Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 Civic ex cranks but won't start after engine warms up

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dimartin is an unknown quantity at this point
02 Civic ex cranks but won't start after engine warms up

This problem started about a week and a half ago. The car starts fine, maybe one or two cranks when the engine is cool (first thing in the morning or a few hours after running). After the engine warms up though, when I try to start it again after shutting it off (running to the grocery store, etc), it cranks and cranks but will not start. I've had to wait up to an hour for it to start again. I took it into a shop, they don't know what's wrong with it, also there is no engine light.

They said I'd have to take it into a dealer to figure out what's wrong with it, I don't have the money to do that at the moment, plus it runs perfectly other than this problem.

Any ideas?
Old 03-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 02 Civic ex cranks but won't start after engine warms up

While it doesn't start: You need to determine if it is missing spark, or if it is not getting the correct amount of fuel.
Old 03-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Main fuel pump relay going bad is common. It's behind the glove box. Could solder or buy new.
Old 03-10-2017
Registered!!

Thank you both! I found ways to check the spark and fuel pump system online, I'll check out the main relay later on this afternoon.
Old 03-15-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
Main fuel pump relay going bad is common. It's behind the glove box. Could solder or buy new.
I can't find instructions on how to solder the main fuel pump relay, but I can find instructions on how to solder the main relay.
Old 03-15-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

01-05 uses the small relays, replace if faulty.

Earlier cars used the big main relay that typically could be fixed by resoldering the board.