Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

The D17A2 Head Gasket Issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017
Huckin' Hippie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
redrocket87 is an unknown quantity at this point
The D17A2 Head Gasket Issue.

I'm on my 2nd 7th Gen Civic, First one (03 DX) was written off and I liked the car so when I went to look for a replacement I bought another 7th Gen so I could use the old one for parts. The replacement is a SI-G Coupe with a SOHC V-Tec, the D17A2 block. I unfortunately now know about the very common H/G problem and from what I can see in the Forums it's a reoccurring issue with these motors, even after you go through the trouble of properly repairing it there's no guarantee that it won't just happen again. Long story short, is there a more reliable replacement for the D17A2 that can be swapped in? I just figure that by the time I do the H/G, I might as well do the Timing Belt, Water Pump, Pulley, A/C and Alternator Belts. Or just buy a more reliable Replacement. Has anyone else made this decision?
Old 03-12-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: The D17A2 Head Gasket Issue.

...If you do it right it should las another life cycle 170,000km 105,000 miles.

Usually second failure right after the OEM one goes is caused by people either ignoring why it overheated, or failing to deck the head (or block if needed).

Generally Your vehicle will overheat and lead to a warped head, or, the gasket will fail and lead to overheating and then warp the head.

Failure can occur for multiple reasons (mine was a faulty fan switch).

-fan switch
-thermostat
-fan relay
-coolant loss due to water pump/other leak

(in all honesty I'm not sure if the head gaskets just fail on their own).

But once over heating has occur due to the gasket or another issue, you should check the head and block for warping and after the head gasket job make sure all coolant flow items are working as they should.
Old 03-12-2017
Huckin' Hippie

I've had other cars that have had head gaskets fail, 2 3.8L V6 Pontiac Grand Prix GT's. Both around 200,000k and a 96 4.3L Vortex GMC Safari unfortunately too late to fix. The Head Gasket repair sounds pricey and like I said I might as well do it all or nothing while I'm at it.
Old 03-12-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

OEM head gasket is best IMO.

I've never had to do the job twice through any fault of the head gasket itself.
Old 03-16-2017
Huckin' Hippie

I took the car in to a Honda Dealership ( Stealership?) and yes it's the Head Gasket according to them. Estimate $1028.30! Also found - both lower Ball Joints $416.70, Oil Pan Gasket - $268.70, Spark Plugs - $98.48, Oil Seperator Plate - $134.66, F/R brake Service - $154.00, Power Steering Flush - $104.95 So $2205.79... Not F likely, Paid $3500. for the car. Looks like I'll be shopping around to do the H/G. Still need to do the Timing Belt as well.
Old 03-16-2017
Huckin' Hippie

What and where is the Oil Seperator Plate located?
Old 03-16-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redrocket87
I took the car in to a Honda Dealership ( Stealership?) and yes it's the Head Gasket according to them. Estimate $1028.30! Also found - both lower Ball Joints $416.70, Oil Pan Gasket - $268.70, Spark Plugs - $98.48, Oil Seperator Plate - $134.66, F/R brake Service - $154.00, Power Steering Flush - $104.95 So $2205.79... Not F likely, Paid $3500. for the car. Looks like I'll be shopping around to do the H/G. Still need to do the Timing Belt as well.
What you paid for the car is irrelevant when it comes to the cost of fixing them, unless you think you are gonna be able to pick up a creampuff with zero problems for less money.

Nobody said you have to do everything they suggested either. You can stick to the original job it needed.

1028 is cheap for a head gasket job by people who should do a good job.. (you probably wouldn't believe how badly butchered some of these cars get when Mr. Goodpliers jumps in and hacks **** up, it can cost more than the car is worth just to correct the damage caused by a hack mechanic.)

Toss in the timing belt during the job for parts cost plus some minimal additional labor, since it has to be partly accessed to do the head gasket work already. (No it should not be free, but you should not be charged full labor for a timing belt job either.)
Did that include a water pump and a timing belt tensioner pulley?

IDK what they are calling an "oil separator plate", ask the dealer to show you whatever they saw. Take pics so the rest of us can see it too LOL

DIY plugs if you want.
Pan gasket is it really a problem?....it probably needs more than that for leaks LOL (surely you would have known if it was leaving puddles in your parking spot?)
EDIT: D17A2 does not have an oil pan gasket...it's sealed using RTV....Do they want to pull the pan off for some other reason?

Ball joints, brakes, etc. How bad?
Old 03-16-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by redrocket87
I took the car in to a Honda Dealership and yes it's the Head Gasket according to them. Estimate $1028.30! Also found - both lower Ball Joints $416.70, Oil Pan Gasket - $268.70, Spark Plugs - $98.48, Oil Seperator Plate - $134.66, F/R brake Service - $154.00, Power Steering Flush - $104.95 So $2205.79... Not F likely, Paid $3500. for the car. Looks like I'll be shopping around to do the H/G. Still need to do the Timing Belt as well.
$1k for the head gasket done at the dealership with oem parts is a pretty good deal. To add in the cost of doing the timing belt wouldn't be that much more on top of that. (you do know what happens if that belt lets go right?)

The spark plugs you can do yourself (a 5 year old can do the spark plugs in these engines) just make sure you buy the correct plugs and torque them properly.

Balljoints you can also do yourself. Most auto parts stores let you rent the tool for free just put down a deposit. Make sure you get the Honda sleeves for the tool.

Oil pan gasket and brake service are also fairly simple to do. There should be a few threads here to walk you through it. Or even YouTube videos.
Old 03-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

I would like to know what they are calling a Oil Separator Plate. Which side of the engine are you leaking oil?

7th gen civic COVER, BREATHER
http://torontohondaparts.com/PartsLi...ine&illid=6062

oil separator on an 8th gen civic
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...Number=2127779

Last edited by nsrhonda89; 03-17-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2017

OH the PCV breather cover thingy? I don't think I've ever had one off of a D17xx for any reason LOL.

Do they want to replace it or just reseal it?

I know on the R18 engine there are two covers that sometimes leak at least once in their lives (chain tensioner access cover and the oil separator plate on the back of the engine), when they do leak they get resealed.
Old 04-07-2017
Huckin' Hippie

It was on the backside of the block, when I had the Head Gasket done It was replaced. It was rotting out and leaking. The shop did the H/G, Exhaust Gasket, Timing Belt, Water Pump, both accessory belts, the Coolant Pipe, Oil Separator, Plugs, Fluids, it came out to $1,804. and change.
Old 04-08-2017

So they replaced the coolant pipe that runs across the back of the block, not the oil separator cover for the PCV system?