Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

04 Civic EX Temperature Problems :(

Old 03-14-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AJKing20 is an unknown quantity at this point
04 Civic EX Temperature Problems :(

Hey all

This is my first post on this website so hopefully I am posting in the correct spot ! I'm having problems with my 04 Civic overheating on me, I live in Canada and it had been really cold lately but for some reason my cars temp gauge still climbs way over where it's supposed to be so hopefully you guys can help me find the problem. It only has 161 000 on it but it seems to be leaking anti freeze it doesn't leak a lot only enough that I have to top it up with about a cup a day. we've already replaced the temp gauge in it and are still having the same problems also we've drained it and recharged it and pressure tested it multiple times and it always checks out. It doesn't even leak enough for there to be a puddle under my car when it's sitting in my drive way. Any Idea what it could be and how I could fix it ? All help is greatly appreciated !

Thanks !
Old 03-14-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 04 Civic EX Temperature Problems :(

The info is all here..... this IS the site.
Old 03-14-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic4me is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AJKing20
Hey all

This is my first post on this website so hopefully I am posting in the correct spot ! I'm having problems with my 04 Civic overheating on me, I live in Canada and it had been really cold lately but for some reason my cars temp gauge still climbs way over where it's supposed to be so hopefully you guys can help me find the problem. It only has 161 000 on it but it seems to be leaking anti freeze it doesn't leak a lot only enough that I have to top it up with about a cup a day. we've already replaced the temp gauge in it and are still having the same problems also we've drained it and recharged it and pressure tested it multiple times and it always checks out. It doesn't even leak enough for there to be a puddle under my car when it's sitting in my drive way. Any Idea what it could be and how I could fix it ? All help is greatly appreciated !

Thanks !
Considering the age of your civic, most likey its overheating because of blown head gasket. Replacing head gasket is somewhat complicated, but can be done at home. If you continue to drive with overheating engine, you will need to fix more things besides HG.
Old 03-14-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Civic4me
Considering the age of your civic, most likey its overheating because of blown head gasket. Replacing head gasket is somewhat complicated, but can be done at home. If you continue to drive with overheating engine, you will need to fix more things besides HG.
Do a Block Test on it to confirm.
Also do a power balance test (cylinder misfire).
Do a dry and wet compression test to rule out compression loss through clylinder rings. You don't want to waste money replacing the head gasket just to find out afterwards there's compression loss through a stuck or damaged compression ring.
Old 03-14-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Furthermore, try and hunt down a leak. Look for signs of coolant outside the coolant system (chalky deposits likely, obvious signs of wetness). I had rising engine temp issues, but it was due to a loss of coolant at my water passage gasket. Fixed that (took at half hour to swap out) and haven't had issues since. No signs of leakage, follow up with engine testing like turd_ferguson mentioned.

Search this Thread