Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kristoliquid is an unknown quantity at this point
timing belt

So this spring im gonna try and change my wifes timing belt on her civic 2005 si canada version.

I know ill be there but, do I really need to change the water pump? I heard that a water pump is suppose to last until the car goes to the scrap yard. When ill flush the coolant also, ill probably put some water pump lube and cleaner. Will that be ok?

Any pointers before I start buying the equipment needed. I think I already have the tools needed to change the belt. I accept any advice.

I bought a timing belt book that shows all models and car and etc.

I also heard that piston number one needs to be full up. A trick is to put your finger in the hole and turn it manually until the first piston is up.

Anyways. If you got ideas or good advice im all eyes O_O

The car is at 180k km.

Last edited by Kristoliquid; 03-16-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: timing belt

For how cheap the pump is and it's going to be staring you in the face when you do the timing belt I would just do it. Use oem parts and oem coolant.

Crank pulley has tdc marks on it. Pull the spark plugs and crank the engine with a breaker bar to get tdc. Make sure you crank the right way
Old 03-16-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-updated.html

Last pages have the most recent links
Old 03-16-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I agree with replace water pump, its right there. Tensioner also, inspection is recommended but it's a cheap enough part to just replace. If it fails it's expensive to fix (I know first hand). Also I bought the pulley tool and it made the job easier. Do you have a large breaker bar (mine was a 6ft pipe)? Impact rated sockets and extensions? Have you read the DIY articles on the forum?
Old 03-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

Why are you even thinking about it? Be smart.
Find a good YT video, read the manual and study it.
Old 03-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i have an 05 and took my water pump off at around 240,000km during a timing belt change, i put it on a bench beside a new one i had purchased,

the thing looked and spun just like the brand new one, was hard t even tell the difference,

i ended up changing it just because i had it, but looking back now it probably was not nessessary,

these pumps are built very well, in my opinion,