM2 service manual

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4720537
Thanks. I was able to get it to work. The manual shows that it is for a 03-04 Hatchback. Is this the same for my 05 LX 4 door?

No where in the manual does it show the removal of the exhaust pipe. You mentioned that it is necessary to remove the pan. I believe your diagnosis but just checking.

Is it needed to use an oil pan removal tool release the pan or does this tool just make it "easier" where as you can use some other "common" tool to do the job as well?

Also, the manual shows applying liquid gasket all around the block. I have read somewhere that liquid gasket is only needed on the corners. Which is it? I have also read about applying some sort of adhesive to hold the gasket secure while reinstalling the pan to the block or visa versa. Is this needed to do or will the liquid gasket hold the gasket steady enough?

Thanks for all of your help.
Old 03-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Go back to the thread about the shop manual, and click on the link that I provided. (its the third from last) This one will have your engine and should show you how to remove and install the oil pan.
Old 03-17-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GusBuz
Go back to the thread about the shop manual, and click on the link that I provided. (its the third from last) This one will have your engine and should show you how to remove and install the oil pan.
I'm sorry but I am not sure which thread that you are referring to. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-19-2017
Registered!!

OneJzSupra is an unknown quantity at this point

It's an easy job mate... I would try using YouTube first of all if you are having trouble. EMPTY OUT THE OIL FIRST! The only thing to remember is that when you start dropping your oil pan make sure you have your gasket on hand as well as RTV black. You'll need to look at the few items hold the pan in place and make sure you get the transmission access hatch out of the way. Once you've dropped it down pull everything off (Gasket) and clean both seating surfaces... (Oil Pan and Engine) Apply some RTV and then the gasket and tighten everything down. You want to do almost like a star pattern to evenly tighten everything down.
Old 03-19-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykenny
I have a 2005 Civic LX. I am needing to replace an oil pan gasket. Can anyone provide me instructions on how to do this or direct me to a video?

Also, I had an estimate given to me to do this repair. On the repair, it listed a line item of an exhaust gasket from NAPA,
Part: EXH 31614
Product Line: NAPA Exhaust

Can someone please explain to me how this item goes with an oil pan gasket replacement? Where does it go? Thanks.
The gasket is because you have to remove part of your exhaust in order to drop the pan.
Old 04-01-2017
Registered!!

Following is a picture from below showing the oil pan and the exhaust pipe that needs to be removed. One further explanation that I have yet to see listed on any postings, video or mentioned is how do you remove the bolts holding the oil pan on the passenger side of the pan. This area is covered by part of the transmission. Is there parts of it that can be removed to gain access?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Pan.jpg
Views:	3153
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	89657  
Old 04-01-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykenny
Following is a picture from below showing the oil pan and the exhaust pipe that needs to be removed. One further explanation that I have yet to see listed on any postings, video or mentioned is how do you remove the bolts holding the oil pan on the passenger side of the pan. This area is covered by part of the transmission. I
s there parts of it that can be removed to gain access?
The answer is yes, that is the view port.
Old 04-01-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by OneJzSupra
The answer is yes, that is the view port.
Thanks for the correct term. Sorry but due to not ever doing this job before, I am not sure which and how many of the bolts need to be removed on the view port. As mentioned, there is no mention of this needing to be removed on any videos or postings.
Old 04-02-2017
Registered!!

Real quick where are you seeing oil? As in lets be sure you need to even pull that gasket. Have you checked above it along the block to see if oil is coming from a high source? Do you happen to have oil coming from the front or rear main seals? How about near the oil filter area? That PCV is located in that area.

If I remember correctly there are a number of oil pan bolts that you won't be able to gain access to unless you pull that bracket. If you can manage to get to the bolts you may be able to pull that pan off without removing the cover plate/support bracket. I did this about 6 months ago and from what I recall I went ahead and just pulled it to be sure and to make sure I could get everything aligned without any issue. Take a look at this link:

http://s137.photobucket.com/user/cp_..._4255.jpg.html

I know I know it's a D18 but what I'm pointing out is the black cover plate, that is what you have to look for. Also once you get it open and get everything cleaned out, be sure to do a visual inspection of the rotating assembly and make sure the oil strainer pick up doesn't show any signs of clogging.
Old 04-02-2017

Short version: Remove everything that's in the way of the oil pan and all of its fasteners.

Gotta get that big ol "U" shaped chunk of aluminum off. It's bolted to both the transmission and the engine. Start with removing the smaller brackets that support the shifter cable and work your way up to the large bracket in question.

This may be covered in the service manual under transmission removal instead of oil pan removal. Don't remove the entire transmission though, only the parts in the way of getting todays job done.

Why are you pulling the pan? It looks pretty clean in the picture, from what I can see.
Old 04-02-2017
Registered!!

Short version: Remove everything that's in the way of the oil pan and all of its fasteners.

Gotta get that big ol "U" shaped chunk of aluminum off. It's bolted to both the transmission and the engine. Start with removing the smaller brackets that support the shifter cable and work your way up to the large bracket in question.

This may be covered in the service manual under transmission removal instead of oil pan removal. Don't remove the entire transmission though, only the parts in the way of getting todays job done.

Why are you pulling the pan? It looks pretty clean in the picture, from what I can see.
The pan is leaking to the top right of the picture(just out of view). It is leaking to the top right where the pan starts to turn. I took it to a shop and my diagnosis was confirmed. The leak is not extremely bad right now but just gets a bit worse as the months go by. I cleaned the leaking oil off of the pan before the picture was taken.

It seems strange to me that there are videos on, it seems, almost every car repair but not an oil pan gasket replacement....
Old 04-02-2017

You realize every time the oil filter is replaced, a bunch of oil runs all over the back of the engine block, that corner, and down the support bracket below the filter, and to the bottom of the transmission? The ledges below the oil filter can retain quite a bit of oil and cause dribbles for quite a while after the oil and filter change.

Just trying to be sure it's really a gasket issue, you aren't chasing a mess left over from someone changing oil and not cleaning up the leftovers.

Carry on!
Old 04-02-2017
Registered!!

You realize every time the oil filter is replaced, a bunch of oil runs all over the back of the engine block, that corner, and down the support bracket below the filter, and to the bottom of the transmission? The ledges below the oil filter can retain quite a bit of oil and cause dribbles for quite a while after the oil and filter change.

Just trying to be sure it's really a gasket issue, you aren't chasing a mess left over from someone changing oil and not cleaning up the leftovers.

Carry on!

I appreciate the advice. I change the oil myself and am very meticulous about cleaning up the oil residue. It has been about 3 months since the oil change and I am still getting some drips.
Old 04-03-2017
Registered!!

Carry on!
Yeah I was thinking the same thing when I was looking, the oil pan looks pretty clean to me as well.

OP can you post up a photo of said area?