Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Down to only one Honda. my 2007 Civic...2005 CRV bit the dust

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Down to only one Honda. my 2007 Civic...2005 CRV bit the dust

Last Saturday night, 16 year old granddaughter driving the CRV with 115K on it had a car come from a side street at her side. Everyone one was going slow enough that she tuned hard left but rear of CRV spun on around and he caught her in back right door and rear quarter panel with a glancing blow. The back wheel is cocked around at an odd angle. To make matter worst, she then went over a curb before stopping. The right side air curtain deployed even though she was alone. All 4 tires are still up.

Car looked and drove like brand new. Interior was covered with western terry towel seat covers that RIP made and interiour looks like brand new. Purchased new and maintained and garage kept. Appears NADA is $7500. even though last personal property from city said $9500.

Of course I am in Mexico. Insurance told GD it is totaled. Hard to believe. Never had to ever deal with insurance before. Not sure what they are basing value on.

Know one thing, someone will sure be lucky if I loose car over this with all the good parts on it. Insurance will surely sell it and recover most of their money? You think?

Any thought. Will try to post pictures if I can get them off messenger on my iphone to my pictures. Nissan sure opened up. GD said she saw him coming slowly but just kept speeding up like not seeing her.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0561-07-03-17-12-14.png
Views:	64
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	89581   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0562-07-03-17-12-14.png
Views:	63
Size:	942.0 KB
ID:	89582   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0563-07-03-17-12-14.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	89583   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0564-07-03-17-12-14.png
Views:	85
Size:	640.6 KB
ID:	89584  

Last edited by RIPSAW; 03-07-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-07-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Down to only one Honda. my 2007 Civic...2005 CRV bit the dust

That looks almost like my old civic that I wrote off in December. The rear wheel wasn't as cocked on mine

Up here, once something is over 10 years old it's almost always a write off.
Plus seeing your pictures and the unibody/frame/suspension mounting points damage I can't say I'm surprised they wrote it off.

It's too bad they're going to write it off, but I'm glad your granddaughter is ok
Old 03-07-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but just kept speeding up like
texting?

Glad your fam is ok!
Old 03-09-2017
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Doesn't take much to rack up 10k in damages, especially if the SRS system activated.

I'd probably try to buy it back from the insurance company though and do your own repairs, at least with a mechanic who is willing to take it on. Really depends on how much they want for you to purchase it from them though.
Old 03-13-2017
Registered!!

It is hard to see in the attachments above but that part on the ground in front of the rear tire is that large pipe type material lower control arm that has the bolt that holds it in the suspension. Bolt is completely missing.

The person who hit her was flying down the ramp making a 90 degree left turn. Says his light was green of course. So his word, her word with no witnesses. He was delivering a pizza in a brand new car no less. His air bag went off. You can make it out on the dash I think. Does not look like it came out of steering wheel. Is that how they make them now?

GD actually did not know where he had came from since she got hit so hard. She had first thought a car had got her from the direction she was left turning across.

Odd how it sheared bolt rather then ripping out of that sheet metal bracket it bolts too.
Was it designed to do that or is that bracket it bolts too designed to be able to repair/replace it by welding in a part?
Old 03-16-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RIPSAW

Odd how it sheared bolt rather then ripping out of that sheet metal bracket it bolts too.
Was it designed to do that or is that bracket it bolts too designed to be able to repair/replace it by welding in a part?
No clue if they are intended to shear, but the bolts themselves are as stout as any other suspension fastener. I expect the impact force upon the wheel and suspension simply were far greater than design intent.

I can't tell much from your pics but I snapped a couple pics under a same-generation CRV today, maybe an 02 or 03:

Name:  5zuB50J.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  3.30 MB

Name:  tEbPS8R.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  3.27 MB
Old 03-17-2017
Registered!!

I was thinking it was a bolt but now I am scratching my head. Obviously, that attachment is a weldment, made as one piece, wrapped in rubber and rolled into the arm mount and welded onto the arm. It only comes mounted to the arm.

Arm on car still has mount and rubber in it. The attachment with the flats is totally gone.

I just got back into the USA and car is gone. However, still up in the air on how to defend GD. With lawyer and fight it or not in court or not. Both drivers got a ticket. GD got hit in side from the other driver obviously greatly exceeding the speed limit. Not even sure how he could have made the 90 degree turn since it's very tight under an over pass. GD had pulled out from way back since her left turn lane is set back so large trucks can make the turn that the red light runner was coming from. Normally car are coming at a craw because of a large curb the GD was swing around when he caught her. She actually thought she had been hit by someone coming in the lane she was making her left across.
Old 05-16-2017
Registered!!

Little update. Taken me a few months to get over this but the mother in law took the insurance money on the CR-V I had given the granddaughter and when out and bought a 2010 Hyundai Genius 2L turbo coupe. Put it in her name. Finance at least 4K more from a hole in the wall place. Sure the granddaughter will be asking me for the 4K when here mother does not pay the payments.

The car seems to run OK but has a check light on and the tire sensor light. A couple of the valve stems were broken and leaking. Got one new wheel sensor and had Cosco install 4 new stems kits and the one sensor. Seemed to fix that.

The check engine says oxygen sensor. There is one NTK 25210 upstream in the header. Little lower is an NYK 25199. The problem is it does not appear to have a cat. Someone has replaced the exhaust with an SS system I think. Has one huge pipe on the back. (hold on while I dry my eyes..)
Anyway, the guy at auto zone suggest replacing the sensors but figured it probably was not going to work. Suggested this.

O2 Sensor Eliminator MAGNUM EZ CEL FIX Oxygen Sensor Simulator

http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detai...simulator/(1/2)

Son suggested just wiring in a resistor in the lower wire to the downstream sensor.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff. Right now I guess it's running in closed loop. Gets sorry fuel mileage.
Old 05-16-2017

The check engine says oxygen sensor.
Come on, you know me. What is the exact code?
The problem is it does not appear to have a cat.
That won't cause a sensor code directly.

After the sensor fault is fixed THEN it will be able to set the code for the missing cat.

Son suggested just wiring in a resistor in the lower wire to the downstream sensor.
Um.....if HE wants to do that and HE will own the problem, by all means let HIM do it and wash your hands of the whole mess.

Does the car have to pass an emissions test? What kind of test?
Old 05-16-2017
Registered!!

Come on, you know me. What is the exact code?
That won't cause a sensor code directly.

They have just been resetting it. I just got involved when she showed up with a flat tire. Trying to figure what it is

After the sensor fault is fixed THEN it will be able to set the code for the missing cat.
Not sure what you are saying. Having no cat will not affect the oxygen sensor?

Um.....if HE wants to do that and HE will own the problem, by all means let HIM do it and wash your hands of the whole mess.

I wish. He was just making a suggestion for me..he already washed his hands of it. After the car wreck, I suggested not buying another car to her mother and let me resume driving her since she had quit trying in school. Her mother blamed all the problems on me and her father and moved her back in with her. Grandaughter when from two quarters of honor roll with me driving her to failing Chem and US History on her own by the time I go back to the US. She just was not ready for the independence. When I tried to talk to her mother, she told me I was just too much drama.

Does the car have to pass an emissions test? What kind of test?

We have a VA state inspection once a year. No emission. Just dash lights. I figured it would get better gas mileage tricking the ECM on the oxygen sensor

Last edited by RIPSAW; 05-17-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-16-2017

Not sure what you are saying. Having no cat will not affect the oxygen sensor?
How it works:

(Assuming the engine has one catalytic converter that is monitored, but that cat has been removed---because racecar)

The PCM must have a working oxygen sensor both in front of the cat, and after the cat, in order to measure and judge the efficiency of the cat.

If either O2 sensor sets a fault code for any reason, the PCM suspends self testing of the catalytic converter.....

(Many different fault codes will cause the PCM to suspend self testing of various related systems)

Therefore, if you have an O2 sensor code but the cat is missing completely, the computer stops when it finds the bad sensor and sets the code for it, and cannot go any further with testing related systems (cat in this case).

Once that sensor (code) is fixed, then the computer can pass the O2 sensor self tests, and then try to run its self test on the cat, at which point the computer will realize the cat is not doing what it's supposed to be doing (because it's missing)....and set the appropriate fault code for the cat.

I wish. He was just making a suggestion for me..he already washed his hands of it. After the car wreck, I suggested not buying another car to her mother and let me resume driving her since she had quit trying in school. Her mother blamed all the problems on me and her father and moved her back in with her. Grandaughter when from two quarters of honor roll with me driving her to failing Chem and US History on her own by the time I go back to the US. She just was not ready for the independence. When I tried to talk to her mother, she told me I was just too much drama.
Um, those folks have made their own decisions, it seems.
I'm sure you have the experience to foresee the eventual outcome of those decisions.....however you might want to just step back and let them deal with their decisions on their own.

"Some people just have to whizz on the electric fence for themselves."

FYI I've been dealing with some similar issues........
My own personal decision involved a size 10 Redwing boot and a curb, and I'm practically drama free now.
There's more to my story but I won't post it all here.
I figured it would get better gas mileage tricking the ECM on the oxygen sensor
Depends®

No emission. Just dash lights.
So it's like a scan for engine and related fault codes?
Old 05-17-2017
Registered!!

So you saying, by resetting it, it could actually show the sensors as good and a cat as an error? If both oxygen sensors are working and just no cat, is that going to affect mileage much?

I noticed also, the pop off valve on the turbo is letting off ever shift. Did someone just do that to make that silly hoover sound? What a piece of $@$@

The TPMS and low pressures light both came on last night. Checked hot tires at 40 lbs last night. They were set 35 cold by Cosco I think. Would too high a reading cause this error?

When our state inspector checks cars, for the normal lights/brakes safety stuff, he also makes sure no dash lights are on.

I am trying to step back. Other than trying to keep a 16 year old in school. RIP (wife) is even killing me over this since she just said what you said. I fixed the tires at Cosco trying to keep GD safe. I'm putting $20 a week in the tank trying to keep her going to school since she is still passing 2 subjects. She blew her EMT class certificate with attendance a few days ago with only 4 weeks to go. A $3000 class outside the school system I got her in.
Old 05-17-2017

So you saying, by resetting it, it could actually show the sensors as good
No, because PCM detects a fault during self tests for the sensors.

a cat as an error?
Sensors must pass tests FIRST

What's the fault code anyway?

If both oxygen sensors are working and just no cat, is that going to affect mileage much?
On many cars a failed cat can greatly affect fuel economy.

Most people who rip the cat out don't know or care about that because racecar.

Did someone just do that to make that silly hoover sound?
Probably, it's what all the cool kids do nowadays. Because racecar.

The TPMS and low pressures light both came on last night.
Sounds like a problem, possibly a flaky or bad tire pressure sensor. Needs diagnosed.

I am trying to step back.
Tell yourself this is not your problem. Repeat as necessary.