Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Knocking in engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choua Yang is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Knocking in engine

So my car is misfiring, and knocking badly. It feels like the engine is over heating but my thermometer doesn't point out that its overheating. I've replaced the spark plugs, ignition coils, boyfriend changed the timing belt, and the serpentine belt, plus the spring that held the whatever you call it together (forgot what its called). It was fine for about a month. Then it started knocking one morning and has been knocking really bad lately. The last oil change was done in january to december. Some where around that time. My check engine lights on, ran the codes. It kept on giving me the misfiring codes for cylinder 4,3, and maybe 2 all over again. OH and low acceleration. So at this point idk what to do anymore. I might just reorder the ignition coils again. SO if anyone has any idea what i could try or do. PLEASE LET ME KNOW. 😒
Old 02-20-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Knocking in engine

-Drain the oil, make sure to take samples along the way to look for metal.

-pull the pan

-check for damage
Old 02-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choua Yang is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright I'll be sure to check. I'll let ya know if it does or doesn't. And what if it does? What does that mean?
Old 02-20-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

If there is metal in the oil most people will trash the engine and get a new one because the metal will break any new parts you put in.
Old 02-20-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Compression test?
Cam timing recheck?

Has the engine been run low of oil?

Running the engine and doing cylinder cancelling checks can narrow down a knock source IF it's coming from a single cylinder/rod bearing
Old 02-21-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

As mentioned by Ezone do a power balance test. Could be Rod Knock: